Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Remember ladies head scarves? >
  • Remember ladies head scarves?

• Remember ladies head scarves?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    If you are female and of a certain age (like me...lol) you might remember wearing scarves (my MIL called them babushkas) when it was windy and/or cold. I was born in 1950 and I remember wearing them to school year after year. I never had any other kind of head covering, nor did my friends.
    If truth be told, I would still wear them if I could find them and wouldn't be considered a kook. :D
    Some of them were beautiful.
    Anyway, what's happened to them?
    I'd like to buy some to use in a few craft projects and, although ebay has some now and then, the prices are too much for me.
    I guess they're considered collector items now maybe.
    I remember them being pretty inexpensive (I'm speaking of the non-silk ones)
    Does anyone know where I can buy some at a "normal" price?
    I've googled a little and can only find silk ones.
    Thanks.
    Thrift Stores. I have a bunch left that I was going to use to cover lampshades.
    Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM

I wore headscraves/babushkas from grade school thru high school. Also over rollers to go out shopping on Saturday rofl. My last year of high school, it was "cool" ..instead of tying them under your chin, to cross in front, pull around behind your neck and tie Over the back of the scarf that was hanging down. (the Hollywood look ROFL).

Margie
    Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM

I certainly remember them, think I'm older than most of you as I was in high school in the early 50's. I had lots of silky ones, they probably were made of rayon. We also wore small ones tied around our neck over our crew neck sweaters or sweater sets. I have some larger ones that I wear over my shoulders or coats as accent pieces but haven't worn one on my head since the 60's. Back in those days a great gift for my mother and mother in law was a purse with matching gloves and a head scraf. May in Jersey
    Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    ... We also wore small ones tied around our neck over our crew neck sweaters or sweater sets. ....May in Jersey
    May--
    I remember those smaller ones that went around the neck. I was a kid when they were being worn but my aunt bought me a few of those on my birthday for a couple years. I thought it was a big gyp since I wanted games. I definitely was not a "little Miss America" child. I only had brothers and wanted to dress like them.

Someone mentioned looking in thrift stores for the scarves I'm needing. That's a good idea. I did look there a while ago but guess I should re-try.
    Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 AM
    Banned

If you are female and of a certain age (like me...lol) you might remember wearing scarves (my MIL called them babushkas) when it was windy and/or cold. I was born in 1950 and I remember wearing them to school year after year. I never had any other kind of head covering, nor did my friends.
    If truth be told, I would still wear them if I could find them and wouldn't be considered a kook. :D
    Some of them were beautiful.
    Anyway, what's happened to them?
    I'd like to buy some to use in a few craft projects and, although ebay has some now and then, the prices are too much for me.
    I guess they're considered collector items now maybe.
    I remember them being pretty inexpensive (I'm speaking of the non-silk ones)
    Does anyone know where I can buy some at a "normal" price?
    I've googled a little and can only find silk ones.
    Thanks.

here in GB we have car boot sales/ bring and buy ,not unlike your garage sales but consist of many individual buyers --these often have many old headscarves on sale very cheaply as most people do not use anymore. Also we have charity shops [selling various types of goods incl clothes for the named charity] , most scarves there are 50p [75cents???]
    Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't think they're completely out of style! I don't know about wool ones, but I found plenty of silk and other scarves at Target last year. I cut my hair really short and wore them around my head outside, then folded them up for a funky retro headband w/tails once I was inside. Got lots of compliments...
    Old 03-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Yes, I remember the head scarves. I hate to wear anything on my head now. My favorite Aunt gave me this hat thing that pulled over your head and had fake fur around the face. That was pretty cool. I wear scarves once in while around my neck. I like the silk ones. My hair is to thick that I don't need anything on my head.
    Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Growing up Catholic we HAD to wear a hat or scarf in church. We had one drawer in the dining room hutch that was full of scarves and these lacey things shaped like doilies just for church. I can remember if we forgot a scarf to cover our head my mom would bobby-pin a hanky on it-eww!!
    Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Last time I was in Walgreens I saw some scarves. I don't remember what the fabric was. I remember telling my 16 yr DD look at that I haven't seen scarves in years. If you have a walgreens check them out.
    I never had to wear them but I remember my grandmother always had them around and I would play with them. I always thought they were so neat.
    Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Lisanne--
    I reported the problem to the Admin.
    Everything seems to be fixed now.
    Ah, it was you. Thanks, Karen. Very pretty, very cool quilt in your avatar picture, by the way!