Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM

I'm a new poster here and must say I do like this board and talking about quilting and seeing pictures of handcrafts people have created. I also haven't read the 8 pages of posts but would like to give my thoughts on this one. I have done some snipping for brevity.

Originally Posted by Admin
    If you want to post an argument for or against something, that's great. But please make sure to back your point of view with logical reasons and try to provide a solution. Please refrain from posting "empty" opinions such as "I like it" or "I don't like it" without any justification attached to it.

*I wholeheartedly agree. I also believe you should always post a positive if you are going to post a negative. I don't mean "that's great but", I mean "I love the colors and pattern but don't understand why you quilted that dead bug into it."

Common sense vs. strict guidelines

And when I ask them not to do that, they shift into the kindergarten mode on me. After that, communicating further is pointless.

* This is unfortunate but as Mark Twain stated, "common sense isn't very common", and I believe he is right. Some truly need to have things spelled out for them and when they are, they understand and follow the rule. However, we should be able to filter what is appropriate and what isn't. If some act like kindergardeners, maybe they ought to be in time-out from the board for a day or so. :cry:

Escalation of joking (or anything else) on the board

Does she even want to stick around to learn what a wonderful group of people this crowd really is or will she simply move on based on what she just heard?

* I agree with this and that point tend to close that thread and move on. This is a personal decision and that new person probably won't leave based on one or two threads that are unappealing.

If you don't want to read it, then don't open it

Often, I get the following argument from people who want more liberal guidelines on the board.

"If you don't want to read about something, then simply don't open that topic."

* I agree. It's really not that difficult. Not everything is going to interest you because the board reflects a variety of people.

What if you are not interested in reading jokes, prayer requests, discussions about personal problems and so on? Yet, the first 3 pages of the GCC section are filled with them.

* This a quilting board. Sure, other things happen in people's lives but to scroll or not to scroll is a choice, as is to post or not to post or to respond or not to respond.

Not enough time to check all sections of the board

*ahem...I'm sorry but I don't see how this is admin's issue. :roll:

Attention seeking and negative posts

We love attention. That's human nature. Unfortunately, it's easier to get attention when you post about problems than when you post about achievements. In short, negative stuff gets higher response than positive stuff.

Sharing on a personal level is what turns people into friends. So instead of completely prohibiting such posts or "randomly" deleting them, we set up the diary/personal section. Aside from other things, it allows people who really need help and support get it.

*This was a great addition, but it isn't being used the way I thought. IMO PDA should house interests personal to the person posting. Animals, gardens, births, tough times, announcements, pets, kids, vacation pics. You could open 2 additional sections for animals and announcements to clear things up. I do not feel these should be in GCC. GCC should be for topics of interest to the general public, such as what is posted in the daily newspaper.

My post is deleted

*This should be a statement in itself and you should not have to respond to the question.

Personal vs. interesting

It seemed simple to me. If you think that what you are about to post would be interesting to the majority of users, then post it in GCC. If you think it would only be interesting to your close friends on the board, then post it in PDA.

That didn't work out well. Some people believe that everything they post is interesting to other people. Otherwise, they wouldn't be posting it in the first place. On some level, it makes sense.

*I think this happens because some people's posts get viewed and replied to more than others, regularly, and attention is a great motivator. If someone posts an exquisite piece of work and there are 67 "great jobs!" I won't reply. Chances are the person knows its beauty before it's posted. If it's your first exceptional quilt or technique or quilting, great, but not each time. To me, this may be intimidating to those who are just starting out.

If you can come up with a way to clearly formulate the gist of what's required to address all the points I mentioned -- without a huge list of "do's and don'ts" outlining every conceivable topic for discussion, then please let me know and we might adopt it as the official guidelines.
    Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 PM
    Power Poster

quiltykitty wrote:
    ....I wish we could request prayer and good thoughts or vibes also. We have an upcoming event that could sure use it. But, I do understand it is against the rules and try to follow them.

well, I realize if ppl don't read the diaries, this offer isn't worth a whole lot,...but I have a diary in the PDA section, and anyone that wants to come on my thread, and let it be known, that they have a problem that needs prayer, is welcome to do so.
    I don't talk religion or politics, etc, in my diary, and I am not going to start.
    Doesn't every sect or denomination pray?

There must be, as I haven't counted,...about 30 diaries started...and we are not cliques, or gangs, or any of the other, negatives, suggested.
    I don't 'think', the ppl using these terms meant to be offensive, but it put's negativity towards some, in ppl's minds.
    I am an individual, and i feel a kind of kinship toward each and every member of this board, bc we love quilting and creating.
    I too, vote for a 'sticky' for jokes, bc joking and laughing is how we cope with the unfunnier parts of life. It would be a solution to having too many jokes on GCC.
    I came from a no-joke zone, and married into a family that jokes constantly. We raised our kids with love and laughter. It's one of the best parts of life. I understand too much of anything, is too much,...but come on,...no joking at all?
    >nobody make a joke on another person's thread,
    >nobody say something that isn't strictly about that topic,
    >nobody post a joke...
    geesh! it's like I'm going back in time..... :cry:
    catch y'all later...i'm going to the PDA section, to have a good laugh :lol:
    Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    jbs, i'm not trying to be sarcastic. i really want to understand this. i'm not sure there are lines.

