read a good book lately?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Barb, that's what I say...I will never live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make and read all the books I have on my to read list. But I will admit, I'm going to have fun trying to get it all done! ~ Doreen~
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Mellie, my husband is currently reading Jean Auel's latest book and he is loving it. Don't go by what other's think. If I did that with my slection in book reading....I would have missed out on some excellent books! Just saying! ~ Doreen ~
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM

I have also been reading a series called The Labybug Farm Series. There are three of them. The author is Donna Ball the titles are:

A Year on Ladybug Farm (written 3/2009)
At Home on Ladybug Farm (written 10/2009
Love Letters From Ladybug Farm ( written 10/2010)

They all involve three women who have been friends for years, are in their 50's and decide it's time to retire...but to they really? They sell their homes and buy and old mansion which is actually a farm and they fix it up to become....well you'll see when you read them. I really liked this series. I enjoy easy, fun and light reading after a hard days work. And being that these women are my age..I could relate with them. I'm in the middle of the last book right now and hope that the author will write another to continue my enjoyment in the life of these three women whom through reading this book have become like friends. I can almost feel myself sitting on the front porch in a rocker sharing a class of wine each night with them. ~ Doreen ~
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rnreenie
Barb, that's what I say...I will never live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make and read all the books I have on my to read list. But I will admit, I'm going to have fun trying to get it all done! ~ Doreen~
You got that right. LOL I am a slow reader. Everytime I finish a book, someone gives me two.. Oh Welllll
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MOBRIDGE MOM
Okay.........I'm into a totally different style of books than you guys.

Like onthriver just finished the new JD Robb and also just read the newest Nora Roberts Fire Chaser and enjoyed both of them. Am also into a couple of different vampire series by JR Ward and Lara Adrian. Guess I just like the low brow stuff.
I started fire chaser, but then the library called me with two books that are new and only a 14 day lend.. so I put that one aside to read these two...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Several :)

"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese - young boys (twins) growing up in an Ethiopian Missionary hospital and learning to be doctors from their adoptive parents. I like stories in foreign places that give me 'flavors' of their culture and history. Was a great read. First person narrative (one of the twins).

"The Help" by Katherine Stockett. One of the best books I've read in years. Again 1st person narrative but told by 3 different people. Takes place in Mississippi in the 60's - 2 of the narrators are AA maids to rich white women, the other is a rich white woman who doesn't quite agree that AA maids are "different". You "feel" the 60's. Excellent read (or listen as is how I "read" it). They're making a movie out of this one, I think it releases in August.

"Room" by Emma Donoghue. Another 1st person narrative (getting the hint yet?), but this time by a 5 year old boy. He describes everything as nouns ... his room is named "room", "chair", "wardrobe", etc. He and his mother are confined to this room but I won't tell you how or why as that would give it away. I enjoyed the book as a whole, very original and fresh perspective. Not crazy about the ending though but it didn't "ruin" the book for me.

And ....

"The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexdre Dumas. Yes, the classic. Again I like foreign culture and period pieces. Love the basic plot line of justice or some would call it vengence ... intricate, calculated, excellent character development. Give this classic a shot when you have a LOT of time on your hands, it's an incredibly long read but well worth it.
We have lots in common, also read the Count 2 winters ago what a great read, also the HELP, have your read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Sarah's Key?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MartyT
I loved Water for Elephants...and the ending was one of my favorite endings to a book!

Recently finished, Paths of Glory by Jeffery Archer (a new author for me) and found I didn't want it to end. It is about a group of men in the 1920s who want to climb Mt. Everest.
He is wonderful also enjoyed Water for Elephants
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by BarbZ
This is such a good thread. Has anyone read Winter Garden?It is really good. Also I want to get The Hidden Garden? Thats my next.I like mostly books written from the 50's back. I love to read and quilt and there are just toooo many books and tooooo many quilts I will nver live long enough. LOL
Yes enjoyed Winter Garden
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4EVERquilt
Just the good book--the Bible
You might also enjoy the Book of Mormom
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM

I've started a MUST READ list... Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I like biographies and non-fiction... but there are some good reads in that genre:

John Adams by David McCullough
Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

Another interesting read is

The Language of God by Dr. Francis Collins

I did read an excellent fiction by Nicole Johnson... if you're feeling unappreciated, read this!! The Invisible Woman when only God sees

Enjoy!!