Question about Paypal

Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 AM

I leave my money in paypal for things I may want to buy...I sell also..But I have a limit on my Paypal acct that they put on that my acct cannot exceed holding 500.00. So I usually withdraw down as it gets close to that and have them mail me a ck to my home...I refuse to give them my bank acct info....To withdraw and have them send me a e-ck it cost $1.50...which is fine with me as long as I don't have to give them my bk acct.
And yes, don't open any emails from supposive paypal asking for further info...it's a spoof...Contact Paypal immediately.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Airwick156
Originally Posted by k3n
Can I but I here and ask what percentage you pay to receive money by Paypal? I'll be selling a pattern soon and as I'm in England, Paypal would be the best way for you ladies and gents in the States to buy! I am used to buying myself usingPaypal but have never received money that way. I guess I could check my Paypal account, but whilst we were talking about it...
I don't have a clue k3n sorry. Although...I did see that when one person paid they took out like .59 cents or something odd like that dont know why though.
I just looked on Paypal and it would cost me 3.9% per transaction plus £0.20. :-D
If the money is sent as a gift you don't pay a fee. So when I am purchasing small items from someone I usually post it as a gift so they don't lose any money.
I love to sell stuff and use the money in that account exclusively for online purchases of fun stuff. Wish Amazon took PP!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 AM

Pay pal is great, its my secret stash of money to buy fabric. If you decide to leave it in you can request a pay pal debit card for that account. I use the card at the post office or fabric store! You can also request a transfer from your bank acct. and put money in your pay pal to spend, it really is the safest way to do business. Yes, do not respond to any requests, always go to your acct. and sign in from there and do whatever you need. Pay Pal doesn't send out messages requesting anything from you.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I suppose you could get away with that for one off payments, but I think they might smell a rat if I suddenly got hundreds of payments of the exact same amount as gifts! Maybe optimistic thinking 'hundreds' of ppl would want my pattern but best to think positive, eh?! LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Don't follow the link on ANY email to get to Paypal. Have it bookmarked in your favorites and use your own link. I usually don't open any of the emails that say they're from Paypal. Such an easy way to send me a virus or try to steal my info.

As a buyer, Paypal is great for making purchases from another country. It does all the exchange rate calculating and takes the money out of my account and put it into the sellers account in the proper form of money their country uses. I love it. I've had it for over ten years now and haven't had any problems buying from Canada or overseas.

Plus it's instant, the seller knows as soon as I pay that I've sent the money and the item I order gets shipped almost immediately without my waiting for a check to arrive at their destination and then even longer to clear. So I end up getting my item about 10 days sooner than if I sent a check by mail.

If there's a problem with the transaction and the seller won't do anything about it, I can go through Paypal and fight to get my money back. It's the perfect thing for a buyer and a seller.

I do all my ebay shopping and try to do all my online shopping by Paypal.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
I suppose you could get away with that for one off payments, but I think they might smell a rat if I suddenly got hundreds of payments of the exact same amount as gifts! Maybe optimistic thinking 'hundreds' of ppl would want my pattern but best to think positive, eh?! LOL
There is nothing illegal about using Paypal for "gifts" but I don't think you have coverage (Paypal protection) if something goes wrong.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by k3n
There is nothing illegal about using Paypal for "gifts" but I don't think you have coverage (Paypal protection) if something goes wrong.
But if it's a commercial transaction, surely it's illegal to claim it is a gift. :?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
having seen your work, I will be among the hundreds ;-)
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by k3n
having seen your work, I will be among the hundreds ;-)
Thanks Debra! Just working on the applique now and once that's finalised, I can get the pattern made up. :-D
Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

From the PayPal site about fees for money transfers:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside]https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...y-fees-outside[/url]

For small transactions, the basic charge (intra-USA) is 2.9% of the total transaction plus $0.30.

This amount is subtracted from the SELLER'S funds.

Which really is a hit on a very small transaction.

From what I understand, if one uses the "gift/personal" option, one loses the PayPal protection of the transaction if something goes badly.

Example: I sell you something and the total cost to you is $3.50 (this includes shipping)

You PayPal $3.50 to me as a purchase. $3.50 gets subtracted from your bank account or added to your charge account - whatever you do. The only number that matters to you is: $3.50

When the funds get to me:

I get an e-mailed notice that you've sent $3.50 to me. I then go into my account for the details.

I see that they have deducted $0.40 from the $3.50 you sent to me. $0.10 + $0.30 handling fee.

I get $3.10 of the amount you sent and PayPal keeps $0.40 of it as their fee.