Ohhh butterfly...I soooo didn't mean my opinion to be directed at you. Actually, I feel the exact opposite. I always find your posts to be interesting, funny and uplifting. My apologies if I made you think otherwise.
    I really was referring to an overall tone, or feeling (for lack of a better explanation) starting some months ago, that's been becoming more and more noticable as of late. It kind of started by a few people randomly yelling fire in a public place in order to start mayhem. It's mutated and changed over time, and even though those actions don't exist anymore, we're all still recovering from them. Kind of a rebuilding of trust that should never have been broken in the first place. I think the board is simply in the healing process, and the scars are in need of some repair.
    I believe that is what Admin and moderators are attempting to do. We are indeed important to them, and our opinions and feelings do count. I really do believe they are attempting to heal the scars that started a few months back; in a manner that benefits all. Again...this is mho.
    I'm looking so forward to the time when we all can get back to the quilting fellowship as we all have grown so fond of without the seeds of conspiracy and mistrust that were planted not so long ago.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 PM

"I don't know what to say about pet pictures, I enjoy looking at them, I know some don't...but the amount of views some get and as clearly labeled as most are it would be easy to bypass these if you are not interested."

thank you, amma. you have inadvertently made my point for me.

p.s. i like the critters. i always look.
    Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 PM

THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM ADMIN: (are you still thanking him for the trouble he takes to make nice? i certainly do, more ever. thank you, admin.)

Often, I get the following argument from people who want more liberal guidelines on the board.

* I agree. It's really not that difficult. Not everything is going to interest you because the board reflects a variety of people.

What if you are not interested in reading jokes, prayer requests, discussions about personal problems and so on? Yet, the first 3 pages of the GCC section are filled with them.

* This a quilting board. Sure, other things happen in people's lives but to scroll or not to scroll is a choice, as is to post or not to post or to respond or not to respond.
    Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
    jbs, i'm not trying to be sarcastic. i really want to understand this. i'm not sure there are lines.

Ohhh butterfly...I soooo didn't mean my opinion to be directed at you. Actually, I feel the exact opposite. I always find your posts to be interesting, funny and uplifting. My apologies if I made you think otherwise.
    I really was referring to an overall tone, or feeling (for lack of a better explanation) starting some months ago, that's been becoming more and more noticable as of late. It kind of started by a few people randomly yelling fire in a public place in order to start mayhem. It's mutated and changed over time, and even though those actions don't exist anymore, we're all still recovering from them. Kind of a rebuilding of trust that should never have been broken in the first place. I think the board is simply in the healing process, and the scars are in need of some repair.
    I believe that is what Admin and moderators are attempting to do. We are indeed important to them, and our opinions and feelings do count. I really do believe they are attempting to heal the scars that started a few months back; in a manner that benefits all. Again...this is mho.
    I'm looking so forward to the time when we all can get back to the quilting fellowship as we all have grown so fond of without the seeds of conspiracy and mistrust that were planted not so long ago.
    i love you back. xxx
    Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 AM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

As someone once said: you can please some of the people some of the time but you cant please all of the people all of the time.

I for one think admin does a great job :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I for one love this board and enjoy reading the many and varied posts and look forward to seeing what creations all the talented people on this board are making.
    I think we have to remember that here on the quilting board just like in the real world there are people with varying needs and wants and admin tries to keep most people happy most of the time...
    I think we should also keep in mind that this board means different things to different people..some people like the creativity side..some like the companionship...some like to learn about quilting and life in different parts of the world..etc..
    I for one have learnt so much from everyone here and with no friends who quilt find this a fun way to interact with a lot of different people with different ideas and thoughts to myself.
    :thumbup: so keep up the good work!!
    Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 AM

THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM ADMIN: (are you still thanking him for the trouble he takes to make nice? i certainly do, more ever. thank you, admin.)

It is early and maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet but I'm taking responsibility for the *items in this post because they are my response to admin's post. Maybe I should have posted in color? I didn't want to come off as flippant but tried to keep subjective.

I apologize if I have offended anyone but would like to know if I really have... :oops:
    Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 AM
    Administrator

Good morning. Since so many people refuse to start at the top of this topic and work their way through all the comments to catch up, I’ve decided to repeat some of my opening post from yesterday and add a few things gleaned from yesterday’s conversation.

as we continue the conversation today, let's please remember:

-US, US, US
    -let's keep it a discussion and avoid arguing
    -please review all the comments since you looked last to catch up

if I interpret correctly Admin's statements so far, here's where i think we are:

he will not add any more special sections. we need to develop a clear, concise, easily understood and easily moderated set of policies about how we'll post and behave within the sections we already have.

pets (which includes such things as mare stares), vacations, happy news (such as births, graduations, anniversaries, etc, etc, etc) will almost certainly be allowed to return to GeneralChitChat when Admin gets back. no need to campaign further for those.

the subject of jokes generated a lot of heat and has been discussed thoroughly from a variety of viewpoints.

There’s been some related discussion about how “adult” vs “family friendly” board policy should permit content to “read”. First, it’s unfair to apply this question exclusively to our jokes. If you read through every topic ever posted since Day 1 of the board, you’d find some really bawdy conversations in every section. We seem to have always been a pretty rowdy bunch around here. Many of us have accidentally and unknowingly crossed “the line”. An occasional reminder to ratchet back and behave ourselves a bit better – out of respect for the general membership - has been necessary and appropriate.

board membership is officially limited to people 18 years of age or older. However, we cannot assume that a person’s age determines what they do or don’t consider “too raunchy”. There are far too many factors in play that influence individual tastes and preferences. My own sense of humor was a LOT raunchier at 12 than it is now. (the whole love-to-get-away-with-what-i-knew-would-horrify-my-mother thing, don’tcha know. :lol: )

it's always going to boil down to a human judgement call on the part of whichever Admin or Moderator is reading it. if a post you don't like is allowed to stay ... well ... all i can say is don't read it again. you already know you don't like it. if a post gets deleted ... sorry ... get over it. Let’s please satisfy ourselves with the points presented so far and put the subject to rest.

it sounds to me as though we are headed toward a policy that limits GCC to good & happy. if you think somebody will need to grab a kleenex or a bucket while they read it, the post is best added to your PDA (diary/journal). not everyone will be happy about that. but please remember ... it does not change WHAT can be posted. it only changes WHERE it goes.

there will be exceptional cases in which the best place for bad news is, in fact, GCC. if you review the first page of GCC, you'll find an example of unhappy news that was allowed to stay because we knew that most of the members would want to know the event had occured and offer their condolences. (you will also see a happy post that, under the current system, would normally get moved to diaries or deleted. i chose to leave it there as a sign of things most likely to come back. please don't take it as a green light for everything. keep in mind that Admin has not yet come to a final decision about anything. [i see this morning that this request has already been ignored. the temptation is understandable, but giving into it is not helpful. it serves an example of one of the problems we have (people ignore policy) and will only add to the confusion.] )

in the event of unhappy news that is personal but that you believe will be of truly general interest and that needs to be easily and quickly seen by all, just send a pm to Admin or to me. we can make a decision based on the interests of the general membership and you don't risk getting your feelings hurt if your post is deleted.

Hijacking has been explained in detail. All past hijackers are hereby “officially” forgiven. We know that we will all pay better attention when adding comments to somebody else’s topic in the future.

This is a quote: "Although I am still surprised/puzzled by where it seems to be a no-no to REQUEST prayers, but okay to have prayers OFFERED. I personally have no issues/problems with either. Just don't say that only a certain sect/synod/parish of a certain "faith/belief system" is acceptable/unacceptable. "

Most often, people find this board for the first time because a link has appeared on the list of results when they do an internet search about some subject related to quilting. Search result lists are based on key words. The search engine (computer software) does not evaluate the overall content of any of the sites it selects for consideration based on those key words. It can, however, incorrectly “decide” that a site is of one type or another because of the number of times it finds those key words used within a site’s content. Also, people usually jump to conclusions about the main intent of a site within the first few clicks while cruising around.

We are especially careful to avoid any overabundance of topics that seem to promote or discourage religion in general or any one religion in particular. We simply don’t want search engines or lazy people to jump to the wrong conclusions about who we are or why this site exists.

Here’s a very important reality to keep in mind. When Member A shares distressing news, Members B thru Za17j5-98 will almost certainly respond with an offer of prayer. Therefore, asking for it is unnecessary. The difference between asking and offering may not be obvious to the human mind, but – trust me – it’s the system that has worked best to protect the feelings and interests of the group over the years.

Another quote: "How about the PDA section you still have your main diary but you are also allowed to start a I hate to say it this way but, " granny died" then after a month it can be deleted. Or I found out I have ms...maybe that one can stay since it is a life long illness and many have "been there done that" and others learn from reading it even if its a year old.
    That way its not adding more sections just allowing "bad news" to get to everyone with out the hunt and peck..... "

This is an interesting suggestion. I can see pros and cons. My personal reflex reaction, based on experience, is that this logical system would be immediately abused. The diaries would get pushed into the background and we’d be right back where we started. I’m sure that when Admin gets to this suggestion as he reviews everyone’s input, he’ll give it some thought. I’m soooooooooo glad the final decision isn’t mine. :lol:

Another quote: "Not enough time to check all sections of the board

*ahem...I'm sorry but I don't see how this is admin's issue."

I risk being accused of insensitivity, I suppose, but this is a fact. It will always be impossible to make everything equally convenient to every member.

thanks again to everyone who has contributed constructive suggestions and offered their personal assistance. that's what will keep our board the best quilting board on the internet. i'm so proud i could cry.

everybody is assumed to have apologized and everybody is assumed to have forgiven everybody else.

if there's something we haven't yet talked about, today is a good day to bring it up. just remember, please, to present your thoughts in a way you'd want somebody else to present them to you. they don't call it "The Golden Rule" for nuthin'.
    :wink:
    Old 07-25-2009, 04:33 AM
    Power Poster

Patrice, I think that was well said. Thanks.