Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 PM

That's how i saw it too, thanks omak for explaining that
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Ok, one last post from me.
    I'm not talking about posting on THIS thread.
    Yes, Admin wants our feedback.
    I'm referring to Chit Chat threads in GENERAL...NOT this thread!

This is what Patrice says........
    let's not rush to post anything yet. let's talk some more and build our working list. (again, i stress, not written in blood or chiseled in stone. a place to start.) when Admin gets back, we can present it for his consideration and he can let us know which he approves and which he doesn't. it's just a few more days. (you can use the time to round up and scan all those pics you've been itchin' to post. )
    I'm going BACK to what Patrice says.
    She says to NOT rush to post and to GET READY. She didn't say to go ahead and post. And, I'm referring to threads on Chit Chat, NOT posts/replies to THIS thread.
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM

So Shadow shouldnt have told everyone she is back? And Henry should not say that not only his grandma died, but found out today his aunt died too? Nobody, Terri, told us we cannot post in chit chat, and admin said their would be no hard rules formuloated til he got back. No need for this Terri, calm down please
    Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM

To quote Patrice:
    "if I interpret correctly Admin's statements so far, here's where i think we are:

he will not add any more special sections. we need to develop a clear, concise, easily understood and easily moderated set of policies about how we'll post and behave within the sections we already have."

I don't believe Admin is asking for page after page of people pushing opinions, trying to find 5 ways to prove they are right, or going on about rights that, frankly, no one has here.

Clear, concise policies....I think Terri has already summed it up pretty well, but I would add just a couple of things.

1. Make it PG rated - or take it elsewhere. No matter where it gets posted in here, the little search robots will find it - and it, more often than not, doesn't belong here anyway. If there is any doubt, our Moderators are a PM away and more than happy to help *before* things get out of hand.

2 Any posts asking for things should be cleared with a Moderator first. I've done it; it's not painful at all :D At least give our hosts that courtesy before using their space. We do things for other board members, yes; we do so after clearing it first.

I honestly think that some of these things have been brought up just for an argument. Of course no one has a problem with Mare Stare, big announcements, etc. It's all gone on here before without any problem at all. We have done 'rowdy' without going 'raunchy'. Not agreeing doesn't mean we didn't understand what you were saying; it means we do not agree.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:07 PM

I've never given my opinion on this forum before, even when opinions have been asked for. I've never pm'd with complaints, anything like that. This is the first time i've given my opinion, and really didnt want to, but felt it was important to. Now i'm sorry i offended Terri and Butterflywing, and hope you both know i value your friendship more than any opinion i might have. So i've given my opinion, and hopefully some helpful ideas too, and i think i'll back out of this now, and whatever admin decides i'll be more than happy with.
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 PM
    Administrator

The Question: "I get confused about where to post things...so, if I wanted to teach my five year old granddaughter how to make a quilt, and took pictures, say, 12 or more...would it go in main quilting section, or Picture section,...and...is this of interest to many, or should it go in my diary?"

that's never been an easy one to figure out. it's about quilting and could be just as appropriate in one as it would be in the other. i wouldn't worry about something like that. it might get moved from one to the other, depending on the moderator, but it would definitely not get deleted.
    Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM
    Administrator

I wrote: "let's not rush to post anything yet. let's talk some more and build our working list. (again, i stress, not written in blood or chiseled in stone. a place to start.) when Admin gets back, we can present it for his consideration and he can let us know which he approves and which he doesn't. it's just a few more days. (you can use the time to round up and scan all those pics you've been itchin' to post. ) "

that seems very clear to me. i asked that people wait. some didn't.

that illustrates the real problem. no matter what the rules were, are, or turn out to be, individuals take it upon themselves to do as they please. they don't care whether or how it effects everyone else. if they get "caught" they pretend they didn't know or didn't understand or will argue as though their lives depended on getting their own way.

people who do that make it extremely difficult to moderate. flexibility and exceptions become luxuries we can't afford because it opens the floodgates and we end up wherever we started.

fear is unneccessary. when in doubt, just ask Admin or a moderator.

this is a virtual society. every society has standards of behavior. they each have a distinctive culture. in some cultures, there's no debate. those who hold the the reins of power don't poll the masses to seek a consensus or middle ground. the rules are the rules are the rules. period. end of discussion. those who fail to behave within the standards are imprisoned, tortured, maimed or put to death. wanna talk revolution? sure .. why not? but that takes a few years of mayhem and bloodshed. then, whoever seizes or keeps the power spends the next few years conducting mass executions to clear out any remaining opposition. and there's never any guarantee that the new regime will be any better than the old.

what's a moved or deleted post here and there compared to that? give me a break ... PLEASE.

even insect colonies have standards of behavior. we are supposed to be smarter than bugs.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 AM
    Administrator

I'm going to make the topic titles editable in the PDA section so that a person can use them to make announcements when something major happens.

It's a compromise between creating new topics for each announcement and not making any visible changes at all.

The title of Jane123's dedicated PDA topic could be used in a way like this:

"Jane123: Going in for a surgery on August 3, page 14"

And then every person who wants to check on that particular individual can jump straight to page 14 of her dedicated PDA topic.

Later on, the topic can be reset to just "Jane123". And when something else happens that needs to be announced, the title can be updated to refled the new situation.

If everyone sticks to such title "standard", simply opening up the PDA section and looking at the list of topics would give an instant overview of everyones lives. You could easily see what's happening with whome and if you decide to read more or to post a response, then you'll know exactly where to do it. It would be a question of two clicks.

This looks to me like the most time-efficient way of keeping in touch.

Let me know what you think.

IMHO...I think this is more of a negativity issue. A simple rule to remember...if you're really needing to vent something negative...do it in the Personal Announcements section. After all...most of us try to be here for each other and are more than willing to lend a shoulder or just an ear.
    I think some feel that if they post in the PDA section (especially when they need to vent or need support), not many others will read it. And that's probably true. Fewer people read PDA than GCC.
    But there is one thing to consider. Those who really care about you will keep up with your personal happenings, and those who don't care ... why would you care if they are not reading your posts.

Bottom line here is...positivity brings positivity negativity brings negativity.
    I think Admin just wants the negatives, and woes in a place where those of us who are close to one another can more effectively deal with it, instead of putting it in a down hill negative spiral for the whole board.
    YES! That's exactly what I was talking about. You said it perfectly.

In any case, please let me know what you think about using the topic titles in the PDA section as I described above. This could be a good solution.
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 AM

admin, i think being able to edit topic titles in diary section will be so awesome. It completely makes it easier to keep up with peoples lives in a very do-able and easy way. Thank you
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM
    Administrator

i vote :thumbup: