Question!!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM

She never owned a credit card in her life and doesn't owe the gov. Just the bills from the doctor and hospital. All the bills (elec, cable and such) are in my sisters name. The trailer only is in moms name. She does have a small bill at the drug store. So how long does it take to go through probate court. And how soon would it get started? Sice my sister is going to the insurace co. today she was going to see about getting the title transfered this week. So as of just yet she doesn't know about the probate. I will call her later and ask her if she has found anything out about it.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
She never owned a credit card in her life and doesn't owe the gov. Just the bills from the doctor and hospital. All the bills (elec, cable and such) are in my sisters name. The trailer only is in moms name. She does have a small bill at the drug store. So how long does it take to go through probate court. And how soon would it get started? Sice my sister is going to the insurace co. today she was going to see about getting the title transfered this week. So as of just yet she doesn't know about the probate. I will call her later and ask her if she has found anything out about it.
It differs from state to state. Probate filings and publications are some of the deadlines I referred to earlier. An attorney practicing in your state can give you list of those deadlines. Depending on the Small Estate Affadavit, you may not have to probate at all.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Duh. I just noticed you are in Illinois!!

IF it goes to Probate, a creditor will have 2 two years to file their claim against the Estate. Until the Estate remains open.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
When your only parent is hospitalized and passes on and they have life insurance. Can the bills be wrote off or are you to pay them off with the insurance money? I mean I know that you can or should pay them. But if someone is the only benificiary are they obligated to be pay if the bills are in your parents name?
If YOU were the owner of the insurance policy, I would think not. If they owned it and you benefit from it, or if there was anything else at all in their estate to cover their bills then the bills should be paid. IMHO, consider talking with an estate attorney