Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else? >
  • Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else?

• Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
    I recently started receiving books in the mail i did not order. my husband who works for the post office told me to write refused on it and send it back. a few days later i got a bill in the mail for 2 books. i called and told them i never ordered the books. they said they would stop the subscription but i had to pay for the 2. i told them i wasn't paying for something i never ordered. she insisted i ordered it and i demanded proof. of course they couldn't provide it. i then told them they could take me to court for not paying but i would countersue. then i proceeded to tell the company they owed me money for my time and i would be sending them a bill. they decided i was too crazy to deal with i guess and said they were dropping the whole thing!
    When I was a school librarian, I had a vendor call to try to sell me some very expensive books on preview. I told him no twice hung up and forgot about it. About 2 weeks later I get an angry call from the school treasurer because they received a bill for $120.00 and the same day the books were delivered to my library. I called the company and the customer service lady was very short with me and said she could prove I ordered them because the conversation had been recorded and she could play it back for me. I think she expected me to back down, but I insisted she play the recording back to me. After it played, her comment was "well, I guess you didn't order them" Duh! No apologies, just said she would cancel the bill and send me a prepaid RMA lable to return the books.
    Prayers for your mother and for you as her caretaker!
    Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 AM

The people on this board are a smart bunch! Thanks for the ideas. I have already gotten one of the magazines to cancel the subscription, and they put it in writing, so that's one dealt with. We'll see how many magazines they have subscribed me to....ugh, I hate scammers.
    Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Once and while we get such notices that I return and cc a copy of all information to the Post Master and a letter asking them to investigate the company for their actions. Nothing ever comes again. When items are sent through the US Mail it becomes a Federal issue.
    Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
    QKO

About 5 or 6 years ago, I started receiving copies of Better Homes and Gardens. I never ordered them. After a few months I'd get a renewal notice. I never renewed them. They keep telling me it's my last issue. Fine, I never ordered it in the first place. They've never tried to collect money or said I owed money, just that they'd like me to "renew."

It's been 5 or 6 years now, and it keeps coming, along with occasional renewal notices offering really good deals to renew. I think "free" is a good enough deal, so I don't renew. If they stop sending it, I won't care.

I wonder how many more years it'll keep coming?
    Old 11-22-2011, 04:39 PM
    Power Poster

If I get anything like this I don't open it, write "return to sender" and throw it back in the post. They will soon get the message. Sorry you are under such a lot of stress.....hope things improve for you and your Mother.
    Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM

Document, document, document! And keep the documentation.If it goes as far as the Credit Bureau, you will have all the documentation to show them, and as suggested, record all phone calls with these people.
    Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM

If you didn't order them you don't have anything to worry about they can not make you pay for them. They will have to prove that you or someone in your home order them. I had a simular problem .
    Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 AM

What a terrible thing to have happen right now close to the holidays and with your mom being ill. I wish you luck in getting it handled and blessings for your mom.
    Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

me too. first was Time mag, i got online somewhere and told them to stop it. they did. now i'm getting three mags i did not order. Time is the top company of those!!! the date on the address label is for next year. so far they haven't charged me for them but i'm sure they will try. most frustrating!!!!
    I always tell my husband to never say the word YES on the telephone. too many crooked people out there.

Last edited by nativetexan; 11-23-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM

When they call also mentioned that you have contacted the State Attorney General's office. This stopped bill collectors that were looking for someone by my Dad's name. He passed away 16 years ago and the collection agency wanted a copy of his death certificate! I told them I had called the attorney general's office on them. They stopped calling, but then two years later this list was sold to another collection agency and we had to do the same thing. This person who had not paid bills was in their 40's my dad would be 94 this year. The collection agencies are the scum of the earth. They treat innocent people like dirt and will not listen to what you have to say. I told them that the State AGO will take care of them, just send the bill to that address at the state capitol.