Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 PM

Anybody who is posting a joke (or raiding another person's topic) should be mentally prepared to see her post deleted. Hopefully, people will learn not to take deletions of such posts personally.

Makes perfect sense to me!
    Did I understand that if the postings got too tasteless ... the whole thread was deleted?

It would sure be easier to handle just me if you deleted MY posts than it would be to deal with fifty two other posters who had TOTALLY stayed on topic.

I forget which page I was on when I pulled this quote, but I am going back in ...
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 PM

It's funny, it was said that some people have already broken the rules in todays general chat section. I just went there and checked it out a bit, and for me it was a sigh of relief. The loving caring atmosphere that i'd come to know is back there today, people caring about each other.
    I'm scared and tense right now on the forum. I'm scared to start any type of a thread. I can see why things have happened, and why personal diaries was brought in. But let me ask this. What is negative and what isn't? What is too much volume? The one thing that would be much better is better titles on posts. A few weeks ago i quit smoking, and i posted in the general section that i had. Patrice wrote me a VERY VERY nice letter, and explained that she moved it to the diaries. So after i thought about it for a bit, i decided i didnt want a diary, and it was deleted. Now, this is what i think. If i did a post and said, i'm quitting smoking today, please give me lots and lots of support, then that would have been a long, ongoing thread, that woulde belong in a diary. But i think a short, guess what, i quit 10 days ago, not needing support, just congrats, is nice for general. I havent read anyones diaries in the diary section. I think some people need a way to daily express themselves, and i think the diaries are great for that. Admin made that change a few weeks ago. I think the problem comes in, when that becomes a rule, instead of, a choice and a place for those that want to do that. I have made a choice not to read any of the diaries, and this is why. They are already so long and involved, there is no way that i can do that. So it's a sad choice for me. I dont want to hear, i got up and did my laundry, had coffee, went to th4e store. But, if something eventful happened, i would like to hear about it in general. The birthday thread...ive been on here a couple of years, and i cant remember there ever being more than just a few birthday threads, how could they possibly have been a problem. Now, i will prob miss wishing someone happy birthday, because...if it's posted in a new thread i will notice it, i will then post my congrats, and then i am finished with the thread, i dont have to read everyone elses good wishes to the person if i dont want to. But now, if i want to catch someones birthday, i have to read through pages and pages of congrats on the birthday thread, just to find a birthday announcement. How much of an inconvenience was it anyways, just to say happy birthdayt to people on a thread? Yes, when mimisharons neice died, and left her two little girls without a mom, i wanted to hear that. I dont want to read something like that on an announcement thread, and then continue the rest with pm's or whatever. That segregates us and turns us into cliques. If qwe have to send condolence in pm's, guess what happens? We dont learn and grow from each other. It was because of our open condolences and discussion on that thread, that many decided to contribute to two little quilts for those girls. I have no problem with any negative. So what? All they need is appropriate titles. And if someone doesnt title it appropriate, the mod could retitle it for them, or delete it. Hopefully retitle it for them, and help them learn the correct way to do it. I dont understand this problem with negative things. The only problem with that is some people dont want to read it. Then dont read it. Some people dont watch the news because it disturbs them. Me i watch the news, so i can have compassion and think of those going through hard times. Should more and more categories be made? No. Already, more categories, means more rules, means more br4eaching of rules, and the list goes on. I really and truly hope the diaries can be turned into a want to, not a have to. If someone is carrying on way to too much in the general section about their personal life, and i dont mean just a little bit, i mean way way way too much, then it can be sugge4ste4d to them t6hey start a diary. But these mandated diaries, they are too much for me to read, and i feel i am losing half my friends. And newcomers, how are they ever to jump into diaries with the huge long threads, and feel they can join in, without reading the persons wh9ole 100 page thread, they will always feel like an outsider. Henry has posted today he is having a hard time with the loss of his Grandma. What is wrong with that? Sometimes i am gone for a few weeks at a time, im in early stages of dementia, and sometimes not up to reading the forum, and when i come back, i usually do a small post, saying, hey, ive been gone, missed you all, but im back now. Now i will have to put that in a diary? No i just wont be posting that, unle4ss the rules are lifted and changed to guidelines. Look at Shadow coming back today, she announbced it, and we're all so glad to see her. What is wrong with caring for each other? I suggest the same guidelines that we had before all this, with the exception of, people that would really like to do daily ongoing of their lifes, to do a diary. Other than that, i would suggest that people be asked to try and tone the jokes down to so many per day. If you see thers already say 3 jokes on the forum that day, hold yours off til the next day. If you make rules that people cannot be personal, or share their sorrows, except for in a diary, this is what will happen. People will go to picture section, and they will post a photo of a quilted bookmarker that they made that day, and then they will say, i made this bookmarker for my mom, because she has cancer, and im feeling really bad about it. But in reality, they only made the bookmarker, because they wanted to be able to tell their friends about their mom. See what i mean. More rules means more breaking of rules. More open guidelines, leaves moderaters room to decide for themselves, when a topic gets too out of hand. I hope this is helpful, im not complaining. But im really feeling scared and tense and at an absolutely loss on the forum the last couple weeks. General is not the fun and caring place that it was, and im just scared and nervous the way it is now. I'm glad you asked admin, but in the end, i hope this casn be a fun place for everyone, including you and the mods. This is your place admin
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 PM

