Quirky Habits

Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Oh no, honey, I'm 67 and long past menopause! But I ache, so the little pillows help support my 'parts'.....one under my head (side or back), one under or between my knees, one against my back, one against my tummy, and one to accommodate my upper arm or hand. The ones against my back/tummy allow me to feel supported so it doesn't feel like I'm using muscles to prevent rolling over; it's just more relaxing for me. I need to be warm, but not sweaty, when I sleep, again to relax muscles. I usually change positions maybe twice a night. The CPAP is helping to do that....deeper sleep.

Jan in VA
lol, maybe I should 'steal' dh's bi-pap after he's sleeping ...they say ppl with fibromyalgia don't get enough oxygen to their muscles!
I must move anywhere from 4-10 times an hour!
Here's a tip for ya: don't go to bed after eating potato chips without washing your paws or you might be awakened abruptly by ants gnawing on your fingers!
...happened to me...
last night!
or rather, "early" this morning.
Had to finally get up and go scrub and use alcohol!
Bummer!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by burchquilts
I'm sure not just the bat is still talking about what a nut job I acted like! My neighbors saw me running out of the building in my nightgown, with a quilt thrown over my head, screaming bloody murder (did I leave that part out last time???)! I'll bet they wondered what I'd been smokin'!!!
tee hee hee...I bet they 'knew' what you'd been smoking
my head is not the part I would cover if I ran outside, but then who can run anymore, lol?
Tell me,...the ppl that are afraid of bats - is it bc they are afraid of getting their eyes pecked out?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by burchquilts
Well, I'm weird (uh... hey... no comments from the Peanut Gallery) but I like my toast barely, barely toasted (mostly just warmed thru) with no butter. Yum... dry white toast... I love it!
that's not toast! that's nekkid bread
I suppose you can call it what you want, long as you eat and don't waste it
but how do you pass up an opportunity to have butter?
oh, did you see that headline about butter flavors may cause brain problems?
So glad I switched to real butter! yum!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
oh, did you see that headline about butter flavors may cause brain problems?
So glad I switched to real butter! yum!
What's that saying, I trust a cow more than a chemist? lol
Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Yum toast I like it toasted to where it is just getting some color and then it goes one of two ways. either Peanut butter on it or butter, cinnamon and sugar all melty and good! hmmm... i may just have to make some now lol
Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
lol, maybe I should 'steal' dh's bi-pap after he's sleeping ...they say ppl with fibromyalgia don't get enough oxygen to their muscles!
I must move anywhere from 4-10 times an hour!
. . . .
I don't have any medical problems (other than getting older) but years ago, I kept having to wake and change position, constantly. Finally got myself one of those thick "memory foam" mattress toppers. I got mine from Bed, Bath & Beyond, with a discount coupon; it's a different brand but just as good, IMO. ANYWAY, it's made a world of difference, in how I sleep! No more sore spots, from pressure. I got the thickest one, I could find and LOVE it! Give it a try, if you haven't already.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie
I don't have any medical problems (other than getting older) but years ago, I kept having to wake and change position, constantly. Finally got myself one of those thick "memory foam" mattress toppers. I got mine from Bed, Bath & Beyond, with a discount coupon; it's a different brand but just as good, IMO. ANYWAY, it's made a world of difference, in how I sleep! No more sore spots, from pressure. I got the thickest one, I could find and LOVE it! Give it a try, if you haven't already.
Neesie, how long ago did you get it? Do you find that it's hot? How well has it kept its shape?

The reason I'm asking is because when we replaced our bed about 5-6 years ago, we got a mattress that boasted a memory foam top. Man, I hate that thing - when I sleep on my tummy, I wake up super hot and sweating. It has developed 2 large divots in the spots where DH and I lay. When he's gone I try to sleep on the center hump to get it mashed back into shape.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Neesie, how long ago did you get it? Do you find that it's hot? How well has it kept its shape?

The reason I'm asking is because when we replaced our bed about 5-6 years ago, we got a mattress that boasted a memory foam top. Man, I hate that thing - when I sleep on my tummy, I wake up super hot and sweating. It has developed 2 large divots in the spots where DH and I lay. When he's gone I try to sleep on the center hump to get it mashed back into shape.
I don't remember exactly when I got it but I'm sure it's been at least 5 years. Have to admit it's a bit warmer, as it does conform to your body. It helps to use a cotton mattress pad, on top. I've never noticed any residual divots; it seems to renew its loft, fairly quickly. Wish I could remember the brand! It was cheaper than the Memory Foam but made of pretty much the same stuff. I had one of those Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons and it seems as if it was still fairly expensive (we have a queen sized bed). The only thing I'm not too thrilled about, is it's several inches shorter than the mattress. That's supposedly so that regular sheets will fit . . . but I'm sure a slightly larger topper would still fit the sheets!

Since I got mine, I've seen them in other places, even WalMart . . . but those are usually thinner. The one I have, is about 3-1/4" thick; seems like there was a thicker one but it was more than I wanted to pay. Do an online review search and see which brands are rated highest. Since it's no longer a "new" thing, prices have probably come way down . . . and it might be worthwhile to try one. If it doesn't work out, you can always put aside for a guest bed. Oh, one thing about it - I had to air mine out for a few weeks, before I could use it! When it first came out of the plastic (shrink-wrapped), it made my head hurt. After the airing, it was wonderful!

Just want to add - several years ago, I did some mattress "research" and the advice was to get a firm mattress, then add your own plushy topper. Reason was that the topper wears out, way before the rest of the mattress. Cheaper to just replace the topper, when needed.

Last edited by Neesie; 08-06-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM

I have been reading these and I keep trying and trying to think of some quirky habits DH and I have and I can't come up with any. His youngest son used to drive me crazy with his eating habits and the girl he married was even worse. I do like my paper money to be in order but that's because once I gave someone a $10 instead of a dollar. Now I know approximately how many $5, 10's and $20 bills are in my wallet (not enough for sure !) and the one dollar bills are first. Other than that, I really can't think of any. I was raised in a boot camp environment, I think that is why I don't have these habits.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I like my toast just barely toasted. I remember staying with my aunt during the summer when I was young. She would burn the toast and then scrape the burned part off into the garbage and then expect me to eat it. YUCK! Never ever ever have I eaten burned toast since. That is squirrel food!
My mom actually liked her toast kind of burned. Yuck!