Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
    Administrator

If one person sees this type of announcement in a PDA word will quickly spread....it is what we do, it is what we have done...it will be brought up in chat, pm'd as a did you see that "whoever" has posted "whatever" and will get the proper acknowledgements and support.
    Exactly. People will spread the word once something is posted in the PDA.

Besides, it seems that everyone really underestimates just how many people visit the PDA section.

According to my stats for the previous 7 days, a little over 65% of people (logged in users only) visited the PDA of the total number of people who visited the GCC.

So it's not ghost town over there. Neither in terms of writing nor in terms of reading.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
    Administrator

I updated the PDA guidelines. You can read them here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/22099.page

Please feel free to give it a try with editable titles. Simply edit your first post. Don't touch the content, but only change the subject. That will take care of the whole topic title.
    Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Admin
    I updated the PDA guidelines. You can read them here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/22099.page

Please feel free to give it a try with editable titles. Simply edit your first post. Don't touch the content, but only change the subject. That will take care of the whole topic title.
    How Awesome!!! Love that I can change my subject line, easy to do, too!!! 8) 8) 8) Thanks Admin :D :D :D
    going back now to re-read the guidelines :wink:
    Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM
    Power Poster

Okay I think I am ready, I have been sitting here on and off for days reading everyones messages on this. And when I am done reading most of what I wanted to say coming in had changed and wanted time to change it around. Of course it was a vicious cycle as then there were more posts etc.

Admin, I like the adjustment to PDA to be able to change the subject title to include a headline,
    CuteBuns: committed to insane alsylum after going crazy in Quilt Shop! news at 11. (though that might fall under main in the quilting section, i guess it would depend of there were pictures or not where it was placed.)

I did go and read the new rules to PDA.

I love the PDA section, I have made some pretty good friends over there, and still keep in touch with the ones I have in Chat and the main quilting section. I get PDA isn't for everyone, but it is a fun place to go and sit and laugh and yes cry. we do mostly the first and when the occasion arises, the second. And anyone tryin to jump in, you don't need to start at page one, due to what ever, some have missed days or weeks of posts and just asked for a quick update to be able to skip a lot of the hi how are you type posts.

I am happy that it is getting better press!

Admin, do you read the PDA section?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Ok I just found this today and I am totally confused. I have to say I liked this board before the changes last time, Now It is more time consuming and I know I miss alot of things. I don't know how hard it would have been to send a blanket PM to everyone about this topic of discussion but it is a thought. I hardly ever read the top of the category just scan looking for topics of interest. Sorry bout that. Most of us have made friends on here if not personal there are certain people we always look for even if we never PM them, I know I do. When we are down and out, Ill child, death, loss of job we are only looking for support and an ear. Some of us have no one else to talk to. I do realize this is a Quilting Board and this is where I share and ask for help on my quilting. I have found everyone to be supportive and helpful And appreciate the work put into this board by Admin and moderators I spend a good part of my free time on here as everyone has become a part of my extended family. Thank You for this Site.
    Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM
    Power Poster

But, it seems that everyone HAS rushed to post. I dunno...maybe it's just me, not understanding what was said
    This is somewhat frustrating. We haven't even finalized the guidelines yet, and people already march ahead hoping they can force the changes they want to go into effect.

On a personal level, such actions actually put me on the opposing side regardless of the issue. I try not to let my personal feelings get in the way of administration duties, but it's hard when people seem to be pushing it with every opportunity they get.
    It never crossed my mind, until somebody brought it up, that we members, were not supposed to post new threads. I even said, since I didn't know, that Patrice would have to clarify.
    I think a lot of ppl, didn't get...so, it really was meant,...don't post AT ALL.
    ok, did that also mean: don't respond?
    I sincerely feel, that ppl aren't pushing any limits, they are confused.
    I have responded on recent topics, haven't been to chit chat at all, today, and not sure that I went there yesterday.
    Old 07-26-2009, 03:43 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    But, it seems that everyone HAS rushed to post. I dunno...maybe it's just me, not understanding what was said
    This is somewhat frustrating. We haven't even finalized the guidelines yet, and people already march ahead hoping they can force the changes they want to go into effect.

On a personal level, such actions actually put me on the opposing side regardless of the issue. I try not to let my personal feelings get in the way of administration duties, but it's hard when people seem to be pushing it with every opportunity they get.
    It never crossed my mind, until somebody brought it up, that we members, were not supposed to post new threads. I even said, since I didn't know, that Patrice would have to clarify.
    I think a lot of ppl, didn't get...so, it really was meant,...don't post AT ALL.
    ok, did that also mean: don't respond?
    I sincerely feel, that ppl aren't pushing any limits, they are confused.
    I have responded on recent topics, haven't been to chit chat at all, today, and not sure that I went there yesterday.
    I am on dial up, and if you don't keep clicking refresh, over and over, it will appear that you haven't read posted info.
    That's what this reply LOOKS like. There are just so many things, situations, that each person deals with, that look positive or negative, depending on what the 'looker', expects to see. you get what you are looking for in life.
    I am looking for better and better, and I see it coming. :wink:
    Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 PM

I really don't care if there are rules. I will follow them if you have them. I just appreciate this board, and its administrators.

Thanks for all you do.
    Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM

I'm going to update the "rules" sticky topic in GCC once I have the new guidelines finalized. The title will reflect the date of the last change.

At that point, I consider it to be the responsibility of the users to spend a few minutes and familiarize themselves with the updated guidelines.

Most probably won't do it. And they will get their posts deleted eventually, which will "force" them to actually read the rules.

This is how I think it's going to happen.
    Perfect. The simpler the rules are the easier they will be for all to follow. The more black and white it is--avoiding gray areas--will pay off in the end. (I hope, for everyone's sake.)
    Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 PM
    Banned

gaigai, I applaud your approach to calculate the stats. Normally, it's the most logical and unbiased way to understand the situation.

But some time ago (not that long ago), Patrice did a major clean up job on the GCC section going all the way back to the very beginning. I don't remember the exact numbers as I cross-referenced the database, but it was well into thousands of posts. So your stats are off. You are now looking at the sanitized GCC, not at the natural state of it.

Well, duh me!! (She says as she slaps herself in the head). It was "The Grand Purge" that started this whole thing. Sorry.

But I do have a question. Was it your observations that caused the Purge and the Changes? Or was it in response to complaints? I'm excluding any complaints about "off-color" postings, just complaints about "Downer" postings.