Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM
    Administrator

Is there an issue with storage space on this site, Dear Administrator? .... The last thought in my mind would be to add a topic to the general anything - - but, am I understanding that some are doing that, rather than commenting within the thread that started their mind down a certain path?
    It's not so much about server space. It's more about "polluting" the section topic listing with topics of similar nature.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Perhaps a few members overlooked the posting at the very top of the page?[/quote]

Yes! We have been...me being one of them! How many times driving down the same road do you read the speed limit sign...seriously look at it and make sure of the speed?? You don't! You know that sign is there...and, you 'think' you know what it says....for you have driven by it for at least 4yrs! Same here....just assuming what is at top is what was...have I read rules...yes, in the beginning! I will personally be watching more carefully to make sure and not assume it is the same thing. No one would do this I'd think to be deliberate in thinking they don't have to follow rules....such as myself. I read the posts in my mail, sometimes check for what is new if I have time...and, move on. Not intentially-really...I will be more attentive from now on...I hope!LOL>Skeat
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM
    Administrator

They are heavy handed with the delete button and in many cases play favorites. As a result, they have lost a ton of fun participants (myself included). The forum is boring and gives no incentive to return to it. I'd hate like heck for that to happen here.
    I'm aware of such possibility, and I certainly don't want that to happen. That's why I'm trying to get some feedback instead of simply making the rules more strict and asking the mods to enforce them with more prejudice.

If I see a post for prayers, I go in and read what the problem is. I may or may not offer prayers -- that's MY choice.
    If I see a joke, I may or may not go in to read it....if it's one I've read before, so what -- I've had friends tell me jokes I've heard before.
    Multiply that by 20 or 50 topics and you begin to see the problem.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
    Administrator

If it's a problem with the board getting too big, would it help to delete everything in the general chat area after a set time such as 48 hrs. or 72 hrs. ?
    I don't think so. Some topics (such as pics of places) certainly deserve to remain there indefinitely.

Some topics remain active for weeks at a time. Cutting them short would be a disservice

Additionally, people might forward a link to their friends. And if we take the topic down, all those who follow the link would end up seeing the "topic not found" message.

Lastly, if we get 20 prayer requests/jokes/personal venting topics on the same day, then waiting for 72 hours (or some other period of time) to clear them out won't do much good. It would all be over before the we begin cleaning them up.
    Yet, such 20 topics would spawn another 50 from others, who would also need to receive their fair share of 72 hours.

We would end up with a never ending list of such topics.
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM
    Administrator

I'm still a little puzzled about your <negativity breeds negativity> comment. Yes, it is sad to hear/read about someone's heartache - but from what I have read here, the tone of the answers is generally supportive, inspiring, uplifting, and often times helpful in the "we should make a quilt for that person" way. Isn't that positive?
    It's not "within thread". When I say that negativity breeds negativity, I don't mean the responses. I mean other new topics created by other users.

Let's say someone makes a topic about how their "significant other got chest pains and were rushed to the emergency room".

Next moment, someone make a new topic and some relative getting sick.

After that, 5 more people make new topics and health issues in their family.

It seems that once it starts, the topics just keep appearing at increasing rate.

That's what I mean by certain types of topics spawning more of the same.

The problem isn't even so much the content of the topics themselves but the fact that there are so many of them, and they flood the section.

And the solution of deleting some of them isn't fair in general.
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:16 PM
    Power Poster

Admin, are you saying that chit Chat is going to go back to the way it was before with just a few changes. I am reading all of these pages and with all of the various discussions and all I am losing what is/isn't being changed/allowed. So, do I have it right so far???

All of the non-quilting topics will be allowed as before with these exceptions:

No posts requesting prayers

No posts regarding illness/deaths/hospital stays UNLESS they are posted by another member because the actual member is not able to post themselves. And then ask you or a moderator before posting these notices.

Birthday announcements should be listed in our PDA and then ONE thread would be allowed in Chit Chat for everyone to respond to.

