Raise your hand!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Thunderstorm just blew through here. GS was over earlier helping me in the yard. Temp was 92 about noon. It's dropped to about 78. Yeah! Maybe I can sleep tonight. No a/c in bedroom and I didn't sleep worth a darn last night, just too hot!

Rain has mostly passed through, but sure hope we get more later. Forecast was scattered showers throughout most of the night. I'm in farm country; the farmers sure need more--lots more.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 PM

It has been miserable in Kentucky too! So far this summer, we have had in excess of 40 days over 100. Our humidity here is terrible as well. Many days were 80% or higher humidity. It's just been miserable. The drought has destroyed most of the corn crop country wide as well as other vegetables. Figuring grocery bill will sure be going up this winter.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

We all could use a few showers to help out ..
Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
I'll raise my hand. I'd had enough a month ago. And I never complain about the cold--I can always put more clothes on, but I can only strip down so far (and still be somewhat decent).
That's always been my take on it. You can always work a little harder or put on more clothes but, like the old saying goes, when you're hot, you're hot! Add in all the dreaded humidity & the heat just seems to get in you & not just on you. Ick! We did have rain last night & today & while that was welcomed, it sure did make it steamy! It's only supposed to be in the 80's today & that almost feels like fall (which, IMHO, can't posibly come soon enough!!!)! Enough already!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I too am sick of this humidity, just can not do anything. My body wants to lie down and rest. Tried to sew a little but that too was an effort. Give me the cooler weather any time.
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one this humid, sticky weather just saps. That didn't sound right. What I meant to say wasn't that I'm glad that anyone else has to endure this awful summer but that I'm glad to kow I'm not alone in not wanted to do anything. I don't even want to eat & THAT is saying something... LOL! I feel bored & restless all at the same time. Ick!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by jillnjo
We have been so fortunate to have gotten about 5" of rain in the past 10 days, after terrible heat and no rain. Our yards and crops are doing their best to bounce back! Yes, it has been the longest summer of my life. I would never move south unless my thermometer changes drastically. We are always warm enough with our wood heat and furnace, have AC, too, but would rather enjoy the outside air, if I could.

I wanted to go to a real good craft show this week-end, but I think I'll pass as the temps are in the mid-90's. Bummer. What do I need? Of course, nothing!!
Where are you in Indiana that you have gotten 5" of rain in the last few days? I live in Parke County and we haven't had rain since April. In fact, this is the 3rd summer in a row like this with intense heat and no rain. I'm really jealous of your rain.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM

The drought WE can do without but love the warmth of summer. Everything is growing and exciting. Not a winter person.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM

I grew up in the Lake George, NY area and I remember having 4 seasons....3 months of winter, 3 months of spring, 3 months of summer, and 3 months of fall (including Indian Summer). We knew what to expect with each season...well, now it is impossible to know what kind of seasons they will have in that area. Does anyone else from the northeast remember the seasons the way I do?

I now live in AZ and I never complain about the heat - we are in the desert and it is HOT in the summer, so how could I complain? But....we usually have 7-8 months of wonderful weather and it is worth the wait. Snowbirds by the thousands spend at least 6 months with us during that time to escape the winters in their home states.

Like others who are experiencing drought, we pray for rain and get little, but when it is a down pour it does a lot of damage because it floods. Oh, the woes of the weather everywhere....
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Yes I do remember, living in central NY in the 50's until now. Anyone that thinks global warming isn't going on needs to take the blinders off. Every winter, the snow fall was measured in feet, not inches and it went on from before Halloween until sometimes early May. I remember the spring of 1973 I was graduating from college. A freak, heavy snow came through, ruining apples trees, taking down lilacs, etc. This was the week of Mother's Day. Winters aren't what they used to be and that's not a bad thing. Seems like we get clobbered on the other end with heat and drought though.

Originally Posted by oma66
I grew up in the Lake George, NY area and I remember having 4 seasons....3 months of winter, 3 months of spring, 3 months of summer, and 3 months of fall (including Indian Summer). We knew what to expect with each season...well, now it is impossible to know what kind of seasons they will have in that area. Does anyone else from the northeast remember the seasons the way I do?

I now live in AZ and I never complain about the heat - we are in the desert and it is HOT in the summer, so how could I complain? But....we usually have 7-8 months of wonderful weather and it is worth the wait. Snowbirds by the thousands spend at least 6 months with us during that time to escape the winters in their home states.

Like others who are experiencing drought, we pray for rain and get little, but when it is a down pour it does a lot of damage because it floods. Oh, the woes of the weather everywhere....
Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Maybe it's age, but I find myself complaining when it's too hot, and then complaining when it's too cold. I think I want it just right....all the time.