Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Rules of the clothesline... >
  • Rules of the clothesline...

• Rules of the clothesline...

Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    #3 hanging the shirts by the tails makes sense, no pin marks on the shoulders.
    They got ironed anyway. First the cuffs, then the under side of the collar then the top. Next the yoke and sleeves. Then the front and back. "Yoohoo, Madeline, did I get it right"?? She tried her best to teach me.

piney
    Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM

We have one of those square ones with a center pole. The plastic piece in the ground was pulled out (along with the concrete) when we added on to our house, but it's still back there. Maybe this fall I'll dig a hole and put it back up. Sure love the fresh clothes smell! But my DH hates the scratchy towels (I kinda like that). HHHmmmm. . . . sounds like a Saturday job to me! Thanks for reminding me.
    Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
    Rob

When my dryer went about 5 years ago, I started hanging clothes outside. I remember it as a kid too...running though the towels.

I still have not bought a new dryer and I am OK with it. Saves money and it is free. Some people at work caught on to it and started doing it too.
    Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM

WE lived in the country and did not have running water. We would draw the water from the well in a bucket heat it and pour it in the old ringer washing machine. We would run it thru the ringer into a tub full of rinse water and swish them around and then back through the ringer and out to the line. All rules above aaplied and Mom always sprinkled them and put in the refrig and then Ironed. I do not miss that and love the washer dryer age.
    Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 PM

The myth that clothes smell better on the line. Where do you live that your is air scented!?! My clothes smell like nothing, the latest brush fire or whatever the crazy neighbors are burning in the fireplace (they don't burn wood).
    Old 09-13-2010, 04:16 PM

that is just it - no smell equals fresh!! I spend winters in a condo complex with laundry rooms, the stink coming out of the dryers from fabric softeners etc is nauseating. Give me fresh air or even wood smoke any day.

And can you believe it, there are some municipalities that outlaw outside clothes drying (doesn't look nice, you know...)
    Old 09-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    that is just it - no smell equals fresh!! I spend winters in a condo complex with laundry rooms, the stink coming out of the dryers from fabric softeners etc is nauseating. Give me fresh air or even wood smoke any day.

And can you believe it, there are some municipalities that outlaw outside clothes drying (doesn't look nice, you know...)
    I have heard from lots of my friends that their neighborhood associations don't allow clotheslines because they are unsightly and will bring property values down.

PULEEEZE!!! Its free to use the solar clothedryer! We figured out that we saved about $50 per month this summer by not using the clothes dryer except for towels.
    DD has ecema, so scratchy towels are a bad idea. We don't use any products that have perfumes in them because they are very bad for her.
    Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!! Darn I remember those days as a teenager. My mother followed most of those rules!!
    Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I am so glad to have a dryer! Although I like the smell of sheets dried on the line, I have learned to love the smell of convenience!!! ha ha ha :lol: :-D
    LOL

This is hilarious. Dryers are a blessing! I have been considering putting up a clothesline for summertime, to save on electricity though. But alas, I guess I love the smell of convenience too!!
    Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM

OMGoodness!! I never knew there were "rules," but I do know that I have been following them all these years.....without ever realizing it! :oops: