Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question & Answer of the day! >
  • Question & Answer of the day!

• Question & Answer of the day!

Old 08-09-2017, 03:41 AM

My friend and I could sew faster on a treadle than the electric ones in school. The school had two treadles and my friend went so fast on it that she put the needle through her finger one day. No flowers, didn't get paid for babysitting, used the bed or crib for changing diapers, top loader washing machine, and I do sometimes iron clothes.
    Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, my mother's. Took Sewing I and Sewing II in high school, 1964-65, classroom had electric black Singers, and my home project done on treadle. Still using it. In fact, doing a quilt piecing project on it currently.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? $.50/hr

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No, not even at babysitting jobs.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Use a GE Profile, top loader with jumbo stainless tub. Will not, never buy front loader.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Still wear 100% cottons, so yes. Love my 3 Rodenta Irons.
    Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? No, Grandma's 201 was a emachine, thank goodness. I have a treadle in my LR and just gave one away, but I don't use them.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No! Never had them - macrame, yes, but not crocheted.

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? 35 cents an hour to take care of three children - newborn to preschooler, clean and cook. It was a big deal when she raised my pay to 50 cents.

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No, but I converted an antique dresser to one for my 5th child.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Me. I like it that way.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? When necessary, but not every item.

I remember pay increases, too, when I used to babysit. Made me always feel as though I was into the big money.
    Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by vschieve
    Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, my mother's. Took Sewing I and Sewing II in high school, 1964-65, classroom had electric black Singers, and my home project done on treadle. Still using it. In fact, doing a quilt piecing project on it currently.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? $.50/hr

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? No, not even at babysitting jobs.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Use a GE Profile, top loader with jumbo stainless tub. Will not, never buy front loader.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Still wear 100% cottons, so yes. Love my 3 Rodenta Irons.
    Wow, how great that you're still using your moms old treadle!
    Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    My friend and I could sew faster on a treadle than the electric ones in school. The school had two treadles and my friend went so fast on it that she put the needle through her finger one day. No flowers, didn't get paid for babysitting, used the bed or crib for changing diapers, top loader washing machine, and I do sometimes iron clothes.
    The needle through ones finger always get's me! Feel queasy just thinking about it.
    Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 PM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine?
    No, but I own several.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home?
    No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit?
    When I did babysit (14-16), I charged by the kid. $20 per kid (averaged usually 2 kids for about 4 hours), overnight stays were $40 per kid (dinner and breakfast included).

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies?
    For my first one I did.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine?
    Gave mine up 2 years ago. I do love my front loader washer and dryer.

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)?
    I iron my clothes, hubbies work shirts never need ironing.
    Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM
    Power Poster

$20/kid, I need to get back in that business
    Old 08-09-2017, 05:15 PM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, often at my grandma's

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? Never had one

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? 50 cents / hr

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? Yes, always

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? Yes, Bosch makes a supersonic one now & I love it

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)? Yes, white mens shirts for church
    Old 08-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine? Yes, and I watch my cousin sew through her fingernail!

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home? On the back porch

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit? .50 and .75 after midnight

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies? no

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine? yes

How many here still iron/press clothing (aside from fabric when quilting/sewing)?
    I iron my clothes every day
    Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Have you ever sewed before using an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine?
    No, but I own several.

You still have crocheted flower pot baskets/holders from the 70's hanging in your home?
    No

What was the going rate (per hour) when you used to babysit?
    When I did babysit (14-16), I charged by the kid. $20 per kid (averaged usually 2 kids for about 4 hours), overnight stays were $40 per kid (dinner and breakfast included).

Did you have a changing table when your kids were babies?
    For my first one I did.

Who still uses an old-fashioned top-loading washing machine?
    Gave mine up 2 years ago. I do love my front loader washer and dryer.

I iron my clothes, hubbies work shirts never need ironing.
    Boy, babysitting sure was lucrative for you! Back in my day I would have been hard-pressed to make $20 in a whole month! LOL!