Refrences for a new job.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Good luck!

I used to be the one that hired and fired -- here's some info that might help:

You say you don't have experience....WRONG!!! You have 16 yrs experience! Do NOT put that down....I ALWAYS looked a 2nd time at people that stayed a long time with one job -- meant to me that they'd probably stay a long time with me and I wouldn't have to do interviews for a long time!!! (UGH)

DO allow the prospective employer to call your former employer. Tell the former employer ahead of time (unless they have a record of firing people because they're looking for a job).....tell the current employer that you feel it's "time to move on". I was always VERY suspect of anyone that said I couldn't call the current employer. Also - for the references at the end of the resume or on the app.......how about co-workers?

If you do clerical/secretarial work -- make SURE your resume/application are letter perfect!!! Believe it or not, I had to hire for precision typing/English skills employees and I'd get people that couldn't spell worth a darn. I just looked over my step-sister's applications.....she spelled the town she lives in wrong!!!!! Those kinds of things always stopped me cold...if you can spend 3 months working on an app and get it wrong, you won't be able to do something in a 1 hour turn-around and get it right.

Have someone do a mock up interview with you. Find someone who has been going to interviews and is successful! Don't do it with someone that's tried for jobs and has been unemployed for 2 yrs. Do the mock up seriously -- no game playing....BE SERIOUS!

If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

Good luck - again!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Sounds to me like the ONLY thing you are missing is a totally positive perspective about yourself and your experience! YOU have a LOT to offer a prospective employer! Getting the job you want is all about making the most of what you have to offer. :)

Take a little time and put together an excellent resume which highlights your experience. Actual experience has more influence on employers than formal education for most jobs.

There are GREAT books on writing resumes, your local library probably has plenty of them. Many also offer tips on obtaining references. There's LOTS of information available on the internet: sample resumes, tips and suggestions. Simply do a search for 'sample resumes' or 'resumes highlighting experience' and then polish up your resume and prepare your references!

Change is often difficult, but change is also good!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 AM

I doubt your current job is exactly as it was 16 years ago. Show how you have grown with the job. Did you learn new software, did you take on more responsibility with the change of ownership, what types of projects did you work on, within a group or individually. What are your accomplishments. All this shows why you are a good employee. Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Well - as it turns out - one of the companies I worked with at my current job is now looking for someone to work for them. The timing is just amazing. I went in yesterday for my first "converstion" with them. It went well and they actually did already know my $$ situation since they tried to get me to leave my company and work for them 4 years ago. I can't take a cut - but also know I get paid very well where I am based on the time I have been here.

I just got a call now and they want me to come back again. It is a smaller company - family owned by pretty much 1 older gentelman. I have known him for as long as I have been at my current job becuase his company was a great customer - until about a year ago when they cut ties.

Now the hard part. . .keeping this quiet. I have had such loyalty to the company I am with I am having a really hard time coming up with a reason I have to be out Thursday morning. . .it is just eating at me.

I really do hope it all works out - and I know I have to remember that I am doing what I need to do for my family - but how the heck am I going to get through the next few days??? I am a ball of nerves!!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Do you have any of the mandatory time off left ? Can you change the appt for a time that works without missing work ? maybe explain to them that you are not ready yet to let the current company know you are looking for a change .

GOOD LUCK :thumbup:
Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Good LUCK! Hope things go the way you want, the job situation is so scary right now!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM

Well I did it! I called one of the customers I worked with and as we chit chatted - found out they were hiring. I start on the 4th! I am so excited. The benifits are better, the drive is half, and I know 90% of the people that work there from working with them for so many years as one of our customers.

I am so excited!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM

Good for you! It is so scary and hard to be out in the field right now and it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there. I've always said it isn't what you know, but who you know!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Congratulations. Smiles. The best to you.