Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • read any good books? chergram >
  • read any good books? chergram

• read any good books? chergram

Old 03-03-2018, 09:10 PM

I am a voracious reader and have been all my life. A couple of years ago, my local newspaper published what they considered to be the top 100 books ever written (as of that date). I cut the list out and have been making my way through the list, which includes fiction, non-fiction, classics etc. I think I'm about half-way through only because I go to the library to check them out. Some are available in E-book format and available on library loan. Some, I had read previously but years before...I re-read them anyway. Since prepping to move, I packed the list with desk stuff. Ugh! I'm trying to do it by memory now...good luck with that..lol!

I read a lot of psych books because of my line of work but, even so, some of them are really interesting reading.

Last edited by Teen; 03-03-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    Old 03-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by chergram
    has any one read any good books what are you reading looking for something to read
    would like any suggestions thanks
    Thank you for asking this question. It has given me ideas for new reads.
    Old 03-04-2018, 02:21 AM

Ditto on Redeeming Love!
    Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 AM

One of my recent favorites is A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. I lean toward spy, mystery, thriller and occasionally Orson Scott Card-type sci-fi, and this book isn't any of those.
    Old 03-04-2018, 12:45 PM
    Power Poster

Right now, I have one about the life of 1964 Kentucky Derby Winner, Northern Dancer.
    Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 AM

Great discussion! I also loved many of the books mentioned...A Prayer for Owen Meany was a particular favorite. In the past few years I have been obsessed with true accounts on the Holocaust. I am so amazed by the horrors those victims endured with such unending strength. One favorite is...Life in a Jar, by Jack Mayer, another...The Pianist, by Wladyslaw Szpilman. Another true story, not on the Holocaust..The Devil in Pew Number Seven by Rebecca Nichols. I tend to need to have a compelling read that holds my interest or it is too easy to put down and get back to quilting! Not a bad thing!
    Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by recycler
    Great discussion! I also loved many of the books mentioned...A Prayer for Owen Meany was a particular favorite. In the past few years I have been obsessed with true accounts on the Holocaust. I am so amazed by the horrors those victims endured with such unending strength. One favorite is...Life in a Jar, by Jack Mayer, another...The Pianist, by Wladyslaw Szpilman. Another true story, not on the Holocaust..The Devil in Pew Number Seven by Rebecca Nichols. I tend to need to have a compelling read that holds my interest or it is too easy to put down and get back to quilting! Not a bad thing!
    I read a lot of those books, too. I read Once We Were Brothers not long ago. I think you'd enjoy it.
    Old 03-05-2018, 03:47 PM
    Power Poster

A fascinating book I read recently is titled The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte. I love the Brontes so it was very interesting to read about her family.
    Someone mentioned A Gentleman in Moscow- that was so good! Also Rules of Civility by the same author.
    Old 03-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by katybob
    I read a lot of those books, too. I read Once We Were Brothers not long ago. I think you'd enjoy it.
    Thanks! I just put my name on the list at the library! Also just remembered... The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown. It's about a rowing team in the Berlin 1936 Olympics.
    Old 03-06-2018, 11:41 AM

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown was a fantastic read for a view of history and inspiration that the seeming impossible is possible. I learned more about rowing than I'll ever need to know but it did provide insight to the past and present.

I, too, have been reading about Holocaust, survivors and those left behind. A book I found most interesting was written by German journalist Bernt Engelmann telling the story from the German point of view of living under Hitler ..... In Hitler's Germany, Daily Life in the Third Reich. He quietly defied the Third Reich while living among those who came under its spell.

I like my book group because it has broadened my reading spectrum. I've read, researched and discussed books that I would never have picked up if it had not been for them. I've been places in books that I would never be able to see and virtually done things way out of my box .... reading makes life much more enjoyable.

You'll have made some good suggestions to add to my future reading lists .... thank you!