Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • A question for the people in the USA >
  • A question for the people in the USA

• A question for the people in the USA

Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 PM

All these negative comments regarding Black Friday remind me of Yogi Bera. He said, "No one goes to the ball park anymore because it's too crowded."

Well, in this situation he might have said, "No one goes shopping on Black Friday anymore. The stores are too crowded
    Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Oh yes many folks out there, and some good deals. Have worked many and can make it a fun event, tried to keep away and to go out at that time of night, when rather be sleeping, might be fun once just to watch the Kaos, Crazy part is folks rush out to buy then many items get returned, cause they changed their mind.
    LOL bad part is as much as I didn't want to went into a WM
    and found the last $50. Brother, little lonely machine waiting for a home!! Stuck to the back aisles, snuck in and out 30 minutes tops, and the people that will be using it were thrilled :)
    Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 PM

So glad to see I'm not alone in skipping the Black Friday sales! I told my friends that today was my Don't-Buy-Anything-Not-Even-A-Postage-Stamp Day. lol They thought I was being boring and righteous for not shopping the sales today but I just can't be involved in something that could get violent! Look at what happened today in New York. That poor man got trampled and even after screaming for his life people didn't stop stepping on him. What a horrid day.
    Old 11-27-2010, 02:02 AM

My two daughters and I have a tradition of going shopping on Black Friday, my youngest is pregnant and her due date was yesterday on Black Friday, but that did not stop us! We got great deals and I am almost done with all of the "bought" gifts anyway
    Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 AM

Stores advertise HUGE discounts on certain items, then you find out they had only 2 for sale, OR "they sold out already" People stand outside in the weather for HOURS, get knocked down and sometimes "meet their maker". No. I learned several years ago --- NOT a good thing.........
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee
    Ahhhhh, thank you so very much! Great to know different countries traditions, you learn so much.

Thankyou for your explainations, now I know what everyone is talking about!

Goodness me, people get into fist fights over stuff???? Gosh, thats extreme isnt it? :shock:
    It is really bad for Americans when people in other countries think Black Friday is a "Tradition". What an image we portray. LOL
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 AM

Black Friday almost sounds like the stock market crash. I wouldn't go to one - oh, take that back. Last year, I went to JoAnn's at 6:00 AM before I went grocery shopping. It is within 100 feet of the grocery store and I didn't have to wait in line or anything. The sales were the same as they always were - no problem. That's the one and ONLY time. Most people are online shopping anyhow. I saw a guy on TV last night who said he stood in line at Best Buy to buy everything for himself -"I'm selfish that way", he said. Uh, uh, not me! Edie
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 AM

We went shopping on Black Friday. We didn't get up at the crack of dawn, nor did we stand in any lines. We are almost ready to close on a home we purchased on auction (to buy, fix up and resell). We know what major things we need for this home. We saw the sales on Lowe's on line site & went to buy bathroom cabinets, microwave etc. None of them were marked "sale" in the store and salesman had to look them up on the computer. We will have to store these items for a couple of weeks but we saved hundreds. We have redone six other homes and have never reaped this kind of a benefit.
    Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 AM

LOL, :lol:
    Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
    Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
    Did you ever wonder, What do the people who camp out in tents do with the tents when the doors open? Do they leave them up? Aren't they worried someone else will come along and take their stuff. I would.
    I've always wondered that myself!
    In some cities the ordinances prevent the tents, so the people have parked their RVs in the parking lot and take turns standing in the cold/rain all night. Some even all day on Thursday. That is just absurd to me. There is no discount or sale worth giving up my time with my family to stand in line in the cold and rain outside a closed store. I think people have carried this a bit far.