Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • A question of perspective about money... and movie tickets >
  • A question of perspective about money... and movie tickets

• A question of perspective about money... and movie tickets

Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

If there is a sign in the theater that says "no outside beverages or food" -

and you bring in your own stuff to eat during the movie -

isn't that just plain wrong?

PTQuilts' suggestions for food before or after is a good one!

Maybe going to the new theater versus the old theater could be compared to shopping at the LQS for fabrics instead of at a chain store?
    Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 AM

If it's supposed to be a "special" outing for your DD. Let it be special and go to the newer theater.
    If it will put that much of a finacial strain on you, you should have explained that to your DD BEFORE you agreed to do this with her.
    bearisgray has a good point about the snacks. some theaters are very strict about it, could even remove you for violating the rules.
    Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
    If it's supposed to be a "special" outing for your DD. Let it be special and go to the newer theater.
    If it will put that much of a finacial strain on you, you should have explained that to your DD BEFORE you agreed to do this with her.
    bearisgray has a good point about the snacks. some theaters are very strict about it, could even remove you for violating the rules.
    Agreed ... snacks or no snacks, I would take them to the new, closer theater - saving miles, gas and travel time late at night would be WELL worth it to me - as both a mom and chaffeur !! :)
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and mention faith, although it is not supposed to be a conversation topic on this forum (according to the rules.)

We all do what we can to teach our children well, but some of it is up to them, and a lot of it is up to God. I had to remind myself about a million times while my son was growing up that he wasn't REALLY mine - he was God's. Day after day I turned him over to God and then took him right back!

When he was a teenager he queried me about the soft rug at the outside of his bedroom door. Little did he know, I spent many hours and tears on my knees and sometimes face right outside his bedroom door when he was fast asleep. I somehow believed if I was really near him when I begged God to direct him and lead him and teach him and protect him, etc, etc. my prayers would be better heard.

I can't begin to give advice about all the pitfalls of raising a teenage girl, but always remember whose she is, and ask that owner (God) to lead her path straight. Ask Him daily, hourly, by the minute, and believe He will do what you ask!!
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and mention faith, although it is not supposed to be a conversation topic on this forum (according to the rules.)

We all do what we can to teach our children well, but some of it is up to them, and a lot of it is up to God. I had to remind myself about a million times while my son was growing up that he wasn't REALLY mine - he was God's. Day after day I turned him over to God and then took him right back!

When he was a teenager he queried me about the soft rug at the outside of his bedroom door. Little did he know, I spent many hours and tears on my knees and sometimes face right outside his bedroom door when he was fast asleep. I somehow believed if I was really near him when I begged God to direct him and lead him and teach him and protect him, etc, etc. my prayers would be better heard.

I can't begin to give advice about all the pitfalls of raising a teenage girl, but always remember whose she is, and ask that owner (God) to lead her path straight. Ask Him daily, hourly, by the minute, and believe He will do what you ask!!
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

In our area, it's the rule that you cannot bring in food and drink from outside.

DH decided that this isn't the hill we want to die on... and so she can go with her friends to the expensive theater but there is a catch.

And it's thanks to an idea that was offered here! :idea:

She has to come with me several times this summer, to volunteer at a local food pantry. This is so that she understands that the price of a movie ticket - whether expensive or cheaper - represents enough money that it would really be a hardship for some people.

So that she has fun... and also keeps growing in heart.
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 AM
    Power Poster

Interesting thread -

A lot of thoughts have been brought up - in addition to "just" which theater to go to.
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Maybe going to the new theater versus the old theater could be compared to shopping at the LQS for fabrics instead of at a chain store?
    Hey, that's a very good point! The newer theaters are more expensive because they have newer equipment, which means better image and sound quality. The seats are more comfortable (and cleaner). They're usually made with stadium-style seating, which means a tall person won't block your view. There's more legroom and armrest room. It's simply a more enjoyable experience.

Following this thread just gets me all excited for the movie to come out. :mrgreen:
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

You know, that's what I like about this forum. I can post something that puzzles me, and people will chime in with so many more perspectives than I would ever have thought of.

And viewing the issue from different angles leads people to post lots of ideas and suggestions.

Plenty of wisdom here. It's a perfect illustration of the old adage, "Two heads are better than one." And here we have hundreds, probably thousands of heads!

:thumbup:
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM
    Power Poster

I think you've come up with a very viable solution.

Daughter gets what she wants (at the moment, anyway)

You will get what you want in the future (at least, you are hoping - - -)

:thumbup: