Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question & Answer of the day! >
  • Question & Answer of the day!

• Question & Answer of the day!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:44 PM

Marge954, got me hooked on this one! Thanks, Marge!

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? yes, I have 3 of them

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? no

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? wasn't allowed too.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I have one

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? no
    Old 08-08-2017, 04:13 AM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? That's how I learned to sew

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? NO! Never.

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? Never got paid--just a favor for friends.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No, changed in the crib or on my bed.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? It's the only kind I would have--a large top loader. I think it does better job, and the "soaking" feature for me.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? I iron almost everything! Would you believe I even used to iron sheets and dish towels? !
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:31 AM

Sewed using treadle - no but wish I had one.

Crocheted items from the 70's hanging up - no, but they are in the cedar chest.

Baby sitting fee - I did a sliding scale though I didn't know that was what it was called. Fee depended on the number of kids and the situation. There was a single mom I sat for and I only charged her 25 cents an hour though she had 2 kids - my mom told me that charging her less was really helping her and a way to tithe to the Lord.

No kids so no changing table

Top loading machine - love mine.

Iron/press clothes - sometimes but also love my clothes steamer.
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Looks like I'm not the only one who appreciated having an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine at my disposal. They really were the best. If my new machine broke down and started having problems, I'd go back to a traditional top-loader again in a heartbeat.
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine, Yes, I have one and plan on making my Dear Jane on it.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home, NO

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit. 50 cents before midnight and 75 cents after midnight.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies NO, usually on my lap or the bed or even the floor.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine. I still have one, don't care for the front loaders

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing). I press all of my clothes, ( even T-shirts & blue jeans) and my husbands shirts
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:49 AM

I learned to sew using a treadle. My father traded shotgun for it in 1917. My son sold it an an Amish woman last year.
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, not yet! Both of my grandmothers were modern ladies and each ran industrial sewing machines at home. (And both of those machines still work great and are still in the family - I have one of them!)

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No, but I recently made some new ones out of marine rope for my patio planters!

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? I used to get paid $5/hour to babysit the neighbor's two boys. (This was probably...1990-ish?) My aunt & uncle used to pay me $25/day to babysit my 2 cousins & help take care of the house, I was a live-in nanny for 2 weeks every year in the summer when I was in high school, covering a gap between day care and school for them. Which I loved, they lived in the country with lots of animals and the kids were always extremely well-behaved; it was essentially a vacation for me.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No kids for me!

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Mine is top-loading but it's new and just as high-tech and annoying as the new front-loaders. I miss my old machine, it worked so much better!

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Wait, you can iron clothing? Who knew! OK, I do occasionally touch iron to clothing, but usually just to tame a wonky collar or hem that insists on flipping up. I don't buy clothing that wrinkles, as a rule.
    Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 AM

Marge954, got me hooked on this one! Thanks, Marge!

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? NO

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? never had one

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? never did...wasn"t allowed

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Still have one and love it

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? ​always

Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH
    Sewed using treadle - no but wish I had one.

Crocheted items from the 70's hanging up - no, but they are in the cedar chest.

Baby sitting fee - I did a sliding scale though I didn't know that was what it was called. Fee depended on the number of kids and the situation. There was a single mom I sat for and I only charged her 25 cents an hour though she had 2 kids - my mom told me that charging her less was really helping her and a way to tithe to the Lord.

No kids so no changing table

Top loading machine - love mine.

Iron/press clothes - sometimes but also love my clothes steamer.
    I remember babysitting (for free) for one poor mom, and to this day and so proud I did. She was a single mother, and such a dedicated mom, too, always trying so hard to do everything right. Totally well deserving of free sitting.
    Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, not yet! Both of my grandmothers were modern ladies and each ran industrial sewing machines at home. (And both of those machines still work great and are still in the family - I have one of them!)

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No, but I recently made some new ones out of marine rope for my patio planters!

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? I used to get paid $5/hour to babysit the neighbor's two boys. (This was probably...1990-ish?) My aunt & uncle used to pay me $25/day to babysit my 2 cousins & help take care of the house, I was a live-in nanny for 2 weeks every year in the summer when I was in high school, covering a gap between day care and school for them. Which I loved, they lived in the country with lots of animals and the kids were always extremely well-behaved; it was essentially a vacation for me.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No kids for me!

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Mine is top-loading but it's new and just as high-tech and annoying as the new front-loaders. I miss my old machine, it worked so much better!

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Wait, you can iron clothing? Who knew! OK, I do occasionally touch iron to clothing, but usually just to tame a wonky collar or hem that insists on flipping up. I don't buy clothing that wrinkles, as a rule.
    ROFL, about ironing! I know, ironing really has fallen out of favour over the past decade or so, hasn't it. But I hate to admit, I actually enjoy ironing. How crazy is that! LOL!