Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18... >
  • Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

• Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM

It does depend on whether they are girls or boys. DD became human again at 22. It took #1 son till 30, but he had a controling wife that he married at 19. She is now an ex! DS2 was never a problem and isn't till this day. They are 53, 51, and 46
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Yep, that know it all becomes a monster. My youngest will be 18 in May, he's already cocky and making plans. It took my older 2 kids about 2 years to fall flat on their faces and learn. I felt for them but who hasnt been there. I try to talk to my youngest about how the other to fell but all he sees is "Freedom". Live and learn.
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM

My daughter recently turned 19 and is a freshmen in college. she is also working part time. She THINKS she is a responsible adult! I feel your pain! My boys are 17 and watching her and learning....... I sure dread 18 for them!
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    It depends is it a girl or boy? I think girls are more of a problem then the boys are.
    My stepson is 19 and daughter is 18. My hubby n I have been to gether since they were 4 and 5. YES boys are easier teens/young "adults" than girls.
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM

One day they will come and tell that you are not as dumb as they thought. It will dawn on children one day that they have become their parents. When either time happens you sit back and laugh and say 'I told you so".
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 AM
    Power Poster

about a hundred years!
    i have 3 adult children...all went through different (phases) as they became adults...my daughter wanted nothing to do with (responsibility) and fought it with all her might...she's mid 30's now...and we both survived those days...both of my son's were pretty..... sure of themselves at that age...the youngest was probably the best...since he got to watch his older two siblings go through their (things) he avoided some (issues) :wink:
    the middle child...he knew everything by the time he was about 15...and although he is in his 30's now too...he still...knows it all...maybe because he's the one who has no plans of ever being a parent...sometimes i think you have to have kids of your own before figuring out you do not know it all....
    kids, no manual...each one is so different from the one before :thumbup:
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Somewhere between 17 and 25, they do indeed become human again - depends on gender, attitude, personality...just hang in there! My #4 is about to turn 20... only 3 more to go!! I always pound it into their heads - gently - that yeah, they are "adult", but they are also legally responsible for what they do. And none so far had done anything too bad - maybe life changing, but not arrestable! And if they are still living in my house? My house, my rules! "Deal with it"!

One of the best moments - when the most rebellious, a girl, called and asked ME advice on mothering!!
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM

When my DD was 13, I thought aliens had abducted her and put this evil bioch in her place. By 14, things were smoother. No real problems since then...I strongly advocate sending them away to college! when she came home, after having her first apt., she was a stickler for turning off lights, television, etc. That was a funny reverse. After college, we gave her a "promotion" from child to room-mate as that would require her to be respectful and clean up after herself but not allow her to whine "i'm hungry, when is dinner?" Now, she lives abroad and wow, do I miss her.

Laurie
    Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM

One girl, three boys. The girl was easier, she pretty much kept to the rules. The oldest son was the hardest, lots of backtalk , younger two never were much trouble, but by the time they all turned 18 they thought they were their own boss. DIdnT take them long to learn they werent as long as they lived at home. By the way, I couldn"t ask for better kids than mine, and that oldest son, he is the greatest . It all works out, you just have to work through the hard years. I think part of the problem is they feel like adults, but us parents still want to treat them like kids. Have to find the happy medium.
    Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Did you find that as soon as they turned 18, and "became an adult", that their attitude soured?

How long does it take for them to get over themselves?
    Oh lucky you! My step-son did that the minute he turned 13!

Someone told me that we have to think of it as an alien that takes over their mind & body until about the age 20-23. Then we will get them back & they will act like nothing ever happened.

And you know what? That's exactly what happened! Between 18 & 20 he started coming out of it & now at 21 he is a fine young man who we enjoy being with immensely.