Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-25-2009, 03:28 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    hijacking: To forcibly stop and seize control of some vehicle in order to rob it or to reach a destination (especially an airplane, truck or a boat).

To forcibly stop and seize control [by changing the subject] of some vehicle [a topic] in order to rob it [take attention away from the original poster or subject] or to reach a destination [the new subject tangent and/or following tangents].
    so when someone puts up a post asking what color fabric would you put with this photo and then the topic turns into a color theory thread wouldn't that still be on topic yet considered hijacking by another.

then we should only answer the OPs exact question and never discuss quilting theory at all unless someone puts up a post about theories.

also in the same vain, this is a visual art and many times its easier to post another pic or a PDF file that explains/answers the question better then words could. this photo was not posted to take away from the OP question and their photo - its provided to make an explanation easier not to get attention.

wouldn't this situation be considered hijacking by some and others not because now other people are commenting on the additional pic/PDF that has been posted.

no one knows someones intent when posting back on a thread and many are assuming an intention that wasn't there in the first place.

the statement your provided is great in a court of law but what is changing the subject here?

if the topic starts off as a quilting topic but then expands into a much deeper quilting topic was the intent to hijack or change the subject or better yet was it even changed?

a definition would be beneficial that defines what "changing" is and what "intent" is since trying to get attention away from one person and onto another has a strong role in this hijacking statement that you've posted.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 PM

I guess I'm the only one, but I look forward to the jokes each day and I've never read one of Butterflywing's risque jokes without knowing exactly what to expect before I opened it. She always gives a heads up in her discription, if the joke might be risque. I don't understand why someone would click on a post that they know is "iffy" and then complain to Admin because they were subjected to it.

I'm probably oversimplifying, but the Main board seems to be the best place for quilt related subjects and GCC for non-quilt related subjects.

If the threads are titled correctly, everyone would be able to open only the threads they are interested in reading. Maybe we would strive to be more accurate with the titles, if the threads with misleading titles were just deleted. :twisted:

Thank you, Admin and Moderators, for all your hard work.

By the way, Admin, I love the gorilla. :D

Old 07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
    Power Poster

I don't read every word of every post, but you can bet your bottom dollar that every word posted is eventually read by somebody.

we've all become so friendly here that it feels upclose, personal, and "just between us". in reality that is not the case.

the absolute and ugly truth is ... if you wouldn't have it announced over the loud speaker at WalMart ... need i say more? :shock:

does anybody else remember the fun those hackers had at our expense a few months ago? they pestered us for days with their snide, nasty remarks in and about some of the personal posts.

that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't share. it just means it isn't truly being shared privately.
    I'm a little confused...are we talking about, "invaders"...ppl that just joined to wreak havoc? or "true members" of the board?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:01 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray

the absolute and ugly truth is ... if you wouldn't have it announced over the loud speaker at WalMart ... need i say more? :shock:
    That seems to about sum it up to me - the only thing to be added is:

with your real name and voice attached to it.
    this is such a good rule of thumb, I am going to print it out, and tape to my monitor. :wink:
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    I don't read every word of every post, but you can bet your bottom dollar that every word posted is eventually read by somebody.

we've all become so friendly here that it feels upclose, personal, and "just between us". in reality that is not the case.

does anybody else remember the fun those hackers had at our expense a few months ago? they pestered us for days with their snide, nasty remarks in and about some of the personal posts.

that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't share. it just means it isn't truly being shared privately.
    I'm a little confused...are we talking about, "invaders"...ppl that just joined to wreak havoc? or "true members" of the board?
    ok, after reading several times :oops: , maybe your saying, you never know who is lurking and reading? you think it's all just fellow board members, and get to comfortable with your personal sharing?
    I think I've got it, now, thanks :D
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:18 PM
    Power Poster

I have a question to ask about the main quilt section and Pictures, but don't know if now is appropriate?
    I don't want to interrupt the flow...not being funny,...where are we now in this conversation/discussion?
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:59 PM
    Power Poster

I have a question to ask about the main quilt section and Pictures, but don't know if now is appropriate?
    I don't want to interrupt the flow...not being funny,...where are we now in this conversation/discussion?
    well, since I left for at least an hour, and no one else has posted, I will go ahead and put my question here:
    I get confused about where to post things...so, if I wanted to teach my five year old granddaughter how to make a quilt, and took pictures, say, 12 or more...would it go in main quilting section, or Picture section,...and...is this of interest to many, or should it go in my diary?
    Old 07-25-2009, 06:28 PM

