Recipe box

Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 AM

When my MIL passed away, I got my hands on her collection of recipes, translated them all onto my computer and then divided them into categories and put them into 3 ring binders and gave one to each of her children and grandchildren. They really loved that!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 AM

My 2nd MIL was murdered in her home. We were devestated. My SIL didn't want ANYthing. She was in shock. We had one week to get her stuff out of the house. I stashed her recipes and memoribalia in my car. I stuffed that poor car! SIL commented that I was sure being greedy but I informed her that ANY of the stuff was hers when she was ready. Sure enough, I started getting phone calls asking "do you have...........?" One of the things that generated the most phone calls was requests for her recipes! YIP -- I saved it ALL!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 AM

i am so very sorry, i hope they caught whomever did it, you are so smart keeping your head and keeping those things, grief makes you forget simple things..you sound like a wonderful daughter in law...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Banned

people now don't cook as much-----if at all!! AND they are not sentimental either so things get dumped. Sad.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

That is sad. I love old cook books, too!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
My 2nd MIL was murdered in her home. We were devestated. My SIL didn't want ANYthing. She was in shock. We had one week to get her stuff out of the house. I stashed her recipes and memoribalia in my car. I stuffed that poor car! SIL commented that I was sure being greedy but I informed her that ANY of the stuff was hers when she was ready. Sure enough, I started getting phone calls asking "do you have...........?" One of the things that generated the most phone calls was requests for her recipes! YIP -- I saved it ALL!
This was soooo smart of you to save them for the family......Dh and I were talking about recipes,it was in the paper,Dear Abby, and I ve decided to make a copy of all the great recipes and put it in the Safty deposit Box.......There are just some recipes I like to keep just for me. That way when I do make them I Know they really appreciate the gift...Hey, I think I'll go and buy a fire proof box for the house... lol lol
Old 03-10-2011, 05:07 PM

When my dear MIL died no one wanted her recipes. I took them all. Years later some of her boys (she had 4) wanted them. I would not give them the recipes, but made copies for them. They didn't like it but they settled for the copies.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM

All the women in my family are wonderfuls cooks my MIL too, I love to cook, daughter can cook but teaches and isn't into like I was or grandmothers. But she is getting into it, did her first canning last year and put out a big garden. I too, love all the old recipes and miss the cooking of the women who have passed on.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 PM

I have a lot of my Mom's hand written recipes. And I have one of her favorite cook books, one that my son has asked for several times. It's been used and loved and shows it, but it's pretty old. It tells in the front of it that if you are lucky enough to live in a "Modern" town with a freezer plant, you can rent space to freeze your own meats you raise and some vegetables.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Cherry I went to an estate sale once and got a beautiful hand appliqued sunbonnet sue quilt...a few days later I was at a craft fair and a lady came up and said..weren't you the lady who purchased that quilt the other day? I said yes...she said would you be willing to sell it? It was made by my grandmother and my daughter is pregnant. I wanted it to take apart and make a new quilt for her baby girl..I asked why she hadn't bid on it and she said none of the family were allowed to take anything from the estate nor were they allowed to bid on any of the items?? I felt so bad I gave it to her..I had only paid $30 for it..so was out that amount..a few mins later she came back with her DD who was expecting the baby and she thanked me as well...so it depends on what it says in the will about the items..
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Originally Posted by cherryberry
One of the things I got at an estate sale i just went to was a recipe box full of hand written favorite recipes. It made me sad that no one in the family wanted to keep them. The recipes included "Aunt Bessie's Chocolate Cake," "Susan's delicious Meatloaf", etc. Someone in that family will surely want to carry on the tradition of making some of these recipes some day, don't you think? I know I have favorite recipes past down from my great grandmother and grandmother. Do you keep recipes written by your relatives? I even enjoy just looking at their handwritingon those old recipe cards. it fills me with wonderful memories of time spent with them.