remember when.......

Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
You all don't have drive-in movies anymore?? We have one. $2 a person double feature every weekend all summer. Everyone takes the kids in their jammies so they'll be ready for bed when you get home.
We have a tiny one here in Florida, too.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Keeping the doors open and the windows open in the summer for a breeze

Never locking your car

Being able to trust the clergy, scout leaders, and the elderly

Trust

Sparklers, fireworks (we still have them here in our front yard) on the 4th

Kresge's - eating their WONDERFUL hot dogs and a frosted mug of root beer
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 AM

I remember, a quarter would let me ride the bus to town,movie and popcorn,ride the bus back home.OOOOh.Oh and a penny back to Dad,I always had to give him some change.lol Jolo
Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM

I also remember when a 12oz.bottle of Pepsi was a nickel.Jolo
Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 AM

For those of you looking for memories that are in my age group.....remembering 50's/60's/70's Music Era.......I lost my favorite oldies station last week to talk radio...then I worked a shop hop at my local quilt shop and they had a great oldies station playing on their computer.....it is great! I log in to it then open up my browser to come here and other places......get to listen to the energizing music. cruisinoldiesradio.com
Enjoy.
Diana in Tx
Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Do you remember the plastic film with a rainbow of colors that went on top of the TV screen. You had color TV but the face might be blue or red depending on where on the screen the face and color were. Did I explain that correctly????????????
I don't remember the film on the TV but this made me think of the 60's when Mom and Dad decided to go "modern" and bought a SILVER Christmas tree! That wasn't bad enough. They bought a color wheel to go with it so they didn't have to put on any lights. My sister and I complained that it just wasn't Christmas without the smell of the tree. Not to worry. The color wheel got stuck when a package shifted and the light bulb melted the plastic. We had plenty to smell that Christmas.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
hmmmm....

I remember being able to ride a bike all over the place without worrying (the thought never entered your mind) about being snatched by a wierdo..

I remember living in a time when kids did not sass anybody or mouth off or argue with anybody passing by

I remember when if you didn't have the money to buy something you didn't buy it

I remember when you had two skirts, three blouses and two dresses to wear to school... and your boobs and/or belly and butt cleavage didn't hang out

I remember when EVERYBODY had to go out and play at recess and EVERYBODY had to take PE and the girls took home ec and you actually HAD TO learn stuff in order to be passed from one grade to the next - none of this "you did your best - lets not hurt your poor little feelings" crap .. Probably why we have so many killings now - people get out in the world and guess what? the world doesn't revolve around them and guess what else? the world doesn't give a sh** about your tender feelings....

geez I could go on forever...
I actually don't like that last bit about the schools... I mean I do agree with what you are saying about had to learn thing in order to be passed but the second part to that is kind of hurtful... If they didn't do that "you did your best thing" I'd probably still be in 6th grade... (math is a horrid subject) And that has nothing to do with the killings... The killings are done by people who are mentally ill... (sorry I don't mean to offend I'm just stating how I feel... and you are entitled to your own opinion). And trust me, kids are not learning things they need to know... Like with history, yeah it's nice to know what happened way way way in the past but they need to learn about the stuff that has happened in the last 110 years... And most schools barely touch on it... Or you get a kid like me who can do the worksheets, that require you to use a book, with out the use of a book... Or in English and you get a Vocabulary book you had in 7th Grade (I went to a Catholic Elementary School for 2 years)... It's not the teachers though, it's the school districts hierarchy of idiots that don't know what they are doing and think that their way is best and that the kids are learning... The high School I attended was almost shut down three different times this last decade alone due to test scores... and thats another problem those standardized tests are a joke... Especially when you have students who are not test takers... I'm one of those... regular tests that you CAN study for I'm good with (unless it's math... but I can pass that with a low c or d... I'm going to need a tutor in college) but the standardized tests not so much... I should have received a 30-36 on my ACT but I received a 19, because it was timed and what killed me was the reading and math... (I'm a slow reader, I like to absorb what I read so that I can remember it later... and the math is for the rational reasoning that it is Russian) My school didn't do placement testing either, so when a student they had put in Honors English decided to drop the class for the easier one, they sat there scratching their heads, or they put a poor math student in a regular fast paced math class (By day three I was crying due to not understanding the material, my teacher asked my counselor to put me in a different class). They should have an different option for PE, like lifetime sports, Bowling, Dancing, Golf, Swimming... things like that some schools do... ours didn't ... then those of us who are too fat to run or play some of the sports could actually pass PE. The school system sucks! And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you! I was just expressing my feelings... not that anyone gives a care anyways... lol (Sorry I really am I just needed to voice my opinions. Don't pelt me with sewing things please!)

I remember when my Grandma would demand silence during Jeopardy.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Diana
For those of you looking for memories that are in my age group.....remembering 50's/60's/70's Music Era.......I lost my favorite oldies station last week to talk radio...then I worked a shop hop at my local quilt shop and they had a great oldies station playing on their computer.....it is great! I log in to it then open up my browser to come here and other places......get to listen to the energizing music. cruisinoldiesradio.com
Enjoy.
Diana in Tx
Wow...I love that station!
Thanks for posting the link. I don't have any good oldies stations where I live. We must be around the same age...?? 50's and early 60's were the best music ever!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Marsye - we still have a couple of drive-ins in Maine!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by LUV2QLT
I remember when girls had to wear dresses to school - and they had to cover the knees! And on gym day, we had to wear shorts under the dresses!
We had to wear ugly uniforms in gym! Yuck.