Quirky Habits

Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by burchquilts
Y'never know... I keep buying fabric & DH, Leo & I may be living in one of those boxes... down by the river! LOL! Good thang I saved boxes then... we could make a condo!
my family knows that when they give me a gift and I start drooling I'm probably looking at the box instead of the present!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
yeah, I'm looking at the decorating too.
LOL, this reminds me one time I left just the screen door closed and walked into living room in my draws and the repair guy just happen to get to the door.
When he knocked I almost made a new door through the kitchen wall!
When my kids were still at home, I went down to the laundry room to get a towel to wash my hair with. I wash my hair just in my bra & jeans (or sweats or whatever) because I wash it in the kitchen sink. I came sauntering out of the laundry room & my DS's little Boy Scout pals nearly had cardiac arrest!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
This is such a hoot!!!!! ROL -- Now I'm paranoid and 2nd guessing everything I do. I was telling DH about this post and he reminded me of my "quirk" that drives HIM nuts (harumph).....I refuse to outside at night. I can't stand the idea....we live in the country where there aren't any street lights. Even though we have motion sensor lights, it takes about 5 or 6 steps before the lights come on. That's 5 or 6 steps that the bears, bats or Big Foot could get me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I make him go out to my shop and turn off lights or get the ice cream out of the freezer...ROL!!!! Seriously -- I HATE the dark!!!
Our DHs must've been talking because I WILL NOT go outside after dark either. Lights or no lights. Just merely outside. We have bats. I HATE (& am horribly afraid of) bats! I'd never seen a bat before we moved to WI. When I was going to college & living in my apartment (a few years ago), one AM I was awakened by something scratching in the bed. Since I was the only person who lived there, I thought that was odd. I lifted the sheets & there sat a bat!!! In my bed!!! I screamed (I'm sure it's still echoing thru the halls of that apartment building!) & took off running! I called 9-1-1!!! So now that we live out in the sticks, I KNOW there are bats waiting right outside the door, just waiting for me to come out. No way! Repeat after me... bats are icky! Nightitme outside is icky!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM

hey, we had a 5' gator in our yard one night. Our lab went crazy and the kids were visiting and ran in and told me there was an alligator and wanted the leash.
For a moment I just couldn't figure out how they were going to put a leash on an alligator.
It was to hold back the dog ...
When we lived in Orlando, we lived on a lake that had 2 gators that would come up & peek in our fences, eyeballing our dogs. But I wasn't as afraid of them as I am of bats!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM

my family knows that when they give me a gift and I start drooling I'm probably looking at the box instead of the present!
Ditto! And also the bow. I save the bows (not the crumpled ones, but the good ones). It's stupid & wasteful to buy new bows all the time when you can take them off gently & save them to use next year. Eek! I'm a hoarder!!! A quirky, talkative horader! You think I should change my profile to reflect that?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 AM

Not really quirky. In meal preparation, you need a clean sink to draw water, drain veggies, etc. Hard to do with a sink or drainboard full of dishes.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 AM

I hoard empty boxes. Everybody gives me grief about it. Until they need to wrap a gift or send something thru the mail. Then suddenly I'm a genius.
One year at Christmas I made a quilt for someone in the family and had the perfect box for it. I asked for the box back. The next year I used the box for another quilt for another family member. Now if the family sees a package the size of the box from last year, they know it will be a quilt. It is fun to see the face of the person that gets "the box" at Christmas.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM

OMG, I am reading this while I eat my lunch at work. I'',m glad there's nobody else here right now. They would think I was NUTS!
I gotta tell you my BAT story!! For the record, I HATE BATS!!! We were remodeling our upstairs and had the walls/ceilings torn out to replace. That evening we had 14 yes, 14 bats in the house! One came down the stairs and landed on the couch right next to me. I screamed and jumped up off the couch and ran outside. Now, mind you, that bat landed right next to me, right where I put my hands to get up. EEEEEWWWWWW! I touched it. DH and a couple of his friends tried to shoot a couple of them, can't be done. But you can't tell a man anything. LOL Anyway, I moved out. A friend let me sleep on the couch at their house. DH kept asking when I was coming home, to which I replied, when that upstairs has been sealed so no more bats can get in!! Never seen him work so fast nor so hard on anything before or since!! We still occasionally get a bat in the house, DH thinks he found the spot and plugged it. We'll see about that. The sound of them flying around the room wakes me from a dead sleep. My famous "bat cry" can be heard all over! We have a tennis racket hanging by the door that he uses to get it. My cat caught one a while back. DH came upstairs, I was hiding under the covers, he must have scared the cat cause she let go and it scrambled off under a pile of something or other. We were both standing there trying to figure out the best way to find the blinkety blank thing when the cat heard us, ran over into the pile and came back with the bat. Layed it at DH feet. Can you say "Good Kitty". well that is enough of my rant. Oh, did I say "I HATE BATS"? Can't say it enough!!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 AM

I cannot believe how many of these things fit me to a "T". Boxes, yes I save them. Hanger, yes they have to hang the right way. I use the paper towel I dried my hands on to open the door. If they don't have that I use a pc of TP. If they don't have a trash can by the door, I will take it and find one, outside the door. I am anal about washing my hands. I think it is the result of a lifetime of biting my nails. If they are to be in my mouth, they need to be clean. Now I wear acrylics, when someone asks me how I can justify the $$, I tell them it is a health and safety issue!LOL
Blinds open in daylight, closed when it gets dark!! I used to be afraid of the dark and being home alone after dark. Finally overcame that, but I still refuse to go to the basement!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Doesn't it just chap you when you don't have a box that's the right size? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Yeah . . . but I usually do.