Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • By Request, Pictures of some of my furniture >
  • By Request, Pictures of some of my furniture

• By Request, Pictures of some of my furniture

Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM

WOW!! Beautiful!!
    Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Absolutely stunning! I especially love the cradle!
    Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Wonderful pieces ! A true craftsman
    My grandfather was a furniture designer and cabinet maker in the WWI era. I have a few of his pieces and some of his early design sketches. He taught me how to use a scroll saw and how to stain and refinish furniture. :)
    Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

What a wonderful, skilled craftsman. The pieces you have made are certainly a legacy for your family. My DH (gone since 2000) was also a wood worker and made 2 cradles, 2 china cabinets, several wall cabinets and many, many, fancy wall shelves. Now all my children have something he made. Such great memories of their father and grandfather. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us.
    Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
    I have had a number of requests for pictures of some of my furniture. I know that this is sort of off topic, as to quilting related pictures, but as a one time concession, I will post some pictures.
    The Chippendale desk in mine. Behind the upper doors, are three shelves holding books. The Glass Display Armoire is Solid Cherry.
    The Pine Hutch is Solid Southern Pine. All of these three pieces are made in 17-19th century style out of solid wood, no plywood, with no nails or modern attachments holding them together. They represent my best impression of how a period correct piece of furniture would have been made in those times, by a skilled hand craftsman. The other things are done in a similar vein. Generally made with mortise and tenon and dovetail construction and no nails or other modern methods. Some made completely by hand tools and true to the style and period.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: Great work and great photos Hope this is just a nickname for your shop : Dottie Bug
    Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by JayCee
    What a wonderful talent! I have a rocking crib that looks exactly like yours. It is doll size and belonged to my greatmother as a child and has been passed down through the little girls in the family. It has square hand forged nails in it.
    This one was put together with compound angle dovetails. Due to the angle of the taper of the sides to the bottom. I made it for my Sisters first child. That child, a girl, has grown up and become an architect, and has just had her second child, who was placed in that same cradle. And so the tradition continues. That is kind of neat. In between births, I think the cradle sits in their living room, with a Doll and frilly covers in it. Then every 9 months and 10 minutes, it is put to work as originally intended.
    John
    Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM

WOW. You are sure talented. When you say you have to be careful in your shop, its the same with quilting. Just ask me about rotary cutters and my fingers. LOL Again you do beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM

How I wish my husband was a woodworker--actually, I think I would enjoy working with wood, too, especially if I could find someone like you close by who would let me stand back out of the way and watch to learn.
    Old 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Wow.....you are a very talented man!!! Your pieces are wonderful......thanks for sharing :-D
    Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by San Luis
    I once made a list of things I want to learn in my lifetime. Woodworking is one of them. Your skill is amazing!
    Start small. I am completely self taught. I never took a class. I was in the union as an apprentice for 2 years, but that was all and I never had a class while apprenticing. I just worked, and watched people doing things. Then I did things myself, and rose to the next level. You can start with some of the books that are available at the home improvement stores. It is not rocket science. Just take it one step at a time. Sure you will screw up some things, but that is a learning experience. Hey I screw up stuff once in awhile. There was a saying in the trades, "A really good carpenter is one who can disguise his mistakes so that you didn't know they happened". You will get great satisfaction from making something with your own 2 hands. I believe that is something that is missing from most jobs today. We all have turned into consultants. nobody makes things, anymore.
    John
    John