Roll-call... spanking

Old 07-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm kind of thinking - if a child has done something "wrong" - and knows it was wrong - I think the child is okay with an appropriate "punishment".
Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Not really. Once in a great while my Mom would swat one of us. Same with me with my kids. What I did that I regret much more is yelling. I feel like I yelled too much. My husband says he doesn't remember me as a "yeller". I hope it's true. My kids tell me that with 3 active boys they think I did my best
Old 07-25-2017, 02:42 PM

Thank you for the additions everyone.

When my kids were little, spanking equated to nothing more than a few pops on their thickly-padded didies, making more of a loud noise than anything, which 99% of the time got their attention and redirected their focus, but as they got older, the luxury of sporting a padded little bottom as they did as babes, was gone, so spankings stood for more. They wielded more meaning.

Would I spank again today if I were raising a young family? I'd say, yes, and I'd probably practice the same method I used back in the day, because I like to think it worked in our home. Sure, there will always be kids who fail to respond no matter what sort of punishment is administered, but then there are kids (like mine) who just needed an occasional reminder every now and then.

By the way, I was spanked, as were my siblings, then again, back in the 50's and 60's, spanking was the norm, as so many of us know.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM

I was spanked as a child, I am in my 60's. We spanked our boys for blatant disobedience or when they did something that was dangerous. We did not have to spank them very much at all as they were pretty good children. Most everything can be handled before a spanking is needed if parents are present and engaged and watching the children. My observation of child rearing today is that the training needs to be given to the parents, not the children. Parents are not engaged to see things before they happen and do something to prevent it. They are more connected to their devices or their interests and the children are raising themselves. (Yes, I see it in my own family and I feel so sorry for my little grands who are not being raised to be loving and lovable children. It breaks my heart.)
Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88
I was spanked as a child, I am in my 60's. We spanked our boys for blatant disobedience or when they did something that was dangerous. We did not have to spank them very much at all as they were pretty good children. Most everything can be handled before a spanking is needed if parents are present and engaged and watching the children. My observation of child rearing today is that the training needs to be given to the parents, not the children. Parents are not engaged to see things before they happen and do something to prevent it. They are more connected to their devices or their interests and the children are raising themselves. (Yes, I see it in my own family and I feel so sorry for my little grands who are not being raised to be loving and lovable children. It breaks my heart.)
I agree with everything you said. I see it all the time in lineups at department stores and supermarkets, kids out of control and parents at a complete loss as to what to do.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:18 AM

I was spanked and spanked my kids. It was what I knew. This is something I have given a lot of thought to...and have decided that spanking only shows who is in power or is bigger. It also teaches young children that it is okay to solve problems with force. There are better ways to handle most situations. Spanking is quick, but not something I would do now.
EDited to add: My husband was first born to older parents (a doctor and a teacher). When they decided they couldn't handle him (age 6), they sent him to live with a family who had a farm. He says loved it, but the lesson (in my view), is that if you don't do what we say...off you go. To this day, he still has problems knowing that he's loved and there aren't many things he can do to make him unlovable. They did not send the other two off...the second son looked like the mother's family and the last son had health problems. Some solutions have long-long repercussions.

Last edited by coopah; 07-26-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 AM

I was spanked as a kid, but I needed it and never resented it. My 4 of kids only needed a few, but one needed several She grew to be a wonderful lady and has several times expressed thanks that we disciplined her and brought her up in
the Word. As a teen she never gave us a lick of trouble.... no drugs or alcohol.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 AM

I think it is ok to spank when it to impress saving a life, building character and just because they are ornery.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah
I was spanked and spanked my kids. It was what I knew. This is something I have given a lot of thought to...and have decided that spanking only shows who is in power or is bigger. It also teaches young children that it is okay to solve problems with force. There are better ways to handle most situations. Spanking is quick, but not something I would do now.
EDited to add: My husband was first born to older parents (a doctor and a teacher). When they decided they couldn't handle him (age 6), they sent him to live with a family who had a farm. He says loved it, but the lesson (in my view), is that if you don't do what we say...off you go. To this day, he still has problems knowing that he's loved and there aren't many things he can do to make him unlovable. They did not send the other two off...the second son looked like the mother's family and the last son had health problems. Some solutions have long-long repercussions.
I really enjoyed your post and agree with what you wrote. The story about your husband is really sad
Old 07-26-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by osewme
As kids, we got spanked (disciplined) when needed and so did our daughter.
Same at my house