Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Random Laundry Discovery and Comment >
  • Random Laundry Discovery and Comment

• Random Laundry Discovery and Comment

Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Why is he not drawing SS disability???? With it comes Medicare with medical and prescription benefits. My husband has drawn it since '93 and it has been a Godsend. Also you draw back to the time the disability starts. The lawyer gets 1/3 but it is a relief to have someone fight it for you.
    Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M.
    DO NOT give up, if you go away they do not have to admit they were wrong to use Agent Orange, I have 3 friends that all have problems with Agent Orange, each with a different type of cancer, at first they just thought the military would take care of them, Ha! They fought back and got their medical benefits and justice. Get a lawyer if you have to.
    That is my advice too, my hubby went through all that turmoil a few years ago, but he finally got his benefits. He just determined he was not going to give up.
    Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
    Thanks..

My hubby is stabilized for now so we are BEYOND relieved. If I tried to talk about our unexpected life events I wouldn't be able to see to type. In a nut shell - my hub is a Vietnam veteran who is falling apart from his exposure to "Agent Orange" during his service in 69-70. The VA is denying his benefits on a verbiage technicality - it's unimaginable and criminal. All of his military records PROVE our claims but that has not mattered to the VA. We've been going in circles with the VA for 4 years and the next step is a military hearing. He can barely leave the house (and when he does he's wheelchair bound) so facing all of this endless turmoil feels like trying to climb Mt. Everest using a spork. He has 4 neurologists, an oncologist and his PC just to keep him going.

We have had to force ourselves to started to count our blessings, and even tho' going back to work (and leaving him home a lot) was not anything we EVER wanted I am relieved I was able to find a good job given the current economy and ways of the world. For the past 4 years all of his medical expenses have come out of pocket.. so.. eventually the $$$ well began to go dry. I needed to head BACK out the door to work to keep us afloat financially.

Very hard times, but we count our blessings as it could be worse.

That is criminal. They should not be fighting this it has been proven time and time again. Nor should his medical be coming out of your pocket. NO WAY!! I fought for 6 years to get my disability so I sort of know what you are going through. It just makes it worse that it is a vet that is going through this. Good luck to you
    Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM

I agree with Pat M, be persistent. I have a 2nd cousin that eventually won his case and this then made life so much easier for him and his family. My prayers are with you. I really hate the way they treat our Vietnam vets after all they have done for us. I thank your husband for my freedom. Keep fighting he deserves the very best.

Also thanks for the laundry tip, I too have recently gone back to work after 7 months of "retirement".
    Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks to allll of you for the Agent Orange support...and prayers and blessing. It makes me SICK to hear these stories that you've all suffered through too. HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN IN THIS COUNTRY??? We just have to continue networking with each other and supporting each other. Reading people's comments in here have helped... really... thank you.

Re the hanger/washing clothes comments.. THOSE ARE GREAT TOO....LOL

Long day at work.. need to go put my tootsies up...

Much Love...

Felicia
    Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks. Anything that leads to less ironing!
    Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's health issues due to his service to our country. It is unbelievable that he is being denied disability payments.
    Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM

I started reading about laundry tips and saw that this became about veterans' benefits and healthcare. I am so, so sorry about what you and your husband have been going through. This is simply not acceptable in the US. We must treat our veterans with respect and provide the care they need. Do not rest until you get what you deserve. Write your Congressman, or write the President. Some TV stations have investigative journaling in the news segment. Try contacting them. Please tell your husband we thank him for his service.
    Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
    Write your Congressman, or write the President. Some TV stations have investigative journaling in the news segment. Try contacting them.
    Maybe it would make more of an impact if all of US wrote to our congressmen and contacted our local news agencies, and let them know how fed up we are with the treatment of OUR vets! It's not fair that they fight for our country, then they have to fight yet another battle just to get their country to keep promises that were made. Felicia, who are your representatives? I'll give him/her/them an earful!
    Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

If my clothes are wrinkled from the dryer or hanger I just toss them back in the dryer after spraying a light mist of Downy Wrinkle Remover on them. The clothes are wrinkle free by the time I'm done with my hair.