Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
    Administrator

thanks for the offer. :thumbup:
    Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Thanks Patrice, that makes me feel a WHOLE lot better!!!

Maybe we should have a policy where, if Tangent Land (I LIKE that! :wink: ) becomes interesting in it's own right, someone says 'hey, I'm starting a new thread called 'blah' so we can carry on with this conversation?
    for the record, on a number of occasions, when 'ideas only' have begun their downward spiral, i have suggested that very thing. and, with an explanation of why. i don't mean to insult anyone, but if it was offensive the first time around, don't follow it. please.
    Old 07-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    nope. Admin has made it very clear he will not add more sections.

that won't solve the problem, anyway. he can't keep creating more and more sections every time a particular type of topic gets popular - especially when they don't even relate to quilting. it would never end.
    Patrice - I was talking about a sticky thread at the top of GCC for funnies, not a whole new section - would that work or not? :-)
    what is a sticky?
    Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
    Administrator

a "sticky" is an option Admin/Mods can use to keep a post in the blue area at the top of a section.

i tried stickies for pets, birthdays, etc. they are not popular. i can't honestly say i agree with any of the reasons behind the complaints but i'm not sure it would make sense to stick with something [pun intended ... i couldn't resist :mrgreen: ] if we already know it doesn't seem enjoyable to the majority.
    Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 PM

can we agree that people are different from each other? that different things matter to different people?

it's very important to some people, not only me, that we feel that no one looks over our shoulder. to respect differences is important. we are all capable of doing that.

we all know how a subject will begin if it's labeled. why can't we take it from there? let each person decide, as so many are saying they already do. i hope CC remains. if Jokes can be separated, then great. if not, then they should have a warning. and please, if they are apt to offend you, please don't read them. some of what is offensive is not that bad. they contain no foul language, no indiscreet pictures. if a person interprets something as 'dirty', that's their interpretation.

the thing i can't get over is that someone wants to tell me what is acceptable. to who? i try not to go beyond that point. as i said - no foul language, no dirty pictures. no violence, no blood, no gore (all three of which is much worse, in my mind. you may not agree). i don't watch tv. why? i don't enjoy what i see. i only listen to my own cd's because i don't like what i hear on the radio. however, i don't expect anyone else to live by my tastes. they can do what they want to. just don't make me. i don't know about jokes told by others, but i get a lot of positive feedback. if i didn't, wouldn't i stop?

i love the quilting tips ands stories, all the pictures and the critters. if you have a good idea or a great resource, please tell me about it. i share with the board all of those same things. give me a good recipe anytime. i welcome new friends. i'm not a monster. i just find different things funny. that doesn't mean i don't also find your jokes funny. for the most part, i do. i also don't find some of the marginal ones funny. they just aren't funny to me. why can't we just laugh at the ones we like?

if jokes are flagged and downers are flagged do we really need the joke and down police?

i'm really very glad this is out in the open. i wish it had been out a long time ago. and yes, patrice, i knew when i joined that this was an adult site. admin has brought our attention to that disclaimer a number of times for various reasons.

sorry if anyone thinks this is offensive in any way. just the way i feel. please respect my feelings.
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 PM

I would like to have hijacked explained a bit more. Is it when a thread changes topic completely or is it when we post our own pic on it too and tell about a similar quilt. I have done the latter and would like to know if this is the wrong thing to do.
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by billswife99
    I would like to have hijacked explained a bit more. Is it when a thread changes topic completely or is it when we post our own pic on it too and tell about a similar quilt. I have done the latter and would like to know if this is the wrong thing to do.
    Good point. For me Hijacking and jokes/subjects getting out of control are the same. I don't always realize it until it is over the line. Nothing ever intentional just happens.
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 PM
    Administrator

that's a good question 'wife99. i can only tell you how i see it.

let's say a person starts of talking about a quilt they saw that had bras appliqued to it. then somebody jokes that her own bra would be so small she'd have to use it on a doll quilt. or somebody jokes that hers would have to go onto a king size. the next thing you know, we're all joking around about bras and what goes in them. most of us are laughing 'til we cry as we go through the different comments, BUT we have - in fact - hijacked the thread. not everbody would appreciate that.

the other example you presented would also be a hijack because the first member posted to show off her work and get some feedback to either validate her success. if her post inspires you to show us your similar work, you should start your own thread to show yours. it's especially polite to acknowledge the first poster's as having given you the courage to show yours, or something similar.

there are situations in which posting your own pics in somebody else's thread would not be a hijack. let's say i swallowed my pride and posted pics of one of my disasters. then suppose i asked "where did i go wrong?" or "how do i fix it?" if somebody else posts a photo to illustrate their suggestion and make it easier to understand, that is not a hijack. it's a contribution to the conversation.

all you have to do before posting in somebody else's topic is ask yourself how you would feel if it was yours and another member added what you're thinking of tossing in. 99.975% of the time, you'll know what's right. if you make a mistake we'll just tar you, feather you, run you out of town on a rail, and maybe throw some darts at your picture. nothing drastic. or forgive you and move on, whichever involves the least work. :lol:

P.S. theee funniest thing just hit me. this thread is about getting suggestions for reworking the General ChitChat section. so, by going off on a tangent about hijacking, we have just hijacked the thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-24-2009, 02:38 PM

P.S. theee funniest thing just hit me. this thread is about getting suggestions for reworking the General ChitChat section. so, by going off on a tangent about hijacking, we have just hijacked the thread
    Are you sure or are we trying to get a clearer understanding of what should or should not happen? :wink:
    For alot of people this is their first encounter with a message board so alot of the terms and "rules" they dont understand. Its a learning process which trying to find a solution to the issue we have now is a learning process.
    Oh well yall have a great day I am off to finish Davids map book so i can deleiver it and the dog to him tomorrow night in Raton NM.......gunna miss this lump of fur :?
    Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Snip

P.S. theee funniest thing just hit me. this thread is about getting suggestions for reworking the General ChitChat section. so, by going off on a tangent about hijacking, we have just hijacked the thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Too funny.

I have been trying to read all of the post. I really don't have any suggestions. I would like to say I'm here for the quilting. I don't read the jokes. I get enough of those in my email. I don't read the PDA section. Well, I read one of them. Yes, I'm missing out on the lifes of the other board members. I am also afraid that I am missing out of some good quilting/sew machine info. Oh well. :-) I like the change to the recent topics. It has gotten back to quilting.

THANK YOU very much for the board Admin.

Patrice I wish I could help. But I can't promise that I will be able to moderate during vacations or in the mornings. If you can think of anything I could do PM me. I'm viewing post almost every night, but not always posting. To tired or lazy some times. :-(

Ok, now I have hijacked. :-)

I'm with Moonpi what about the posts requesting for members to check in when there are hurricanes, fires, disasters, and such? Can they stay in GCC. Okay, I know we are trying to gray the line. :-)

I have thought of a suggestion. How about a board etiquette sticky on the main page if that is do-able. All you would need to do is copy some of Patrice's post from this thread. She says it so well. :-)

Deb