Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Read any good books lately? >
  • Read any good books lately?

• Read any good books lately?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Jane Eyre and Devil in the White City will not make my favorites list. Jane Eyre was just too romantic for me. I think I'm too cynical for love conquers all. I can't really say what didn't appeal to me about the Devil in the White City. It seems like my kind of book, but I just didn't like it all that well.

My youngest son is an Anne McCaffrey fan. He has read them all. Sci Fi is not my thing but for those of you who like it, Anee McCaffrey and John Ringo are biggies at the library.
    Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
    I recently finished Water for Elephants and it was great.
    I highly recommend this one - loved, loved, loved the ending!
    Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM

[quote=mamatobugboo]The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - series of 7 books, you will NOT be able to put them down once you start. EXTREMELY well written, fun, you will fall in love with the main male character, sexy....really doesn't get much better in terms of pure fiction than this!!

Loved that series - others who read it told me about the Wheel of Time series. Okay - it's 12 very thick books, some parts really boring, but I'm on book 7 now, and will keep reading until I find out how the whole thing ends.
    Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM

[quote=Marjpf]
    Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - series of 7 books, you will NOT be able to put them down once you start. EXTREMELY well written, fun, you will fall in love with the main male character, sexy....really doesn't get much better in terms of pure fiction than this!!

Loved that series - others who read it told me about the Wheel of Time series. Okay - it's 12 very thick books, some parts really boring, but I'm on book 7 now, and will keep reading until I find out how the whole thing ends.
    I haven't heard of the Wheel of Time series - I'll have to check it out!
    Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM

To echo what some of the others said - The Help was excellent. So was Water for Elephants, The Kite Runner, 1000 Splendid Suns and One Thousand White Women. Didn't care for The Shack. It was weird! I agree that Jodi Picoult can always be counted on for a good read. Read many of the Elm Creek series. The first few were good ( but nothing earth shattering) but then, IMHO, they became insipid and I stopped. The Book Thief was excellent, so was Jesus Land (a true story), Escape by Carolyn Jessop and Lost Boy by Brent Jeffs. (both true stories) Just finished re-reading an oldie from years back - A Stone for Danny Fisher by Harold Robbins. Even better the second time around.

A great thread. Glad you started this!
    Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
    The Shack by William P. Young-amazing!
    Anything by Emily Giffin (girly but fabulous)
    Just bought "Last Song" and look forward to reading that
    I was going to say The Shack. I don't think I have ever read a book that has helped me more. If you have had trauma in your life (and who hasn't) this is a must read! It is one amazing story! I'm not sure if you can recomend it to your students because it has God in it (God forbid), but I'm sure that there are many kids that would benefit greatly from it. It makes you think and gives you hope. I have also just reread some of my Tom Clancy. Executive Orders is fantastic. If you like a good old fashioned mystery, you can't beat Agatha Christy. There are so many that I have loved (reading has been a passion since I was very little). There is a Frank Peretti series that was great. This Present Darkness, Piercing The Darkness and Prophet. I could go on and on.
    Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM

One more - The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain.
    Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM

[quote=mamatobugboo]The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - series of 7 books, you will NOT be able to put them down once you start. EXTREMELY well written, fun, you will fall in love with the main male character, sexy....really doesn't get much better in terms of pure fiction than this!!

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES !!!!! I read up to #5, then had to wait for the next one and lost track. Now it's up to 7 and I'll need to start at the beginning to get back in the groove and keep everyone straight! But that is definitely NOT a problem!
    Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM

[quote=booklady]
    Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - series of 7 books, you will NOT be able to put them down once you start. EXTREMELY well written, fun, you will fall in love with the main male character, sexy....really doesn't get much better in terms of pure fiction than this!!

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES !!!!! I read up to #5, then had to wait for the next one and lost track. Now it's up to 7 and I'll need to start at the beginning to get back in the groove and keep everyone straight! But that is definitely NOT a problem!
    ESPECIALLY when you get to meet and swoon over Jamie again!!
    Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM

And then, when I'm just drained and want an easy read with limited thought processes, I pull out Nora Roberts. My brain always comes up with a good looking guy or two!