Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

apparently enough things were being posted by some bodies to get other viewers upset/irritated enough to contact admin

if it is only one person complaining about whatever, oh well. deal with it.
    if it is several, maybe there is a fire under all that smoke?

to the "iffy" posters - maybe you could get admin to help you set up your own blog or site so you could feel free to post whatever? it seems most of you know when things are kind of "iffy." You could have a posting that says: visit at ____ for the new joke of the day or something like that.

I come from a rural background - manure is an awesome fertilizer - I just don't want to see any of it in my punchbowl. And even if I didn't step in it, sometimes one can still smell it.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    if it is several, maybe there is a fire under all that smoke?
    Absolutely! But why wasn't the alarm raised in the open forum?

This reminds me of work: one or a few do something wrong. Instead of addressing the issue, it gets ignored UNTIL it can't get ignored any longer. Then HR steps in and thumps everyone on the head - whether they were involved or not.

A reminder of the Forum Rules at the time of the offense would have had a much stronger impact. Just MHO. (Hindsight 20:20 :lol: )
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    quiltykitty wrote:
    There must be, as I haven't counted,...about 30 diaries started...and we are not cliques, or gangs, or any of the other, negatives, suggested.
    I don't 'think', the ppl using these terms meant to be offensive, but it put's negativity towards some, in ppl's minds.
    QC let's not discount cliques or gangs too hard. I for one would be happy to be a member of the "It's ok to joke on or hijack my thread" gang. Segregation may not be the answer but wearing certain "colors" to show where you stand may not be a bad idea either. I like being able to inspire a different idea in someone by something I say. If I were to say the sky is blue and it inspires a beautiful quilt in you that has to do with apples then great.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:26 AM
    Banned

the moment you allow lifestyles onto a forum you open it up to "all" lifestyles, whether its wholesome rural or bawdy urban.

wouldn't the democratic solution be to allow all of it or none of it.

did anyone ever think that some people find the rural lifestyle offensive?

maybe some people believe all life is valuable and do not wish to hear about DH is going deer hunting, bear hunting, fishing, etc.

maybe to some people this is more offensive than a bawdy joke - a joke is harmless words and hunting and fishing is far from harmless.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
    Administrator

it's extremely difficult to answer MadQuilter's question about "negativity" without giving more examples that are even more specific than those Admin has already offered. i so definitely don't want to point fingers and hurt somebody who's already in distress.

some of the personal information members have shared has been so personal and/or so detailed and graphic they go beyond that impossible-to-quantify-but-obvious-to-most scope of what people are used to experiencing in a public place. and this is a public place.

it's also about more than content of individual topics. it's about volume ... that is, the ratio of "downer" posts to "uppers". we had lost the delicate balance between fun, information of general import, the bad news we're sad about are glad we didn't miss (such as a death in the family, an upcoming trip to the hospital, my house didn't survive the hurricane - but my family did, etc) and the good news we can't wait to share (my son is a drop-dead gorgeous genius, my new grandbaby is the cutest little guy you'll ever see, my dog learned to speak French today, etc.)

please don't make me go any farther than that in trying to explain that part of the problem we were having with the General ChitChat section. just review Admin's explanation on Page 1. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/23096.page
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 AM
    Power Poster

this is probably a dumb question - but I hadn't thought about it before this thread started

somebody reads every single word of what is posted here? now, that's a scary thought!

maybe that's something we need to think about?

would I knowingly make a comment that the whole world can access that should probably have stayed in the privacy of my own home, if not in the privacy of my own mind?

would I sign my real name to it if published on the front page of my local newspaper?

how many politicians have been brought down by some unthinking comment?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
    Administrator

I don't read every word of every post, but you can bet your bottom dollar that every word posted is eventually read by somebody.

we've all become so friendly here that it feels upclose, personal, and "just between us". in reality that is not the case.

the absolute and ugly truth is ... if you wouldn't have it announced over the loud speaker at WalMart ... need i say more? :shock:

does anybody else remember the fun those hackers had at our expense a few months ago? they pestered us for days with their snide, nasty remarks in and about some of the personal posts.

that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't share. it just means it isn't truly being shared privately.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

the absolute and ugly truth is ... if you wouldn't have it announced over the loud speaker at WalMart ... need i say more? :shock:
    That seems to about sum it up to me - the only thing to be added is:

with your real name and voice attached to it.
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 AM
    Power Poster

Are the PMs read by any one other than the recipient?
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 AM
    Administrator

nobody reads our pms.

what a terrifying thought! if pms are read by any but the sender and receiver, i am in BIG trouble!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: