Quilter needs help, please

Old 03-14-2010, 03:36 AM

That is the worst of news with the best of results. You all are fine and that is a true gift. Stuff is just that.. you can lose it all and in an amazingly short period of time you find a way to have more stuff. You carry the treasure of the memories inside you always. I know its painful and please know we are all here keeping you in our prayers and praying that the little kitty comes home. Children are resilient and bounce back. Know that just like youthey experience the trauma, the sadness .. the loss and when you are at your whits end and your patience is so thin.. know that at least you have the skills to cope.. and they might need a bit more than you think you have to give. You have it. Its just hard. Starting over is not easy. But after the first few steps.. its not that hard either.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Just saw this thread after seeing the one about Cathy's broken foot, last night.
Poor Adrian. I hope knowing his kitties went to sleep from the smoke before...
I hope this makes it easier for him.
So glad you found Rudy and lacey.
You sure are a good hubby to post for Cathy etc.
So sorry about all this. I saw my brother's house burn down, next to ours, and saw the last of my mom's going down, (faulty timer on dryer and they left for Disney world.)
Someone mentioned some counseling and that is not a bad idea for Adrian. My nieces still remember, the "woo-woo's" (sirens), coming to the fire.
Sometimes ppl and especially kids, hold in a lot that you may not see. A visit or two, to a kid's counselor may help more than you know.
Play acting it out with puppets may also help him understand what happened.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you all. Praying that hearts heal and companies do their very best by you. Keep us updated, please. Quiltboard is family here and we all look out for each other. We are saddened by your loss, but also encouraged by your go-forward outlook. hugs to all, mousie :-D
Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Since this is a complete restocking need, I would recommend that we get a bit organized on the help front. Fabric is no problem, but all the other supplies and books might be worthy of a list. For example, it would not be a good idea for a cutting mat to be sent from CA (oh the warped mess) but I could easily send a rotary cutter. We don't want Cathy to end up with 4 cutters but no mat, or only 6"square rulers....What do you all think?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 AM

I am so sorry my Heart is with you. In 1976 We had a house fire. The house was a stucco house. Built in the 50's. Started in the livingroom. So much damage by fire, smoke and water.
We lost a lot. But no animals. Our insurance did cover the furniture but they do a depresitton Spelling ugh! on what was there. It didn't come near enough to replace our belongings. House was unlivable. A house Fire is something you really never get over. We were Lost!!!! 4 dogs, 2 teen daughters, 2 cats, 3 horses. We borrowed a camper Trailor to live in and it was allowed for awhile by the city. We finally got help, by family members. You have to take it one day at a time. It will come around and you will be doing and living again. But you will find you look at things differently. We did and still do.
As I said My Heart is with you all.
BillsBonBon
Old 03-14-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Since this is a complete restocking need, I would recommend that we get a bit organized on the help front. Fabric is no problem, but all the other supplies and books might be worthy of a list. For example, it would not be a good idea for a cutting mat to be sent from CA (oh the warped mess) but I could easily send a rotary cutter. We don't want Cathy to end up with 4 cutters but no mat, or only 6"square rulers....What do you all think?
I agree that organization and thought needs to go into this. I am not opposed to helping meet needs other than quilting. As I said earlier, I think gift cards to local stores would be of great use. (ie; Target, Walmart's, etc.) so they can purchase towels, kitchen items, clothing, toys, toiletries, whatever) And, of course, gift cards to a local quilt shop would be great. This way she can choose her own items. We all have such different likes and dislikes. Or, if she has no quilt shop nearby, a gift certificate to an online shop. And, we can all feel free to send fabrics or threads. Just my 2 cents worth! But, I'll go along with everyone else.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:15 PM

I love the organization idea!!! However, though I am more than ready to help, I would be willing to do anything a more experienced quilter told me to do...perhaps someone would be willing to post a "Quilters Wish List," and we could each speak for the item we would like to gift to Cathy. I really don't feel qualified to do that, as I am still a fledgling, but I will certainly help someone else with the task! Please, pm me and let me know. Thank you,all.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:30 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I will be keeping an eye on out for the list of things needed as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
I love the organization idea!!! However, though I am more than ready to help, I would be willing to do anything a more experienced quilter told me to do...perhaps someone would be willing to post a "Quilters Wish List," and we could each speak for the item we would like to gift to Cathy. I really don't feel qualified to do that, as I am still a fledgling, but I will certainly help someone else with the task! Please, pm me and let me know. Thank you,all.
I'm wondering if we could have Cathy make a wish list of her own and then we could each speak for the item we would like to get for her.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redquilter
Originally Posted by DianD
I'm wondering if we could have Cathy make a wish list of her own and then we could each speak for the item we would like to get for her.

I think that is a great idea. Does anyone want to be in charge. I am willing to help, but we need a good coordinator. I have tried contacting her mother but have not yet heard. I was quilting a quilt for Cathy thru my business before the fire happened, that is why I got an address from her husband to send her finished quilt to.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM

wish her husband would get back to us i know it will take her awhile