Remember when?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I am 74 and remember it. Also had an ice box not a refrigerator. The ice man delivered a block of ice for it.
We had an ice box too. I remember running down the street after the ice truck that came every day. The drivers let us take the small pieces of ice that fell off the big chunks. Chewing on that ice is probably why the enamel on my teeth is so cracked!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 PM

You would have to born in the 1930's to remember rationing and that oleo that came with rationing during
World War 2. Funny, the things that you can do without when you have too. I remember the Mrs Moss at the small mom amd pop grocery on the corner. She would save my sister and I bubble gum, when ever she got some. We would cut our piece in quarters so it would last longer. Saved tinfoil and lard. Collected milkpods for stuffing life preservers. Those were the days........
Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Off topic, but flax seed is a good egg substitute for things like cookies, sweet rolls, and pancakes. Does not work so well in brownie mixes (never thought I would be throwing away a batch of brownies). It is nutritious also, and keeps well in the freezer.

Originally Posted by SueSew
I grew up in a butter family - my grandmother was a great baker and pastry cook. But now the doctor says everything is dairy is bad for us, I have two vegans and gluten-free in the younger generation of our family, and I am learning to cook with a tub of vegan butter, egg substitute powder and almond milk instead of butter, eggs, and cream. I am too old for this kind of change...HELP!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 PM

We lived on a farm so my mother made butter and cottage cheese. We never had margarine. Wish we had that now, I think it was much healthier for us. We also had an ice box, the ice man would come each week and bring a big block of ice.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 PM

I must be to young because I don't remember it. However, I grew up in a strictly butter home so I think this is why I don't remember.

Last edited by Jannie; 12-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Yes, I remember it very well. My sister, myself and my brother used to play catch with it.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM

I am 77 and I remember before the 'bubble' of color for the oleo it came with a small packet of powder that you had to sprinkle over it and mix it thoroughly. We managed to get the colored powder all over everything. The 'bubble' was a big improvement.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 PM

I dont remember that as Im only 53 BUT... I remember eating oleo that was white. Many of my family recipes are handwritten and calls for Oleo. One time my daughter was using one of the recipes and it called for oleo... I wasnt home and she went to a neighbors and asked if they had some oleo and they had no clue. So she went to another neighbors that was old and asked her and she told my daughter it was margarine. Lol

Last edited by Airwick156; 12-20-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typos were fixed
Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
As I spread margarine on my cracker to go with my chicken soup today, I had a chuckle. Remember when you had to squeeze the little package of food colouring before adding it to margarine? My Granny used to give me this " special" job. I loved it and felt so important.
I'm 67 & yes, I do remember this, vaguely, but I do remember it.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM

I remember it well. The dairy lobby persuaded Congress to place an excise tax on colored oleomargarine, so margarine came uncolored, like Crisco, and we put the color packet in and mixed it up. The coloring packet had no flavor; the color was purely for aesthetic value. Judging from some of the posts, my family must have been (1) gauche (2) devoid of good taste or (3) just plain too poor to buy butter. As a matter of fact, margarine is still my spread of choice because it is easier to spread!

However, during WWII we kept a cow in our backyard and we did churn our very own cream and make our very own butter. That meant we avoided the rationing restrictions on that item. I spent lots of hours churning and then pressing the butter into the square butter molds. I'm sure we had more butter than we could use and suppose that Mother and Daddy gave the surplus to neighbors. After the war, zoning restrictions meant an end to the backyard cow. froggyintexas