Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 AM
    Administrator

nope. Admin has made it very clear he will not add more sections.

that won't solve the problem, anyway. he can't keep creating more and more sections every time a particular type of topic gets popular - especially when they don't even relate to quilting. it would never end.
    Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    nope. Admin has made it very clear he will not add more sections.

that won't solve the problem, anyway. he can't keep creating more and more sections every time a particular type of topic gets popular - especially when they don't even relate to quilting. it would never end.
    Patrice - I was talking about a sticky thread at the top of GCC for funnies, not a whole new section - would that work or not? :-)
    Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM

I know I dont read the PDA ...I tried but as many have said you get lost real fast.
    How about the PDA section you still have your main diary but you are also allowed to start a I hate to say it this way but, " granny died" then after a month it can be deleted. Or I found out I have ms...maybe that one can stay since it is a life long illness and many have "been there done that" and others learn from reading it even if its a year old.
    That way its not adding more sections just allowing "bad news" to get to everyone with out the hunt and peck.....
    Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Some of we quilters can really be verbose, can't we? I'll try to keep mine short, but no promises.

Thanks to Admin and Moderators for this board. I would not want your job at all. I'm sort of like others who did not know there was a big problem. I simply do not open or will close what I am not interested in. And I do seem to be going into Main and Pictures more than GCC. It used to be the other way around.

I posted two jokes, not raunchy, and I want to apologize. That day there were way too many jokes. I got caught up in the moment. Sorry. Won't happen again. I'm finding that jokes are taking over the GCC. As others have said, one has to scroll several lines to find other topics.

I read some of the unhappy events posts and if I'm really interested, I will follow that person's thread. Otherwise I will not open it again. One that I follow is about Jamie's daughter, Morgan. Yes, it is depressing to read about this and all I can offer is prayer and a short note of encouragement. In the middle of the night, when everyone else is asleep, this board may be just what Jamie needs at that time.

I wish we could request prayer and good thoughts or vibes also. We have an upcoming event that could sure use it. But, I do understand it is against the rules and try to follow them.

I enjoy the posts about vacations, new houses or remodels, gardens, critters, and especially those from other countries. I really, really liked all the info and pics of the mini horses.

Again thanks for the good job.
    Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MsSage
    I know I dont read the PDA ...I tried but as many have said you get lost real fast.
    How about the PDA section you still have your main diary but you are also allowed to start a I hate to say it this way but, " granny died" then after a month it can be deleted. Or I found out I have ms...maybe that one can stay since it is a life long illness and many have "been there done that" and others learn from reading it even if its a year old.
    That way its not adding more sections just allowing "bad news" to get to everyone with out the hunt and peck.....

Well, I think that is a good idea. Well said.
    Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM

If GCC is only happy-fuzzy-kissy stuff, where could we put requests for members to check in when there are hurricanes, fires, disasters, and such? This has been a great way to make sure our friends are safe.

When I have something to add to a thread that could hijack it, I often take it to a pm. My point still gets made, and the topic hasn't been corrupted. It works for me.

Finally, when I joined, I carefully read through the rules and terms of service. At that time, membership was for adults over 18. I have to wonder if people have any concept of the rules that already are in place. Frankly, I'm a bit more offended by forced religion than a little off-color joking, but that's me.

From "Terms of Use", accessed from the bottom of the page.
    ALL PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 ARE DENIED ACCESS TO THIS WEBSITE. IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE, IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR YOU TO VISIT, READ, OR INTERACT WITH THIS WEBSITE OR ITS CONTENTS IN ANY MANNER. THIS WEBSITE SPECIFICALLY DENIES ACCESS TO ANY INDIVIDUAL THAT IS COVERED BY THE CHILD ONLINE PRIVACY ACT (COPA) OF 1998.

Another site I was active in had "greeters" who would send a welcome to newcomers (could be done as a pm) with link to rules and instructions for file sharing and posting photos. It ensured that everyone knew the basics and worked out well. I'm not sure if that would be possible on this scale.
    Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
    Power Poster

I apologize to anyone who's thread I have hijacked. The times I had caught myself doing it I had apologized directly to the owner of the thread. But in reading this, I have come to realize that I owe more apologies. Please believe me when I say I never did it with malicious intent. "Side tangents" are something that I have participated in and did not think enough about before submitting replies. I will be more aware of this in the future.
    Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 AM
    Administrator

ok. ALL you hijackers out there, listen up:

you apologize
    we accept

relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. it's "all good". it ain't like ya kicked a puppy or spit on a kitten.

next subject ;-)
    Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by Moonpi
    If GCC is only happy-fuzzy-kissy stuff, where could we put requests for members to check in when there are hurricanes, fires, disasters, and such? This has been a great way to make sure our friends are safe.

Another site I was active in had "greeters" who would send a welcome to newcomers (could be done as a pm) with link to rules and instructions for file sharing and posting photos. It ensured that everyone knew the basics and worked out well. I'm not sure if that would be possible on this scale.
    i've already addressed special circumstances in an earlier post.

are you volunteering to be a greeter? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
    'cause i know you don't want to add that to my to-do list. :shock: :lol:
    Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Yeah, I can do it - only trouble is finding out who the newbies are, but making a master greeting, then copy/paste - No biggie.

The member list has always been referenced by number of posts - is there a way to do membership date ranges?