Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing?  Can anyone help? >
  • Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing? Can anyone help?

• Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing? Can anyone help?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bambiquilts
    I usually trace the size I want onto inexpensive interfacing. That way you can use any of the sizes in the pattern. Especially good to preserve the bigger sizes for growing kids or big sisters.
    I tape original pattern to sliding glass door. Tape new pattern sheet over it and trace....works like a light box.
    Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM

I do NOT like these several size patterns!! They make me ill although I do buy them. I usually just fold down the sizes I'm not making.
    Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter
    I only buy patterns from Hobby Lobby when they are 99 cents (which is at least every other month). I buy 2 or 3 because at that price it isn't worth trying to trace off on other paper. I agree that especially on small sizes it is almost impossible to trace the sizes and I don't have a lot of patience anyway. I would think you would have to use tracing paper or something you can see the lines through. Sometimes I use scrapes from pattern pieces to trace off small pieces instead of stopping to unpin and repin a piece that more pieces are needed.
    I do the same - only I buy my patterns at Joann's when they are on sale. My time is certainly worth the .99 or 1.99extra that it costs me.
    Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 AM

How about cutting the smaller one first? then you have the lines for the larger size still there. Or, get some newsprint and make a second pattern...

Anita in Northfield, MN
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by ragquilter
    I only buy patterns from Hobby Lobby when they are 99 cents (which is at least every other month). I buy 2 or 3 because at that price it isn't worth trying to trace off on other paper. I agree that especially on small sizes it is almost impossible to trace the sizes and I don't have a lot of patience anyway. I would think you would have to use tracing paper or something you can see the lines through. Sometimes I use scrapes from pattern pieces to trace off small pieces instead of stopping to unpin and repin a piece that more pieces are needed.
    I agree !!! If I have to trace anything its onto freezer paper... at 99 cents, one or more patterns of the same outfit is very acceptable !
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM

I fold as much as possible and then in places like armholes I make several slits to the correct line of cutting and then fold back. If you make the larger size first it will be easier. Hope this makes sense.
    Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM

I've used lt wt interfacing, the grid line pattern fabric, and freezer paper to copy. I found for my needs that the freezer paper gives me the best results. Hope you'll find what works best for you!
    Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM

O.K., all you Stretch 'n Sew learners (am I giving away my age) there is a special paper for tracing patterns.
    Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM

After years of Heirloom sewing, I guess I am just used to tracing patterns. I use tracing paper that comes on a roll from an art supply store. It's a little over 24" wide, so fits most patterns. It's economical, and I've never had any problems with it tearing. Also really easy to see through for accuracy--no backlight needed. I just take my fine point sharpie and go to town. Not so difficult. So that's my 2 cents worth.
    Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
    Power Poster

I usually trace the size I want with cheap tissue paper. Sometimes I have to tape two pieces together but so far this has worked for me. I use a sharpie and label everything.