Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question & Answer of the day! >
  • Question & Answer of the day!

• Question & Answer of the day!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH
    Sewed using treadle - no but wish I had one.

Crocheted items from the 70's hanging up - no, but they are in the cedar chest.

Baby sitting fee - I did a sliding scale though I didn't know that was what it was called. Fee depended on the number of kids and the situation. There was a single mom I sat for and I only charged her 25 cents an hour though she had 2 kids - my mom told me that charging her less was really helping her and a way to tithe to the Lord.

No kids so no changing table

Top loading machine - love mine.

Iron/press clothes - sometimes but also love my clothes steamer.
    No sliding scale when I used to babysit. The only scale I worked with was a scale that was against me. One kid, two kids, three kids, four... five kids, six kids, seven kids or more, same .25 - .50 cents per hour.
    Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH
    Sewed using treadle - no but wish I had one.

Crocheted items from the 70's hanging up - no, but they are in the cedar chest.

Baby sitting fee - I did a sliding scale though I didn't know that was what it was called. Fee depended on the number of kids and the situation. There was a single mom I sat for and I only charged her 25 cents an hour though she had 2 kids - my mom told me that charging her less was really helping her and a way to tithe to the Lord.

No kids so no changing table

Top loading machine - love mine.

Iron/press clothes - sometimes but also love my clothes steamer.
    ----------------------------
    Treadle sewing machine - 7th grade home economics class
    No crocheting
    Babysitting scale .25 to .50 per hour
    No changing table
    High efficiency top-load washer <3
    Touch ups when necessary for clothing. I always iron pillow cases with fabric spray so I feel the luxury of ironed pillowcases! That's worth any minute at a board meeting.
    Younger son purchased Singer clothes steamer to handle his white shirts and dark pants for medical school.
    I loved the idea that he'll be neat. He had used the steamers for uniforms while in the Marines. :-)

JanieH -- just wanted to compliment you and your mom on how you handled the single mother's situation. You gave her confidence in what she could afford, independence,T and knowledge her family was safe. Tithing in that manner was a wonderful lesson. Thank you!
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM

How fun!! Thanks for starting a new one! (Next time ask who still washes all there dishes by hand?)

Marge954, got me hooked on this one! Thanks, Marge!

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, not yet. I haven't sewn on mine yet, as it still needs restoring, but I hope to have it up and running here soon.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No, but I remember my Gramma's fondly.

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? I was a big sister, so I did it all for free for my siblings. But they sometimes 'acted up' enough I should have either gone on strike or charged! Lol!

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? Yes, I am lucky and have a changing table now.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Yes I have one.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Only church clothes or if it's REALLY bad!
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:20 AM

LOL, NZquilter! Consider it done!

I was struggling to come up with good questions, but it was my first time, so here's hoping for better questions next time!
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Endora
    ROFL, about ironing! I know, ironing really has fallen out of favour over the past decade or so, hasn't it. But I hate to admit, I actually enjoy ironing. How crazy is that! LOL!
    When my DH and I were moving house a couple of years ago, our land lady dropped in briefly and saw all the packing boxes piled everywhere. On top of one was my iron. She looked at it, then at me (young and in my 20's) and said "What's this? Do people still use these?" I said, "umm, yes. I'm a quilter!"
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
    How fun!! Thanks for starting a new one! (Next time ask who still washes all there dishes by hand?)

Marge954, got me hooked on this one! Thanks, Marge!

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, not yet. I haven't sewn on mine yet, as it still needs restoring, but I hope to have it up and running here soon.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No, but I remember my Gramma's fondly.

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? I was a big sister, so I did it all for free for my siblings. But they sometimes 'acted up' enough I should have either gone on strike or charged! Lol!

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? Yes, I am lucky and have a changing table now.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Yes I have one.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Only church clothes or if it's REALLY bad!
    Re: babysitting, boy, were we ever ripped off babysitting our siblings for free, huh! LOL! The way I see it, we should have been paid .25 for every diaper we changed, and an additional .25 for every time we were spit-up on when burping someone!
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
    When my DH and I were moving house a couple of years ago, our land lady dropped in briefly and saw all the packing boxes piled everywhere. On top of one was my iron. She looked at it, then at me (young and in my 20's) and said "What's this? Do people still use these?" I said, "umm, yes. I'm a quilter!"
    ROFL! I know, some people are so anal when it comes to their comments, to the point of making you feel like owning an iron is taboo or something, or like as if the standard household iron went out with the Model-T Ford back in the 1920's!
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, my mom had one and I used it sometimes to mend something.
    You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? Never babysat anybody. I lived too far out in the sticks and nobody could afford to go out and hire a babysitter anyway.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? May changing table was the nearest bed.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I just bought a new top-loading washing machine. I heard too many bad things about the front-loaders.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? I haven't pulled out an iron in forever to iron clothes. I get them right out of the dryer and hang them up and they are not wrinkled that way.
    Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jcraine
    Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, my mom had one and I used it sometimes to mend something.
    You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? Never babysat anybody. I lived too far out in the sticks and nobody could afford to go out and hire a babysitter anyway.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? May changing table was the nearest bed.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? I just bought a new top-loading washing machine. I heard too many bad things about the front-loaders.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? I haven't pulled out an iron in forever to iron clothes. I get them right out of the dryer and hang them up and they are not wrinkled that way.
    Yep, straight out of the tumbler and promptly onto a hanger with whatever I can!
    Old 08-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, Grandma's 201 was a emachine, thank goodness. I have a treadle in my LR and just gave one away, but I don't use them.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No! Never had them - macrame, yes, but not crocheted.

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? 35 cents an hour to take care of three children - newborn to preschooler, clean and cook. It was a big deal when she raised my pay to 50 cents.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No, but I converted an antique dresser to one for my 5th child.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Me. I like it that way.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? When necessary, but not every item.