Question About Hair Color

Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I have seen some really bad home color jobs -- so for me, it's worth the money to go to a salon to get it done right. OK, I go to WalMart -- it's a lot less expensive. Or find a beauty college -- they are even less expensive.... :D :D
A beauty school is an excellent suggestion as you have students working on you but you have their VERY EXPERIENCED INSTRUCTOR standing right there to suggest, and supervise. You should get the best service and color EVER in a school. Make sure you ask for a SENIOR student...they are pretty knowledgeable because they are getting close to taking their boards for their license but the school doesn't want a lawsuit so they have their instructors really watchful for each color job.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
sorry, can't be of help. My hair is so white now, i gave up!
mee too! I guess I am too lazy to color it - I feel "ya can't change the calendar - so why bother putting dye in my pores!" Oh well - I just don't look in the mirror!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I have seen some really bad home color jobs -- so for me, it's worth the money to go to a salon to get it done right. OK, I go to WalMart -- it's a lot less expensive. Or find a beauty college -- they are even less expensive.... :D :D
A beauty school is an excellent suggestion as you have students working on you but you have their VERY EXPERIENCED INSTRUCTOR standing right there to suggest, and supervise. You should get the best service and color EVER in a school. Make sure you ask for a SENIOR student...they are pretty knowledgeable because they are getting close to taking their boards for their license but the school doesn't want a lawsuit so they have their instructors really watchful for each color job.

I went to a beauty college all last year and have to say I NEVER got a bad color job -- However -- they can't cut hair worth a darn :lol: :lol:
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 PM

I had my hair frosted when I was 21. That was the only time I ever did any color to my hair. I told family & friends when I lost 100 lbs. that I was going to cut my hair. My daughter took me to a really nice salon & 32 inches was taken off my hair. Hair dresser asked me if I had my hair frosted...I just laughed & said 'no it's all natural' & she told me that her salon was now carrying 8 different shades of gray because it is the in thing.
So what if I have more gray than my mom...lol. It looks good on me, so lots of people say. Besides when I wear red..I do look pretty good. Just a few more pounds to go & I will stop! maybe.... lol
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM

Don't use color myself...went gray/while years ago and thought color was too much trouble. I usually try to convince folks to keep hair natural...but since some still insist on it, I can only encourage them to keep up with the color. I relate visible roots with men who do comb-overs...not realistic about what's happening naturally...no offense intended to anyone.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM

does the natural instincts really stay in for 28 hair washings?
what kind of shampoo do you use? I am thinking of trying it--all the others usually sting and the fumes from them bother my allergies.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:20 PM

I think grey hair is beautiful. I quit coloring mine when my daughter told me I was going to be a grandma. I did have good success with Clairol though.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM

I stopped coloring last fall, after over 25 years. I started going gray in my early 30's. With taking strong meds for my RA, I didn't want any more chemicals going on my body anymore. So now I am my natural silver-gray. I use Pantene Silver Expressions shampoo, and am really starting to love my "new" look.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Don't use color myself...went gray/while years ago and thought color was too much trouble. I usually try to convince folks to keep hair natural...but since some still insist on it, I can only encourage them to keep up with the color. I relate visible roots with men who do comb-overs...not realistic about what's happening naturally...no offense intended to anyone.
Too funny, ktbb!! And really true, too!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Banned

I am happy to say my hair is blond so the gray hair looks like I frosted it. So I don't have to dye it. However I have dyed my hair in my younger days and used nice and easy. and it worked great. Penny