Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Rummage Sales ,Flea Market  Antique Stores Thrift Stores >
  • Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

• Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM

I love them and am looking forward to going to some now that the weather if FINALLY getting better.

Margie
    Old 03-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Love to do those things too. I call it treasure trolling. When we first moved here we didn't bring furniture with us so needed something to sit on and after a long distance move on a budget found two just like new lazy boy recliners for 49 dollars each, not a scratch or anything on them. We felt we hit the jack pot. Somedays you get lucky and some days nothing but the hunt for treasures is fun.
    Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    I want a roadster!
    We got a 62 T-Bird last year, and after spending 4 months in the shop getting the motor and transmission done, it now is our "weekend cruiser" around town. So much fun. I learned to drive in a 62, and have wanted one ever since.

My youngest daughter (now 25) has been the "Yard Sale Queen" of our family since about age 10. She finds the greatest bargains at yard sales and on Craig'sList. They got an almost brand new couch with dual recliners yesterday for $100 off of Craig'sList. Her mother-in-law is just in awe of her bargain hunting!! I like to go along, but I am not nearly as good as she is.
    Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 AM

I know what you mean, my daughter now 11, came away from a garage sale last year with a Coach purse for $1. She said, "I tried to talk him down to 50 cents but he wouldn't take it." Not only does she find bargains but then also tries to offer less. She's my "Little Miss Fru-Gal"
    I found a garage sale with fabric tomorrow, and a living estate sale showing 3 old sewing machines. Where there's machines there should be fabric and notions, right? Anyway, I'm hitting both.
    Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 AM
    Banned

I love to go to all of them, but unfortunately now I cant do any of that any more, as walking causes a great deal of pain. I just told DH that we needed to start looking for a wheel chair in goodwell so that we can do something. we love gone to the beach and looking threw the antigue shops. Penny
    Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
    I love to go to all of them, but unfortunately now I cant do any of that any more, as walking causes a great deal of pain. I just told DH that we needed to start looking for a wheel chair in goodwell so that we can do something. we love gone to the beach and looking threw the antigue shops. Penny
    Check with your local American Legion and see if they have a wheel chair. The ones around here have medical equipment that they loan out usually at no charge. People around here donate gently used things like wheel chairs, walkers, canes, crutches, even hospital beds to our American Legion. Several different Lodges such as Elks, Eagles, Moose, Masons, Lions, and so on will sometimes help with the cost if you're on a fixed income or limited budget.
    Or even your home church might help.
    Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by penny doty
    I just told DH that we needed to start looking for a wheel chair in goodwell so that we can do something. Penny
    Just get you one of those scooters. My mom has one and her insurance paid for it! If you have medicare or medicaid they will usually pay for one if your doctor gives the okay. But different states have different clauses.

Billy
    Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

I go every now and then to play at a goodwill. I rarely find anything anymore that I can't live without. My best find?? A huge painting by Pollock. Honest ... Some twenty years ago.
    Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I go every now and then to play at a goodwill. I rarely find anything anymore that I can't live without. My best find?? A huge painting by Pollock. Honest ... Some twenty years ago.
    Wow, what a find! Do you still have it? Have you ever had it appraised? Besides being a quilter I'm also a painter. I have lifesize oil portraits that I did of my parents. I have a sister that paints and one of my aunts used to paint before macular(sp?) degeneration. Just between you and me I have never understood hanging prints in my home when painting are so readily available and for about the same price. They just add so much more warmth to a home than prints do. Of course that's just my personal opinion and worth about as much as the paper this is written on. :lol:
    Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 AM

What a fun topic this is!
    I don't regularly go 'treasure shopping' (or shopping at all really!), but when I do wander in to the odd thrift store or garage sale, I find myself drawn to glass stuff - jars, vases, paperweights - and shiny metal mechanical things. I have looked for fabric or quilty stuff, but so far, no luck! One of my best buds is the ULTIMATE thrifter! He found a stand mixer from the 50's or 60's for his wife for $3. Gave me an awesome toaster from the 40's that we later saw at an antique co-op shop for $40. He used to collect old radios (probably only paid $5 tops for any one)....then when he was looking for tubes for them, met a guy who was closing his repair shop - & the guy GAVE him boxes of old (but NEW) tubes! We used to be roomies & had an apt in a big complex in Pasadena - they had the best dumpsters around!! We found enuf good 'stuff' that we got a table at a collectibles show & made $500 on things we found in the dumpsters!