As to Mare Stare, I will admit that some of the posts did get a bit off topic, but we (as the group of starers) did try to bring it back around to some sort of normalcy, but when you survive on little or no sleep, you get a bit punchy. Mare Stare had ALOT of people coming in to see what was going on with the chatter about the mare and I think ....ok, I'm hoping that next year we can have it again back in Chit Chat. I would be willing to be a moderator for that thread and smack hands/mouths if someone got off tangent a little too far.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

I LIKED Mare Stare ... and, yes there was a lot of chatting and goofing off. I saw smiley faces I couldn't have imagined existed. I learned things about life and living that are never a bad thing to learn. I made friends that I probably wouldn't have spent much time with. I want the Mare Stare back. This was a great event and it took ONE thread for each mare ... it went away as soon as all the squishys were received and the top Starer figured out to create a new thread. I want the Mare Stare put back in CHIT CHAT ... or, I vote for MARE STARE to be put back in CHIT CHAT ... and I promise I will not add to the mayhem ..... very much <G>.
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM

I think we as a group have put out what we are wanting.

1. Put Chit Chat back to the way it was......Admin already said he'd probably allow Mare Stare back into Chit Chat next year and I volunteered to moderate it. I have my flyswatter ready to swat hands :)

2. We agree that we liked being able to wish/celebrate birthdays/anniversaries in seperate threads.

3. We agree that we like to see threads about where people live and their lives, to include pets and such in seperate threads.

4. We agree that personal family notices ie, births, deaths, etc should be in seperate threads in Chit Chat because YES, it IS personal in nature, but we are a family and we do band together when tragedy happens to others.

5. So, like I said in #1, we all agree to have Chit Chat back to the way it was.

What we are NOT all in agreement on is the jokes.
    We used to have few jokes posted, but in the past few months, the jokes were just rude in my opinion. Posting a rude, raunchy, dirty joke, in my opinion has no place on this board. This is a family atmosphere.
    Even posting it with WARNING in the title is not appropriate. If it's rude/raunchy/dirty, don't post it! We've never had them posted before, so why start now? Like I said, it's only been the past few months that they have started.
    Yes, you HAVE to be 18 to join the board, but if you do a Google search for lets say a joke like one that has been posted here, IT WILL be found on the search. We don't need that on this board.
    I'm sure there are people UNDER the age of 18 that READ the board, just don't join because of their age. Does that mean that there might be someone underage on the board? Sure, there's no place that "scans" your age when you join.

I like some dirty jokes as much as the next person. Would I post them to the board? NO! Why? Because this is a "family oriented show". Would you stand up at at PTA meeting, church meeting, or any other public meeting and tell your dirty joke? I don't think so. So, if you wouldn't do it there, then you SHOULD NOT do it here!

Admin has ALOT of reading to do when he gets back. I sure hope his eyes hold out.
    HE will make the decision and I sure as heck don't want to be him. I appreciate what he does for the board. He puts HIS time and HIS money and HIS effort into this.
    I remember a while back when there was the thought of cancelling the board altogether because of something that happened. We are over that event now and we are carrying on.
    This is what we need to do now.
    Instead of beating the dead horse.....oh my....don't really like that saying at the moment.....
    Instead of saying the same thing over and over again, why don't we just TRY to support Admin and the Mods and do as Admin has asked in his FIRST post, because right now, that is NOT happening.
    Admin and Patrice have asked that people hold off on their postings in Chit Chat, but apparently, that request is not being adhered to. So, I'm thinking that since people are not "LISTENING" to what has been asked of them, we (as a group) may not get our wishes.

Just my opinion.......
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 PM

I belie4ve it was said there is no hard rules in chit chat for a few days, until admin gets back, and so thats what i believe was said and what people are doing. Honestly, i dont think people even know what rules their breaking, theres so many rules right now, i cant understand them, and am scared to start any new thread, i just post on other peoples threads right now. There is a more friendly feeling in chit chat today, and i like that. I hope some of the friendliness can be brought back.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:09 PM

This is what Patrice says........
    let's not rush to post anything yet. let's talk some more and build our working list. (again, i stress, not written in blood or chiseled in stone. a place to start.) when Admin gets back, we can present it for his consideration and he can let us know which he approves and which he doesn't. it's just a few more days. (you can use the time to round up and scan all those pics you've been itchin' to post. )

But, it seems that everyone HAS rushed to post. I dunno...maybe it's just me, not understanding what was said
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:13 PM

I think your right Terri, just a misunderstanding, and certainly not the point of this conversation really. Admin asked for our thoughts, so im giving mine. People havent rushed to post, we're all so frigin confused and scared to post anything right now, so right now, we're talking this through and trying to give helpful ideas.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
    I think your right Terri, just a misunderstanding, and certainly not the point of this conversation really. Admin asked for our thoughts, so im giving mine. People havent rushed to post, we're all so frigin confused and scared to post anything right now, so right now, we're talking this through and trying to give helpful ideas.
    I don't know, and I certainly don't want to start any arguing, but I just counted 8 posts that were started since this thread went up.
    Like I said, maybe it's me and I'm not understanding. But with what Patrice said, I'm taking that to mean....don't post anything, wait until Admin gets back, which in my mind is not what has happened.

Ok, I'm done with this now. I'm getting a headache and don't really need that.

We all appreciate everyone's point of view on the subject and bottom line is.....This is Admin's Show and he's going to do what HE wants to do.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 PM

admin did not say not to post, and he said he wants our ideas. He is being very generous and open with us, not pounding us with a mallet for sure.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 PM

I didn't read the whole post, but from the words I am seeing, I think what Miss Patrice meant was that there would be no hard, fast rules posted right now ...
    because she said: Now is the time to post those pictures you have been itchin to post ...

See what I mean?