Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • River levels in Baton Rouge >
  • River levels in Baton Rouge

• River levels in Baton Rouge

Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM

I love visiting Baton Rouge and have been watching all this water. We had came down to visit LSU for my son and loved it there. I did make a wrong turn, we had took the ferry at St. Francisville to cross the river and instead of following everyone else, we made a wrong turn. We travelled all the way to a little town called Simmesport and had crossed the Atchifilaya River bridge. I saw a sign that said so many miles to Alexandria and knew we were heading in the wrong direction. I have always wondered why there are no locks and dams past St. Louis. My prayers are with you and all the people in the Mississippi's path.
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM

What a mind bender! I think I would be very stressed about the unknown you are facing. I have been praying for all the flood victims lately...so many!! Bless you.
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Just came back from a community meeting to discuss the impending crisis on the river. Boy, that stuff is scary. Don't know what to think, because no one knows for sure what will happen. Lots of "what could" happen, but, do we leave? Stay? I do have all the important papers in a box by the door. And we have flood insurance, and I figure if we leave I'm taking all my sewing machines, and quilting stuff, and the rest can take care of itself. Do you think my priorities are a little upside down? Most of the grandchildren pictures are on the computer (I guess we would take that too) and everything else can be replaced. We could probably live without half of what we have.
    Can you move as much as possible as high as possible? Hope it works out for you....
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM
    Power Poster

I appreciate the support from all of you wonderful board members. Not sure about moving things up - I think they would have to be moved out. We have friends who will take in our things, and us, and when we get back to town we will figure it out. Maybe by then some other decisions will have been made to help us decide. And erstan947, I would be the other old lady with the sewing machines, me saying "no, I can't leave any of them!!!!"
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Oh My! I certainly feel for you! Will def. keep you & those in this path of danger in my prayers! If you havea cell phone, keep it charged and get a recharger thing for you car if you do not have one. Please keep us posted as you can.
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 PM

I feel for those of you who have been flooded or who are in danger of being flooded in the next days/weeks! Our home in Florida was flooded back in the mid 90's - not fun to say the least. You are all in our thoughts and prayers! Do get those sewing machines out or high enough to stay dry!
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM

I feel for those of you who have been flooded or who are in danger of being flooded in the next days/weeks! Our home in Florida was flooded back in the mid 90's - not fun to say the least. You are all in our thoughts and prayers! Do get those sewing machines out or high enough to stay dry!
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM

This mess is affecting a lot of our people. Every one, please check in as often as you dare.

As a child in New Orleans in the 50's, I remember talk of Taming the River, and what a curse it would be on future generations. Indeed, I've lived long enough to see how right the shade tree engineers were in their predictions. "Ole Man River can't be tamed," they said. "Ya gotta study the land and you can see where the spillways need to be," the wise farmers insisted. But people wanted commerce along the river, and with commerce, came towns. Now comes worry and disaster. The only good thing? Richer soils when the waters recede. May the Force be With You.
    Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Don't know what to think, because no one knows for sure what will happen. Lots of "what could" happen, but, do we leave? Stay? I do have all the important papers in a box by the door. I figure if we leave I'm taking all my sewing machines, and quilting stuff, and the rest can take care of itself. Most of the grandchildren pictures are on the computer (I guess we would take that too) and everything else can be replaced. We could probably live without half of what we have.
    That's exactly how I felt last summer as the forest fire evacuation notice went up in my community. As a result, I have bought an external hard drive for my computer which now does regular back-ups onto the drive. It's small enough and portable enough to grab quickly if necessary. I also went around and took pictures of everything in the house - open cupboards, close up and longer range, inside storage areas and even inside drawers. I thought they would help my recall if necessary. In the end though, stuff is just stuff even though that statement can't begin to prevent how it feels to lose that stuff.
    Old 05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Don't know what to think, because no one knows for sure what will happen. Lots of "what could" happen, but, do we leave? Stay? I do have all the important papers in a box by the door. I figure if we leave I'm taking all my sewing machines, and quilting stuff, and the rest can take care of itself. Most of the grandchildren pictures are on the computer (I guess we would take that too) and everything else can be replaced. We could probably live without half of what we have.
    That's exactly how I felt last summer as the forest fire evacuation notice went up in my community. As a result, I have bought an external hard drive for my computer which now does regular back-ups onto the drive. It's small enough and portable enough to grab quickly if necessary. I also went around and took pictures of everything in the house - open cupboards, close up and longer range, inside storage areas and even inside drawers. I thought they would help my recall if necessary. In the end though, stuff is just stuff even though that statement can't begin to prevent how it feels to lose that stuff.
    Great advice. We have everything backed up with Carbonite, so that is a minor worry. Going to take pictures when we get back - I do have the receipts for the two major appliances, and TV we just got. I know it wouldn't be fun. Parents had a house fire. What a sad ordeal that was, but trying not to focus on that. Will keep you all posted as I hear things.