Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section >
  • Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

• Recent changes in General Chit-Chat and the Personal Announcements section

Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

There seems to be two key issues here - one is what is and isn't appropriate and how to handle the inappropriate and the second, how the board is organised.

In an ideal world, the first issue should self-regulate but this isn't an ideal world so I think the bottom line is policing. I disagree with the 3 strikes idea preventing ppl from posting. I already KNOW that if I post foul language or am insulting to other board members, there's a chance I'll be banned - doesn't stop me from posting. I agree with KLue that most of the rules are already there - they just need to be enforced.

As to the organisation of the board, I agree that maybe PDA IS the place for the negative stuff. But all the other non-quilting topics - gardens, places ppl live, pets etc, I think still belong in GCC. I just took a look there and a huge percentage is ONLY jokes and links to funnies on the internet. There's no balance at all now! Could I have some feedback on the idea of a single café for banter and ramblings? Thanks. :D

BTW thanks so much for agreeing to Mare Stare staying in GCC. :D
    Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    as far as "negative/downer" postings go -

it seemed to me that the "tag-along" postings were meant in a "hey, you're not alone" way - or "I've been there, done that - so I can really relate" way

maybe I'm incorrect in that line of thinking??
    BIG - I agree entirely - that's what I was trying to express in my ramblings about sense of community and chance to support ppl - you put it much more clearly! :D
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
    Administrator

as far as "negative/downer" postings go -
    It's not just the fact that they are depressing. Life is life.

But negative topics tend to fill the entire section.

So far, I've seen three types of topics that spread out of control:

- Overall personal negative stuff
    - Prayer requests
    - Jokes

And I'm not talking about a thread spinning out of control. I'm talking about many different people creating similar threads of their own and flooding the section.

On it's own, neither one of those is a big problem.
    But imagine the GCC section consisting primarily of those topics.

If we didn't do anything at all, that's what would happen. And we did a lot to stop such topics from spreading long before the introduction of the PDA section.

So if you think there weren't any problems in GCC a few weeks or months ago, that's because we've been enforcing many of the rules meant to keep the section balanced. It just wasn't as visible as it is now.

Can we please concentrate on the part I posted in bold instead of talking about who gets offended by what and who complained and so on. This won't help us find a solution.

I want to figure out how to keep the "contagious" topics from flooding the section without restricting the communication any more than necessary.

This is the tough part of discussion that everyone seems to be avoiding.
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM

First of all, let me say to Admin and the moderators, thank you for all the work you do to keep this board going. Yours is a thankless job and I don't think a lot of people realize how much work is required behind the scenes.

I've read all of the posts on this thread and here's my 2 cents for whatever it is worth. I'm wondering if you could make a separate category for 1. Jokes and 2. Prayer requests -- sort of like you have a heading for Main, Introduce Yourself, Recipes, etc. For news regarding those bad things that happen to us all, could you make a section titled something like I Need to Vent? That way, folks could choose to visit whatever headings they want (for example, I usually only visit Chit Chat, Pictures and Main).

For repeat offenders, I suppose the only thing to solve the problem would be banning them. Perhaps for a day the first offense (with a pm explaining why), a week the second and permanently the third.

Someone, I don't remember who, posted a suggestion about having a calendar so we could send the moderators info about birthdays, etc to be posted. I think that's a wonderful idea.
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM

I don’t really have anything new to add, but wanted to post my thoughts.

I have to agree about the negative postings - leaving them out of the GCC and post them in your pda instead. Those who choose to share can post them in their personal space. And if they wanted someone specific to know about it, they can pm that person directly.

Topics with many subtopics are just too confusing. If it’s ok to post a picture of your pet in the critters section of the gcc, why wouldn’t it be ok to just post it in the regular gcc section? Same with b-days or anniversaries? They disappear after a couple of days anyway. I liked opening the gcc and seeing whose b-day it was and wishing them a happy b-day without having to go to a separate topic.

I did enjoy seeing pictures of others pets, or where they live or their gardens or vacation pictures in the gcc section. Most people won’t see these posts if they’re put in the pda section. And I don’t understand why these wouldn’t be considered “interesting”. Those posts always got a lot of positive responses.