No other types of threads that are or could be construed as depressing to anyone, these should all go into a PDA

Pictures posted here are only of a NON quilting nature

PDA section: You can change your subject line to announce life events or make any statement that let's members know what is currently being discussed in your thread

As to the whole board:

A clarification on highjacking will be stated

Language/joking will always be aimed at a Walt Disney family type atmosphere level

If someone does post a thread that is not within the guidelines of the board, ignore it, do not respond to it and wait for it to be either moved to the proper location or for it to be deleted.

Are Jokes going to be allowed or disallowed???
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 PM
    Administrator

Can happier and more upbeat events be placed in the Chit Chat section, such as births, graduations, and such?
    We are going to test and see. I'm still not sure about that.

It seems that allowing positive in GCC while "forcing" (as some believe) negative into PDA creates a bad reputation for the PDA section, and makes it seem like I'm trying to pull the whole "rose colored glasses" thing with the community.

I think that posting positive announcements in the PDA (with the use of editable titles) would accomplish the task of keeping everyone who is interested updated.

We'll see.
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
    Administrator

Admin, are you saying that chit Chat is going to go back to the way it was before with just a few changes.
    It's not going to be the same, but it looks like it's going to have more relaxed guidelines.
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Admin
    if its going to cause a domino effect
    YES! If you feel that a topic you are about to post can potentially cause a "domino effect" then please post it in your PDA.

ut my question is, if you implement the above ideas, what is the guideline for this? Would this topic cause a domino effect, and 10 other people start threads that their grandma and aunt all died that week? I'm not being snarky, im being dumb, i really hope you can give examples, because from what you said above, it isnt clear to me where that should go.
    Sadly it will cause more similar posts. There is no need to imagine hypothetical situations. We've already seen this exact thing happening a year ago or so.

That time, it was in conjunction with prayer requests. But life is life, and posts like that would flood the section if we don't limit them.

And I don't feel comfortable deleting only some of the posts just to keep the total number under control. So the only fair solution to me seems to be not to allow any of them in GCC at all.

The only exception I'm still considering is when a member gets ill (or something else happens), and she can't post herself. In this case, some other member who has other means of communication and learns about what happened might choose to post a notice about it to let others know.

PDA won't work for that. So that leaves either GCC or nothing at all.

In this particular case, I think posting in GCC is a reasonable exception.

admin, thank you So much, i think i'm getting it now. At first i thought you wanted trivial chat in diaries like now im making coffee and cooking supper, etc, and all neg posts in diaries, but all good important personal stuff in general. Thats what i was struggling with, just good, and no negative in general. But now, i get what you are saying, thank you for explaining! I think this is what you are saying. ALL personal stuff in diaries, good and bad, except things like birthdays and stuff. General is no longer personal, period, except for those few exceptions. Diaries is not just a bad place, it is the new personal general, personal good and bad. General is for talking bout the weather, or going shopping, etc. So if someone wants to say, i found a great deal on a couch at a garage sale, that would go in diary, but if someone found a great deal on fabric, that would go in general? I think i have it lol, i'm not sure, but i think im getting there. Thank you so much admin for taking the time to explain.
    Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

I was also thinking about how many of us were initially afraid about not being able to get out the fact that someone was ill, had a death in the family, or were needing comfort, support and prayers.
    Then the thought came to me that we have quite a wonderful network here already in place. When we have heard of these events and want to make the person a quilt or send blocks, there are PM's and emails flying and the word gets out quickly. I usually learn about them from multiple people and am asked to help pass the word on.
    If one person sees this type of announcement in a PDA word will quickly spread....it is what we do, it is what we have done...it will be brought up in chat, pm'd as a did you see that "whoever" has posted "whatever" and will get the proper acknowledgements and support.

I am also glad that the topics discussed currently in PDA's are getting more readily understood. Yes, there is some chit chat back and forth through some of them. Yes, some of us pop in and just say "HI How's it going?" But there is also a lot of interesting information being posted there. Journals of what blocks, quilts are being worked on. Stories of quilting past and present. Happy events being shared. Encouraging words over projects, new embroidery machines, some joking around and it is good and positive.
    Other matters have been brought up and discussed, but I have seen the same in chat....not always quilt talk....not always happy talk....but a very nice balance :wink: 8)