Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM

I'm brand new on this site, but wanted to say....beautiful posts,ladies.Very inspiring.

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    I wanted to jump in and mention that when I started this journey more than 18 months ago I weighed almost 500 pounds and I am now at 382. Yes, true, I did have weight loss surgery but it is more about what I am putting in my mouth than what my band is doing in my stomach. Anyway, I think we are all beautiful and on the occasional time that I post a picture of myself NO ONE has ever said a bad thing about me. This is a great group of people and I could never thank y'all enough for the support and love I have received since I joined this group about a year ago.

Stay encouraged! We are all on different parts of our journeys but having each other to support and love is awesome and essential to our success.

Love y'all!

Missy
    Well,we don't say anything,because your pretty.Weight don't make us ugly.I bet all of us are not bad to look at.And it don't matter what we weigh.Some of the most georgeous women I've seen were big women.I think too skinny is not healthy,and for most of us we want and need to be and get healthy.A lot of us are on prescriptions for obesiety type problems.Like diabetis,sleep apnea,high blood pressure,oxygen,heart problems,high cholestrol,and so on.And could get off all of them just by getting the weight off.Missy,I'm so glad you chimed in,couldn't a been better timing.For the new folks,missy made up her mind she didn't want to die,and did something about it.She's lost a lot of weight,but needs to lose more.The more she gets off,the more yrs she,and us will gain.I've added many yrs by losing 93 pounds.I too just got sick of being fat and made up my mind to lose the weight.Only I am going slow and doing it 5 pounds at a time.So you all can do it too.Good luck ladies,lets,get er done and get to going.I am losing weight,I am in control of what I eat.It's what I don't eat that is my diet! If we're gaining weight,we're over eating.If we're maintaining,we're holding and not overeating.If we're losing,we're eating less and have a deficit at the end of the day,and that's how we lose fat.Eat on small salad plates,or scrape 1/3 off your plate and eat only that.Missy says also,when you go eat out,ask for a doggy bag and put 1/2 in for another meal later and only eat the 1/2 you have left.If you want to weigh,125 pounds,and weigh 250 pounds,like me,we have to eat what a 125 pound person eats.To get that number,we X the weight by 10 Like 125 lbs X 10 = 1250 calories a day we'd have to eat to reach that goal.Hope that helps.Oh,and the 125 is just an example.But works with any number.I'd like to get down to 140.And stay with realistic goals and attainable numbers.
    Thank you so much! You are just so right. I did not want to die and so I started doing what I could so that I could live. I love my life and I am not sorry I have done all the things I have done so that I could have a better and longer life.

Missy
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
    Good morning all. Started this month at 157#, had a small drop of just under a half pound this morning so feel like a good start. Hop to keep it up.
    Lisa I have the same problem with evening snack attack cravings. I have started a GFG to keep my hands busy and it seems to help. I also put all those things that I seem to crave wrapped up very securely so I have to make an effort to get to them. I feel like a little kid with no control to have to play tricks on myself. But if it works them it's worth it.
    MJ how are you? My mother in law had the same thing and she lived a long time with it so keep looking forward to each day, none of us know how many we have so we just do the best each day and welcome each sunrise with renewed hope. Keeping you in my prayers as always.
    oldcottentop, we used to sing that song each morning in first grade just before or after the pledge. I don't think they do those things in school anymore.
    Gail, I threw myself into quilting more than 15 years ago as a means to control my grazing. Amazingly, I'm talented enough to do both at the same time.
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
    Good morning to all. Hope your day went well yesterday.

The rains have started here. It rained all night last night...not hard just steady. I am far enough up from the Gulf, I don't think I will have too much bad weather. I think. But I am prepared for a shut in weekend.....I have enough coffee, Kitty Girl has her food and treats, and I have enough quilting projects to work on. What more could I ask for :-D

Again, welcome to all the new ones.

