relations

Old 05-27-2011, 05:02 AM

My sister went on a date with our cousin's brother who was a result of her fathers second marriage. Her mother was my mothers sister so the guy she went on a date with was not a blood relative but was so much a part of our family that the rest of the family members had an ablolute fit because they considered it dating within the family!!!!. Gets complicated. (BTW ...they have been married for 35 years now!) LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 AM

the reason for the question is my brother in law is a bit of a how to say it politely doesn't comprehend facts unless they are explained several times so it isn't that I don't care about them the same in fact some of them I like better than my own relatives I was just trying to explain relationships to him and he just couldn't understand it.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM

I just love this Board!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Think about it... they would be your nephew or neice -in-law, same as your sister in law and your brother in law..

we just shorten it to nephew or neice

Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM

His sister's children are both your's and your husband's niece and nephew. They are blood related to your husband and related to you by marriage...BUT in my family that distinction is irrelevant. They're family.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM

I agree with Ckcowl. They're your neice/nephew the day you said "I do". They are no a neice/nephew to any of your brothers/sisters, only you and your husband's sibs. If you don't consider yourself married then go ahead and consider them not yours, they would be your ex's nephew/neice, if you do consider yourself married then your brother-in-law is totally correct!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

I throw in an odd one here -

My grandmother's third husband was her first husband's nephew, which made my mother's cousin, now her step father! Figure that one out! (Only a figure of speech - you don't really have to figure it out. It was fun though listening to Granny talk about the relatives after her third marriage.... 'so and so, who used to be your (whatever relation) but is now (whatever relation)..... LOL

Just a note - the age difference between her and her third husband was only 3 years. :)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
if you are married and your husband's sister has kids they are considered his nieces and nephews are they not? They are just considered nieces and nephews to you by marriage they are not actually a relation is that not correct? my brother in law can't understand this so I am seeking an answer.
Since my husband and I have been married 30 years this year, blood or no blood they are my neice and nephews till forever. I don't care about defining my blood, your blood. You are family or your not. My nephew has a stepchild but he is still my great-nephew, blood related or not. Loving the child because they are family is what is important.

Upon reading your second post, I totally understand why you posted this question. I know a few people who need to have certain things spelled out just to get a clue.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:20 AM

I think some are misunderstanding I am not saying I don't consider them the dearest of relatives but was trying to explain they come thru to the family by marriage not by being born into the family. He couldn't understand that. I have another question my father fooled around on my mom all thru their marriage now after he died we find out there is a half brother somewhere in our city what would have happened if one of us had inadvertently married this half brother not knowing who he was. would he be my half husband my half brother husband or quickly annulled?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Figure this one out: My immediate family is a tiny group of 8 - that's 4 generations - my mother, my husband and I, our two children, and their two children (one child each). My mother and I are blood relations. My children are blood relations to their children, but there are no other blood relations in the group. :-D

My mother doesn't speak to her sister. My husband is estranged from his two sisters - it is truly not HIS fault that he so looks like his dad or that his mother obviously favored him... :(

I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Friends are chosen family". I am so thankful for the many of those that I have.