Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Retired---What Is Your Day Like? >
  • Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

• Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 AM
    Power Poster

I love being retired. Get up early and 3 days a week head to gym first. I have some friends there and we take the classes together. Shower there and head to errands or appointments or any other stuff outside. One morning a week I have a fun and easy part time job with a friend and we work for another friend and then we all have lunch. On the other day I might go to the gym or do something outside. I am snake phobic so don't do much gardening. Afternoons are spent puttering, cleaning or sewing. Or a
    combination. Mr stitchnripper is delighted with any meal I put in front of him so meals are simple. I am one of those who likes to get up and out. I can see lots of you like to stay in. That's the beauty of it.
    Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

L - A - Z - Y!!!!!
    And I love it!
    Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM

My day begins whenever I awaken. Then coffee, news, email - all while helping three grandchildren get ready for school. Then, cleaning up and I used to quilt for hours but I am burned out. I am trying to do one for my husband with my own pattern. I am finding it is a challenge. Anyway, I walk when the weather permits. I do all this between doctor visits, recovering from a mastectomy, and soon back surgery. Stay active.
    Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 PM

I enjoyed reading all of your replies. Next year will be my last year teaching. DH is mostly retired, just teaching one class a day right now until I'm done. Next year the house will go on the market and we'll become snow birds. Am really looking forward to much more project time and relaxing time with my DH.
    Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Learner747
    My day begins whenever I awaken. Then coffee, news, email - all while helping three grandchildren get ready for school. Then, cleaning up and I used to quilt for hours but I am burned out. I am trying to do one for my husband with my own pattern. I am finding it is a challenge. Anyway, I walk when the weather permits. I do all this between doctor visits, recovering from a mastectomy, and soon back surgery. Stay active.
    Good luck with your health. Sounds like an awful lot to deal with at once.
    Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 PM

I retired from my former life as a 40+ year respiratory therapist in several major hospitals in the Southeast just a tad early due to back problems...and life is erratic at best right now, but I'm loving it!
    I have a lot of interaction with my five kids, 14 grands, and now 8 great-grands, so never get lonely or bored. I quilt about 30 hours a week, doing a lot of custom work, charity quilts, American Hero Quilts (on hiatus right now until some health issues are solved....) and just generally messing around.
    I am soon to be having a fistula installed so they can begin kidney dialysis when it's needed....I, of course, am still hoping they will agree to do a transplant (in the works, but I have to lose another 8 pounds before they begin the evals to do it)....
    Exercise? Oh yeah, that's what I do when walking the length of my LA. That's really about all I CAN do due to my back problems and other health issues. But, believe it or not, I am enjoying this time in my life! Of course, I wish the health issues would go away...but they won't....
    I get through each day by leaning where my strength is...in Christ. He has already rescued me many, many times and I'm sure He will, many more. I wish each of you the contentment I have found in retirement!
    Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Was an RN for 46 years. Retired 7 years ago and I don't miss work at all. I rather give up shopping and quilting stuff than to go back to work. I loved my job but my life was dictated by the clock and schedules as all patient care, etc. is done on a time schedule. Now I get up when I wake up unless I have some place specific to go, pray, have my coffee and work the crossword puzzle while Joyce Meyer is on and then like to catch Joseph Prince if I can. My DH is the "out and about" people person which sometimes drives me crazy. After having people need you for 46 years, I covet the time to myself. And having worked mostly in hospitals, I like it very quiet and have difficulty with lots of noise and people. I am a master gardener and work in a green house in one of the plantations here, belong to a quilting quilt, embroidery guild, and smocking guild and a small sewing group. I like all three. I especially like making "Wee Care Gowns" with the smocking guild. I have lots of friends outside of home unlike some of my DSL's and DS who, to me do nothing but clean house. Miss work? NEVER!!!! Loving retirement? BETTER THAN SLICED BREAD!!!
    Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 PM
    Power Poster

I'm retired and doing all the things I couldn't do while working. I belong to three quilting groups, meet with friends for quilting every other week,keep busy with church activities, exercise class but most of all just enjoy life.
    Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 AM

I retired due to ill health about 6 years ago. I started quilting then. I am never bored or have nothing to do. I arise between 5 and 6 am with a brisk walk of about 15 minutes with dogs. Now time for breakfast and a sit down to read quilting board etc .
    Usually around 8 I begin quilting or knitting or what ever. I also have a free bus pass and am enjoying travelling on a bus. I can see over hedges.
    Go to a quilting club on a Friday. Not sure it is for quilting or a chat. Great fun.
    I also read anything except books with boats as a theme.
    I live alone so everything is fun.
    I have no strings tying me down to time or place.
    Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 AM

My husband and I are both retired....we often say we don't know how we had time to work, we are so busy now.....We both volunteer the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month making sack lunches for the homeless population in Fort Smith. I volunteer as a docent for the Historical Society from May to October....I'm in the sewing room almost every day...I have 7 grandchildren to make quilts for (our sons married gals with children, so we got built in grandchildren!!)