Thanks for all your work, admin and moderators.
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

I am a person who does not relish confrontation, but when it's necessary, let it be productive. I am loving this whole thread, the good, bad, and the ugly. Why? bc it gives me insight, to what other ppl are thinking and feeling, and my fear level goes down.
    I am an introvert. I married a very extroverted man. He is a shoot straight from the hip...and fast...type person. He may have rubbed off, a little bit in the joking dept. out of survival with his family :roll: :lol:
    Ok. heardja. I been real good for a while now, and will continue.
    But...he hurts more feelings than I do.
    Bc, long after the smoke from his gun has faded, I may still be pondering a shoot, or laughing about an imagined one.
    POINT? - remember, - different strokes for different folks.
    Just bc you assume a person means to be ________ (fill in the blank with a negative assumption), DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE.

Kwhite - you get a standing ovation from me. Not my call, but tools and flags, are an excellent idea.
    a flag doesn't have to be for any one person, but for the thread, so each person would stop and think...is it me? how do I sound to others?
    reality check, flag.
    A fire drill or alarm is for everyone, and nobody gets hurt, individually, bc maybe more than one is "out there"...and needs to check themselves.
    Really don't think we have been having this problem as much, in past week or two, imho.
    How about a list of suggestions from admin, and voting by members on them. Majority rules.
    Then ppl will stop feeling 'controlled', and there will be no reason to complain.
    A calendar is a great idea...to me.

I would like a description or a definition of the following:
    - troll rate (thank you! bearisgray :D )
    - attention seekers (ok, I'm blonde and admit it)
    are we referring to "sellers of wares?" , ppl that join, only to stir, be silly, and disappear...like the quiltsurfer, or whatever he called himself?
    I probably have more questions, but can't think of them.

I agree that one or two complaints to admin about a thread, or comment,
    are not enough reason to remove it.
    why?

bc, ppl can complain to a buddy via pm, and both go pm a complaint.
    Has this happened? I have no idea what's been happening, except having been a moderator, once upon a time, your view from that side of the fence is different from the average board member, who is coming online/on board for enjoyment, comraderie, to share, etc.
    If I opened pm's all day, and most of them were negative, I might think there's all kinds of trouble/problems on my board, while the average member, is oblivious, until they keep hearing or seeing signs.
    But....are things really as bad as they seem? or do we just need adjustments? Let's keep it in perspective.
    This board ain't got no flat tires...
    Don't we all love it here? aren't we all appreciative overall?
    We don't need a new transmission, just a tune - up.
    I for one, think we should have these discussions every 4-6 weeks, and like now...really open up.
    I think we are all very sincere when we say our thank you's, but isn't it nice to feel ok saying, "this kind of bothers me", without fear that your going to be boo'd off or chastised?
    I think there is fear here already and agreee, that a three strikes rule, would ensure dust and tumbleweeds in GCC. don't agree? try it.
    If I got a pm from any member that said, "Qc, you said it was ok to let you know... ____, but make sure that I am guilty or unaware, and I will beg your apology. don't agree? try it :mrgreen:
    In theory, 3 strikes sounds ok, but admin would then be inundated with fearful pm's,...Is this ok?
    Is this offensive?
    what do you think of?...and then the person would have to relate their whole post, to be sure he gave approval of the whole thing.
    You think ppl are smart enough to decide, and don't need to ask.
    We are smart.
    But we are all here, bc we are all wondering about something, came looking for information. Not knowing everything, is not the same as being dumb. to me :mrgreen:
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
    Administrator

I'm wondering if you could make a separate category
    I really don't want to create any more sections/categories.

It's a quilting message board, after all :)

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

Well here's my little contribution to this. Since being back on this board i have noticed alot of what has been discussed in here the groups that seem to be playing games and hijacking posts alot with all the rest of it. I have wanted to post things that would fit well into the guide-lines of being good for everyone but becouse of the actions of others and being a man in here basically a minority i have held off in doing so. My solution to that issue was to stay close to those i know and feel comfortable with in here, also showing pics from a photo sharing site via the chat room has worked well for me. When i noticed the personal diaries section the first thing i did was pm admin saying thanks for that, it seemed to me that its a good idea to give the rest a place to basically be themselves and cut down all the rest of what was going on. I can't offer much of a solution to this i wish admin and the like the best in finding a solution to all of this. Chris
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM
    Administrator

For repeat offenders, I suppose the only thing to solve the problem would be banning them.
    That's another thing I forgot to mention. It's not always "a few people causing lots of problems". Most of the time, it's a bunch of users each "doing their own thing", but combined it results in the outcome I described.

So banning won't accomplish anything. And it wouldn't be fair to the users, as each individual poster didn't really do anything wrong.
    Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM
    Administrator

If it’s ok to post a picture of your pet in the critters section of the gcc, why wouldn’t it be ok to just post it in the regular gcc section?
    That's a very good argument :)