Wow! Admin, you got to do what you have to do, in regards to this board. I don't care what you do, or what you change here, you will never please everyone, unfortunately. I know this because I was once a moderator on a message board. It was all I could do to keep "some" on topic and keep threads from being hijacked at times. From what I have experienced, the only thing for you to do is to make the rules, instruct your moderators in their duties and let the "chips" fall where they will. Some people may leave, but that is, ok, and the board will be the better for it in the long run. Otherwise, you will drive yourself nuts trying to please everyone.

This is one of the best boards for quilting that is on the net. Letting a few as it appears from what I have read, push this board in the direction of confusion that is apparent is a shame. If It were my board,.........but it is not. You have some great mods and my hat is off to them for the job they do. Been there, done that, it is not easy.

I hope I didn't offend you Admin with my opinion, it was all said with all due respect.

Let's get this over with and back to quilt sharing. :wink:
    Old 07-25-2009, 07:16 PM
    Power Poster

I get confused about where to post things...so, if I wanted to teach my five year old granddaughter how to make a quilt, and took pictures, say, 12 or more...would it go in main quilting section, or Picture section,...and...is this of interest to many, or should it go in my diary?
    I think you would be safe to post it in the pictures section since you have pictures to post. A heading could be "Sewing with my granddaughter." It would also fit in the main section since it deals with teaching the next generation. In the pictures section, it would be more personal and based strictly on your experience. In the main section it would open the discussion about sharing/teaching.

My interpretation of the discussion is that it has little to do with the other areas. The challenge lies in the CHIT CHAT areana.
    Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
    This is just an observation but hasn't this thread become exactly what admin was voicing a concern about initially? If I am wrong please correct me but isn't admin. the person who created this board? He set guidelines to benifit the group as a whole and not individuals. So of all the complaints received so far on this thread is it not being individualized? He was gracious enough to open this thread for constructive comments, he did not have to do this, he is being considerate. Somehow I don't think the consideration is being returned, instead just complaints. Like Patrice said, admin. will have the final say so maybe we should concentrate on helping with a solution instead of beating the same horse over & over again. (sorry no offense intended to all the horse lovers out there).
    Welp, thats my story & I'm sticking to it.
    Originally Posted by lfw045
    Wow! Admin, you got to do what you have to do, in regards to this board. I don't care what you do, or what you change here, you will never please everyone, unfortunately. I know this because I was once a moderator on a message board. It was all I could do to keep "some" on topic and keep threads from being hijacked at times. From what I have experienced, the only thing for you to do is to make the rules, instruct your moderators in their duties and let the "chips" fall where they will. Some people may leave, but that is, ok, and the board will be the better for it in the long run. Otherwise, you will drive yourself nuts trying to please everyone.
    This is one of the best boards for quilting that is on the net. Letting a few as it appears from what I have read, push this board in the direction of confusion that is apparent is a shame. If It were my board,.........but it is not. You have some great mods and my hat is off to them for the job they do. Been there, done that, it is not easy.
    I hope I didn't offend you Admin with my opinion, it was all said with all due respect.
    Let's get this over with and back to quilt sharing. :wink:
    I totally agree with what both CajunQuilter2 and lfw045 stated in much better words than I could. In my opinion it is Admin's board, his rules, along with Patrice and Shadow. You three truly have my heartfelt thanks for all you do!!!

And as Patrice mentioned, thinking of yourself in Walmart when you write about personal issues - I do use my real name as my board name. I googled myself one day, and my posts on here came up! Imagine potential employers, fellow church members, in-laws, etc, reading all you might post.... Maybe one way to tame some of the issues would be to require everyone to use their real name. :wink:

I truly do love this board, and all the absolutely wonderful people on here. I loved how the GCC was, the pet stories, photos of everyones homes, birthday wishes, the requests for thoughts or prayers, etc. But I've noticed a change in the last month or so. Maybe people have just become too comfortable, too relaxed? And maybe just remembering it is Admin's board, we are here as his guests, might help curb some of the issues?

And as lfw045 stated - Let's get this over with and back to quilt sharing. :wink:
    Many hugs & blessings to you all!!! :-)