Question About Hair Color

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Well, join the club. My first gray hair was when I was 18 yrs. I started dying it in my early twenties. I just use the box hair colors. For me, the only ones that actually cover my (difficult) gray is Preference or Excellance by L'Oreal. I like to change up colors. Since I had a medium to light brown hair color, I choose a range in color from dark blonde to medium brown depending on my mood. I also use some of the red's as well. Luckily my brown is lighter and the gray doesn't show through as much as people with dark brown. However, as I get older (50ish) I tend to use a lighter color because your skin tone changes and a darker color really drags down your skin appearance.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
sorry, can't be of help. My hair is so white now, i gave up!
Me too. I stopped trying to color my hair years ago. Now it looks like I stood face first in a snow storm. Just the back of my head has some salt & pepper brown left. My neighbor doesn't color her hair either and she has beautiful snow white hair.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Use to color off and on...more on...then decided the money could be used better FABRIC. In my heart and head I don't feel as old as the population says...well the body has a mind of its own. But it is salt and pepper, shoulder length, and natural curl....if you or anyone doesn't like it then bless them to look the other way. Garnier was the brand I used previously.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by starlight
The last time that I dyed my hair it came out crayola red. Went to the hairdresser to have it fixed and have been going natural ever since. I did not want a repeat of that red--I am a brunette and not sure what it was that I did.
I now go to the salon for a similar reason. I thought I was dying my hair a nice dark brunette once and when I washed it after the allotted time I looked more like Mortia (sp?) from the Addams Family, luckily it was close to Halloween and I used that as my excuse until I was able to get it corrected.

:oops:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

I'm a hairdresser also. I have to agree that it would be best to let a professional color your hair for you.
Originally Posted by Mundy Woodbeck
Myself I'm a hairdresser and I hate to say I've seen some bad home job's and the cost to repair them is much more then getting it done right the first time. It's very costly when you mess up and time cosuming and you'll feel better. Sorry not one for Salley either they actually try to give you advice, but not always knowing what they talking about. Give all this a throught!!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Been going to the same girl for eons.........and she uses Clairol.....which works just great on my hair.
Away for the winter, and the girl here told me.."oh, what I use is so much better"

I left there looking like Bozo, the clown !!!!!

When you find something that works for you, stick with it !!!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM

PERFERANCE BY LOREAL PERMANENT HAIR COLORING A 71/2 MY HUSBAND EVEN KNOW THE COLOR LOL. IT'S A LITTLE MORE BUT SO WORTH IT. IF YOUR HAIR TURNS ORANGE IT IS BECAUSE YOU DON'T LET IT LIGHTEN UP TO THE FULL WHITE. HAVE FUN PLEASE POST A PICTURE WHEN YOU ARE DONE
Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM

I have been using Clairol Nice and Easy Permanent hair color for about 25yrs and I love it. My beautician tells me all the time that my hair is so healthy looking. I had to do only body perms and only once a year though.....in past two years I have gone a straight bob cut and love it.....no perms anymore!! I hope you try Nice and Easy.....let us know!!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM

I don't mind my gray hairs, but I found that if I color my hair, my perms last longer! And if I don't perm, my hair is SO straight & SO fine, that it looks like I barely HAVE hair! lol
So anyway, I prefer the Loreal brands. I usually get them at Target when they're on sale, so they're not too pricey.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
I use Loreals feria hair color, my hair dresser always compliments my hair color(he doesnt do color)! Easy to use and turns itself off after the aloted time. Covers the grey for me:)It is not the cheapest, but have had to many problems with the cheap products: green, brassy, orange etc.....
My sister also uses Loreal and LOVES it and her hair is really pretty. She uses an auburn tinged brown and its very rich looking. As Fun2quilt stated, you want to stay away from ASHE colors because they tend to go greenish. Years ago I was a beautition...still have a current license but haven't done anything with the license in 40 years so I don't know the products anymore...what I do know, keep away from ashe colors (for me, anyway). Good luck.

I've been bleaching my hair for 40+ years and last week I went to the beauty shop and had it reverse frosted (heavy). I think I'm going to like it but I still see this stranger looking at me everytime I go near a mirror!

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: