Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Removing carpet in basement--question about finish >
  • Removing carpet in basement--question about finish

• Removing carpet in basement--question about finish

Old 09-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Removing carpet in basement--question about finish

we have (had) a 24x17 carpeted rec room in basement of house we built 20 yrs ago. have had a little water seepage along one area (about 8' long by 18" wide) but only when it rains 5"+ in 6 hrs and only in last year. We use a "to daylight" gravity system instead of sump pump and have made some corrections that may/may not have resolved this rather recent problem--but haven't had another deluge to test our corrections yet. so we don't plan to "finish" the floor immediately until we can test the solution.

In meantime we've decided to take out the 20yr old carpet that is little past its prime--plus I use one half of room for my long arming and want a hard surface in order to make thread/lint clean up easier.

We'd tried to get kids from church to do the work--the workers are so busy that they have no time! And our son and DIL normally would be willing to drive the 3.5hrs to help, but he's working much overtime on the weekends and can't turn down the time &half opportunities. S0 after moving all the stuff we could into the storage area,my DH and I decided to start this ourselves. Well, since I'd already pulled out a big chunk of area that had gotten wet 2 weeks ago, we had the tools. And today we managed to pull out and load into pick-up what amounts to 2/3 of the room. Both hurting now! Will work on the last 1/3 one day next week.

The concrete is fairly clean and we'd talked about using chemical etching and then staining (something my DH had done at work) but the padding was tacked down with a drizzle of glue and we aren't sure the etching chemical will remove completely--my DH says a product he used at work for removing vandalism may work. But we are wondering if we smooth it(but the glue stain there) painting floor would be easier than staining. Anyone have experience with all this and know??
    Old 09-09-2017, 06:24 PM

We have an epoxy garage paint on our back patio concrete. It has held up for the last 10 years or so.
    My Son just finished a concrete staining job. He said the the glue is in the pours and will not accept the stain, or will not stain evenly. He suggested you look on youtube. There are many ways to decorate concrete floors. He especially likes this one, but there are easier ideas shown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HlgR_aqdU At least you could get an idea of what options there are. Or try pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/co...loors/?lp=true
    Good luck.

Last edited by yngldy; 09-09-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Old 09-10-2017, 03:47 AM

i recommend the painting i think it is a lot less work. we did the painting
    Old 09-10-2017, 06:31 AM

We finished our basement a couple years ago. We wanted the stained concrete floor, so that's what they tried first. The test area took the stain well, but when it went on the rest of the floor it pooled up in some areas and wouldn't stain in some other areas, especially around the edges. It looked awful. So then they put on the epoxy paint with the granite-like sprinkles. It went right over the stain. The floor looks great now and is easy to clean.
    Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Check these floors on You Tube. "Top 8 of the Coolest 3D Floors Created with Epoxy "
    Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 PM

knew I'd get lots of good info from this Board! Thank you! We got the rest of the carpet out today & hauled to the dump. I spent the rest of the day vacumning and cleaning all the wood work and then cleaning the furniture (except the stuff that we stacked 4 bookcases worth of books!) So now I can work on a quilt down there--once I get all the sheets off the machine.