Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Remember ladies head scarves? >
  • Remember ladies head scarves?

• Remember ladies head scarves?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Lisanne,
    You must be about the same age as me, I was born in 1957
    I recall all my female relatives wearing them, luckily by the time I was old enough to wear them; they'd gone out of style.
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    If you are female and of a certain age (like me...lol) you might remember wearing scarves (my MIL called them babushkas) when it was windy and/or cold. I was born in 1950 and I remember wearing them to school year after year. I never had any other kind of head covering, nor did my friends.
    If truth be told, I would still wear them if I could find them and wouldn't be considered a kook. :D
    Some of them were beautiful.
    Anyway, what's happened to them?
    I'd like to buy some to use in a few craft projects and, although ebay has some now and then, the prices are too much for me.
    I guess they're considered collector items now maybe.
    I remember them being pretty inexpensive (I'm speaking of the non-silk ones)
    Does anyone know where I can buy some at a "normal" price?
    I've googled a little and can only find silk ones.
    Thanks.
    you can pick them up fairly cheap at estate sales.
    you will actually find some of the ones you grew up with.
    Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I certainly remember them, think I'm older than most of you as I was in high school in the early 50's. I had lots of silky ones, they probably were made of rayon. We also wore small ones tied around our neck over our crew neck sweaters or sweater sets. I have some larger ones that I wear over my shoulders or coats as accent pieces but haven't worn one on my head since the 60's. Back in those days a great gift for my mother and mother in law was a purse with matching gloves and a head scraf. May in Jersey
    Have to update my orginal posting as I head keep scarfs in DH's van and my car to wear when I want the windows open while we drive, they keep my hair from blowing out of place. May
    Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Ahhhh memories...... I was born in '61 and whenever my cousin and I stayed at grandma's, we had to wear babushka's. It was a bit embarassing, but we didn't dare risk gram's wrath.
    Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 AM

what happened to all those scarves people were tying on their purses and wearing in different ways in the 80's? Remember there was even a book that told you all different ways to tie/pin/knot/wear them. All those scarves must be around somewhere.
    I have been known to wear one "Hollywood style" when walking the beach.

Born in 56, and I remember during the "hippie" era it was cool to wear a smaller scarf with the ends tied behind your neck, never under the chin. Went to school like that many times, man was I cool...

Speaking of fashion, I was trying to remember in what grade it became "legal" to wear pants in school. Grade school, a no-no, but I think by high school we could wear them. Like I said, born in 1956 and graduated 1974. Anyone else remember?
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Speaking of fashion, I was trying to remember in what grade it became "legal" to wear pants in school. Grade school, a no-no, but I think by high school we could wear them. Like I said, born in 1956 and graduated 1974. Anyone else remember?
    We girls never could wear pants to school. I'm speaking of the '50s and 60's. We walked a mile 4 times a day (we had to walk home for lunch since the School Board said we had to live more than a mile to be allowed to stay for lunch) and my legs would be numb from the winter cold all day long. I only saw a few girls wearing long pants under their dresses and they were considered weird. I never wore pants to class in college (late 60s) either. I guess the habit was deeply ingrained by then, although I saw some girls doing it by then.
    By the time I had daughters they rarely would put a dress on and my granddaughter now is the same way. She hardly ever wears a dress to school.
    This thread started off speaking of head scarves. I loved them! Not the wool ones, just the rayon ones. So pretty. I think we should start another trend and start wearing them again.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 AM

Oh ya, I remember them.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-100696.jpe  
    Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

honey i remember neck scarves. with beads around the edges too! Lucille Ball wore them on I Love Lucy! i only have a few now and will keep those. i actually use them from time to time in windy Colorado.
    Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM

what happened to all those scarves people were tying on their purses and wearing in different ways in the 80's? Remember there was even a book that told you all different ways to tie/pin/knot/wear them. "asks ptquilts"

I still have that book and a couple more for wearing/tying scarf
    Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Ptquilts,
    I graduated in 1975 and when I was a senior we could wear pants to school, but not jeans; only on Fridays though. I guess they didn't wanna give us too much freedom. I went to a Catholic HS.