Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 AM
    Administrator

Yes it do! lol (sorry - couldn't resist)
    LOL. Well, as long as it gets the message across... :)
    Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 AM
    Administrator

if I wanted to teach my five year old granddaughter how to make a quilt, and took pictures, say, 12 or more...would it go in main quilting section, or Picture section,...and...is this of interest to many, or should it go in my diary
    First of all, nothing related to quilting should go into PDA or GCC. This is a quilting message board, so stuff related to quilting is "interesting" by definition. Even though realistically not all of it is interesting to everybody. But quilting is what this board is about. So the Main and Pictures sections are for topics about quilting, no need to worry about them being too private.

As for what should go into Pictures vs Main when pics are included, that's a tough one. I guess you can go by intent. If it's a "show and tell" sort of thing, then post in Pictures. If you are including pics just to illustrate your question, then I guess Main is the right section.

Let's not digress further. We can get back to this discussion later.
    Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 AM
    Administrator

But I've noticed a change in the last month or so. Maybe people have just become too comfortable, too relaxed?
    Yes, that's what's happening, and it's both good and bad at the same time.

It's good that people are getting close to each other and feel comfortable. It means the site functions well as a community.

It's bad because stuff like that turns off new or potentially new users.

The guidelines must accommodate the existing members and the new members to the greatest extent possible. Otherwise, the board will suffer.

And I really don't want to go to the extreme for the benefit of one group at the expense of the other.

That was the idea behind the PDA section. It's a place for people who've become really comfortable with each other to have fun (or shed some tears) together. At the same time, new members are only likely to start frequenting PDA once they've become regulars and made some friends here.
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Originally Posted by kwhite
    My thought on that is that not everyone posting to GCC is reading this post so they don't know not to post those things now. It should not be assumed that all active members are following this thread.
    thats very true and an excellent point.

Thank You. I was thinking the same thing when I read Terri's post.
    Sorry, off topic again. So , I'm no better. :D
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

admin wrote:
    .....That was the idea behind the PDA section. It's a place for people who've become really comfortable with each other to have fun (or shed some tears) together. At the same time, new members are only likely to start frequenting PDA once they've become regulars and made some friends here.

I think we all want to preserve the quilting stuff on this board, FIRST.
    I have a diary and have to use my time wisely now, to get something from all sections...not a comment on board changes, refers to changes in my own life...but as far as 'newbies' only going to PDA, which means they would be missing out, on great stuff...isn't that up to them? nobody can tell them not to, and nobody on PDA, if they even knew, would say, "hey, you need to quit coming here an go to...", it sounds funny, but I don't want to lose that section.
    I am absolutely committed to backing up, and behaving as the person I was, when I came here, so as someone else said, I can only control me.
    As friends, we tell each other, "did you see 'such and such' and then we go look." I will do this with newbie's too, bc I don't want anybody to miss the great quilting stuff.
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 AM

This is all looking very good. But again, i'm going to ask for the fourth time, please, what CAN we post in general chitchat now? So that i can understand, please, thanks
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM

The Diary section for the most part seems to be functioning like an instant messanger...I was reading a bit but got bored...I feel bad for people who have problems, its good to know if they will be off for a while.....some is so overwhelming,

i prefer not to share mine....this is where i come to be cheerful and inspired...and look at quilt pictures or pets or famlies.....it would be nice if there wern't 50 messaes between each picture.

OK i don't like so many messages at the top of each section with more rules...is it necessary to be so wordy....and if you stopped counting messages a lot of the junk would be gone...........

I guess I like it here pretty much.....I know which topics to avoid and just go my merry way always having a good time...

I think this is a penny worth so invest the other one :wink:
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM

I would like to throw something completely different into the pot because I wonder if it has been noticed by anyone else. I'm sorry, sometimes I just have to say things...

At the risk of sounding insensitive, cold-hearted, and even witchy, here are my thoughts:

7550 members of this community, 50 online at the time of this post, and yet, we are only hearing from a teeny tiny percentage, if even large enough to quantify. Facts are, from my newness perspective:

- this is a free-for-us quilting forum with a real-life feel governed by genuine moderators.

- the majority of these 15 pages have been about GCC and PDA and not about quilting.

- the majority of the posters on these 15 pages are not the 50 online currently, they are the same who post regularly. Maybe they are entitled to more of a say but who is to say what that is.

I understand this is setup as a community and I feel the mods and Admin are now bending over backward, sideways, and inside out to make this place mesh to meet the needs of topics other than quilting. Here's where the insensitivy arrives: aren't there other boards or forums for those topics? Or on a personal level: Blogs? Personal websites? Myspace? Facebook? PM's? Emails? If you go to most quilting, recipe, pet, cross stitch, or religious forum, the focus is on the title of that forum, not on the GCC and nowhere have I seen an added PDA! Here's where the witchy comes in: and this is not enough? C'mon...we're all adults here and run families, homes, businesses. We are intelligent enough to decide what falls into each category.

I love this board and love the community feel and comraderie but to me, these 15 pages - the fact that there had to be be even a page 1 - show a sense of entitlement that we are in no position to expect. In these 15 pages the mods have shown nothing but the utmost respect and graciousness for the many moods and emotions displayed, and there were far more thank-you's than what-about's. Where's the fair play?

I would like to say thank you to the mods and Admin and whatever you decide is fine with me. I'm sorry you have had to spend most of your weekend dealing with this as it must take you away from your own lives as well. We get to leave and come back, you need to have that third eye open. Thanks for listening.
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
    Administrator

I'm scared and tense right now on the forum. I'm scared to start any type of a thread.
    I think time will take care of it :)

We are going to test new guidelines, and I'm sure everyone will get used to them. It will become much easier to judge what's appropriate and what's not once the new general tone of GCC/PDA is established.

But there is no reason to be scared to post. The worst thing that could happen is your post getting deleted or moved. So what? It's not the end of the world.

I don't want to encourage anyone to post away simply thinking that "if it's not OK, it will get deleted". That would add too much work for the mod. Please use self-moderation to some extent.

But there is absolutely no reason to be scared.
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 AM

admin said: I think time will take care of it :)

Oh i hope so, im sure things will be better. Already good ideas, thanks admin