Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-25-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
    I would like to have hijacked explained a bit more. Is it when a thread changes topic completely or is it when we post our own pic on it too and tell about a similar quilt. I have done the latter and would like to know if this is the wrong thing to do.
    I did this recently when they were talking about "big" ironing boards. I posted a picture of my set up that I had posted before. Was that intruding????? I'm sorry if it was but it was a question on who liked them
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 AM
    Administrator

if you scroll back and catch up by reading yesterday's conversation you'll see that yours is an example of something that is not considered a hijack.

relaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaR
    Originally Posted by billswife99
    I would like to have hijacked explained a bit more. Is it when a thread changes topic completely or is it when we post our own pic on it too and tell about a similar quilt. I have done the latter and would like to know if this is the wrong thing to do.
    I did this recently when they were talking about "big" ironing boards. I posted a picture of my set up that I had posted before. Was that intruding????? I'm sorry if it was but it was a question on who liked them
    I didn't think so - you were still "on topic" and just adding/confirming to what others had said - including the original poster's comment -

I consider it intruding if, for example - I'm talking about my dog died - and somebody posts - I have a wonderful new house and I'm so lucky - and doesn't even bother to say "sorry about your dog"
    Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 AM

While it is appropriate to have guidelines, the concept of "rules" that the Administrator has suggested has gotten way out of hand. The definitions of the various parts of the board should say it all. Those of us who are ie. interested in Pictures, should frequent that board. Those of us who enjoy Pictures but also like to keep in touch with "friends" on the board, probably also drop by the Chit Chat Board.

(In fact, there are so many rules for Chit Chat, I don't even know what is "okay" to post anymore........)

The rules (with the exception of deleting vulgar jokes) are ridiculous. And, a polite PM to the poster of the vulgar joke can be made.

Reglulating birthdays to one topic (with a sticky ) is stupid as can be said for pets and anniversaires. You know we do become friends on this board and if I want to wish someone a Happy Birthday, I am probably not going to wade through multiple pages of one size fits all Happy Birthday thread. My friend is important and I'm going to want them to have their own thread so everyone can extend their congratulations. And the same thing goes for pets.

I could go on at length but won't for the sake of brevity.

The other point is that we are all grown-ups and have the ability to not click on subjects that depress us, insults our intelligence or plain just doesn't interest us. This is America and we do have freedom of speech.

Simply put, I just think there are just too many rules proposed. Talk about quilt police, we now have the quilt message board police. Quilt police of any kind are a bad thing.

Too many rules will discourage people from posting (because they're not sure if it "follows" the rules) and discourage people from frequenting or even staying on the board.
    Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
    The other point is that we are all grown-ups and have the ability to not click on subjects that depress us, insults our intelligence or plain just doesn't interest us. This is America and we do have freedom of speech.
    WARNING: A Man Walked Into A Bar One Night...

WARNING: One Duck.....

Would you read through those? How about

WARNING: Once There Was A Woman. OR

W: Mary Had A Little Lamb

Can there be any doubt what's coming?

on the other hand: JOKE: When I'm old...

patrice,

read or don't read. the choice is yours. but at lest you know what to expect. the general posts can be, let's call it "grocery store talk" - things you might say in a store to your friend. those comments would be post-related, although, let's face it, they might wander a little. that might be the time for the next poster to bring it back into line, as a reminder.

do you see any possibility that this could work among grown-ups. because if it can't be considered fair warning between risque and general jokes, than all the arguing (yes arguing - not discussion) in the world is fruitless and a big waste of everyone's time. although i see compromise here and there, no one intends to completely change her mind.

i hope this is acceptable to most people here. i can't think of any other way to be fair to everyone.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe the followers of the bawdy joke posters could give (via PM) their e-mail addresses to the posters and be put on a group mailing list for new risque funnies?

I've gotten some via e-mail that really embarrassed me - and thank goodness they came to my home, not at the office!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 AM

bearisgray, i understand your embarrassment. in an email, it comes as a surprise. it shouldn't.

i think that the problem here is that the risque-ness comes out of the thought in the general thread. but at that point you could say " please go to CC and see "WARNING: How to cut perfect HSTs to continue". some people will be too lazy, some will want to catch the rest of the original post, and some will move over. in any event, it would die a natural death for lack of enough interest, and other posters should not be offended. it's the WARNING part that's important. when reading GCC you may skim over the title and keep going.
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 AM
    Administrator

oh, yeah. like i have a choice about whether or not to read all of this. as if! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

luckily, i am not the one who will make any final decisions. i'm just trying to keep the conversation on track until Admin gets back. i think i'm failing miserably in the "keep it on track" department, but sometimes effort must be its own reward.
    :roll:

i do now feel forced, however, to reveal my own interpretation of the public and pm input so far on the subject of jokes specifically. with very few exceptions, raunchy jokes are getting one :thumbdown: vote after another. i think everyone also understands that different people define "raunchy" differently, so there will be occassional disagreement about what stands and what's deleted. bottom line: it will be up to Admin and the moderators to decide on a case-by-case basis. there is not likely to be any explanation or justification offered.

the subject can be beaten to death over the next 67 pages, but i'm pretty sure that describes the general consensus of the way it should be.
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

as inspector clousseau (sp) in agatha christie books says, "it is to laugh" LOL!

who gets to choose who the mods are? I vote that i vote :lol: :lol:

will there be an equal number of positions represented? :mrgreen: like state representatives? :lol: :lol:

lighten up, folks :-)
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    If you read through every topic ever posted since Day 1 of the board, you’d find some really bawdy conversations in every section. We seem to have always been a pretty rowdy bunch around here. Many of us have accidentally and unknowingly crossed “the line”. An occasional reminder to ratchet back and behave ourselves a bit better – out of respect for the general membership - has been necessary and appropriate.
    I know bawdy when I see bawdy, and this is one of the cleanest forums around. Yes, some of the jokes are off-color, and some of the threads get hijacked. BTW, when I went off-color, it was always knowingly and no, I have no intention of apologizing - because those threads were funny! lol In general, I think we have been collectively self-policing and pulling on the reigns - we are adults, after all. I agree that if and when things get out of hand (spirit of the moment) we may need a nudge in the right direction.

This is also one of the kindest, most supportive, and most helpful forums I have encountered.

I am still confused about the "negativity" issue and why those negative posts are viewed as attention-getters. Example, why wouldn't it be OK to let the group know that someone's beloved (fill in the blank) has (fill in the blank)? We are a community and we care about the others even if we don't really know them. The personal diaries are a good idea for those who keep up with them, but the casual checker-outer of that section would sit for days sifting through all the pages.

This is not an internet version of Stepford, where everything is rose-colored and happy. This is an extension of everyone's life and so far, from what I've seen, it's pretty colorful (and awesome).