Ya'll have a wonderful, blessed day.
    My prayer for you is that you do not lose power. I am sick to death of the rolling blackouts in my area. I envy your time. I don't know what I'd do with myself for a long weekend. I'm sure I'd love it, but I'd be ready for my guys to get home.
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 AM

My Saturday plans unraveled at midnight when I got up with a sick stomach. When I got up at 4:30, I could not get past the distance of my walk when I should have been focusing on how good I would feel once I was finished. I was also concerned about the impact it would have on my day - HAD a lunch date and I still have to take Josh & 2 of his friends to the library at the Univ of Houston for the afternoon. I am disappointed in myself - I am better than this.

I am having mental toughness deficiencies. I need to update my Spark Page to redirect my focus!

Too bad it is so hot or I could walk during the library visit. Yeah right....in an area I don't know? nuh-uh!
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leann
    Originally Posted by quilthappygail
    Good morning all. Started this month at 157#, had a small drop of just under a half pound this morning so feel like a good start. Hop to keep it up.
    Lisa I have the same problem with evening snack attack cravings. I have started a GFG to keep my hands busy and it seems to help. I also put all those things that I seem to crave wrapped up very securely so I have to make an effort to get to them. I feel like a little kid with no control to have to play tricks on myself. But if it works them it's worth it.
    MJ how are you? My mother in law had the same thing and she lived a long time with it so keep looking forward to each day, none of us know how many we have so we just do the best each day and welcome each sunrise with renewed hope. Keeping you in my prayers as always.
    oldcottentop, we used to sing that song each morning in first grade just before or after the pledge. I don't think they do those things in school anymore.
    Gail, I threw myself into quilting more than 15 years ago as a means to control my grazing. Amazingly, I'm talented enough to do both at the same time.
    LOL!!! Celebrate talent where ever you can!!!
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 AM
    mim

Those witching hours are universal with a lot of health and emotional problems. When I was a caregiver, one of the jobs was to be with an alzheimers man who was in a locked environment. He would be "overly physical" and argumentative only during those hours so the family hired us. Otherwise the facility wouldn't be able to keep him.

I found that when I had PMS it was always during those hours that I wanted to eat or get cranky at anyone who was around. Doing things with my hands or taking a walk -- or even playing solitaire on the computer helps to get thru those dangerous hours.
    Good luck to us all who need to hang on thru twilight time

Mim
    Originally Posted by ljs317
    Yes here I am in my place with my bright shiney face! Thanks for that little memory

I did pretty good for August with a 5 pound loss. Yea me!

I have a problem. I call it the "Witching hours" from 5 to 7 pm i am really hungry and will eat anything I can get my hands on and then regret it. If I can get though those 2 hours I'm good. Does this happen to anyone else?
    I have to work really hard to stay out of the Kitchen at this time. I manage somedays but others ugh!

Lisa
    Lisa, I also struggle with this. I am interested to hear what others think.
    Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Lynne, you are far from having mental toughness deficiencies. Your perseverance in staying on your restrictive diet proved that, plus your exercising through the knee pain. Maybe your body needs to rest once in a while. We are not Superwoman no matter how much we'd like to be.

It stormed all night here. Continuous thunder. I always feel for the campers as I live in a tourist area. It has cleared and is lovely out now.

I am housework deficienct. I think I burned myself out with all those years of spotless housekeeping. Did I really strip and rewax a kitchen floor that was 16' by 26' EVERY Friday? Yes, even when I was pregnant for twins. Now I've gone the other way. A cluttered house leads to a cluttered body (cluttered with pounds). Anyone want to kick me into gear?

Have a clean eating, PRODUCTIVE day.
    Judy
    Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Irishrose, you are just too nice. Thank you.

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Good morning, y'all. Yeah, I know it's almost not morning. I am back on my screwy hours. My latest quilt started to come together, so I didn't watch the clock and it was 3:38 when I went to bed. My brain knows the best sleep is before midnight, but I've never learned to go to bed alone, so I stay up.

PokerDiva, a food plan doesn't have to be a deprivation plan. If you want the bacon, then have one slice. Put it on a plate and sit at your eating place, cut the treat in small bites and savor it slowly. Your body will think you had a lot, you'll be happy because you weren't deprived and one slice won't hurt if you work out the calories - either walk further or eat less. Thank your husband for cooking one perfect slice for you. Everything in moderation. It's the hand to mouth at the stove that gets me in trouble, not what I eat at the table.
    Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM

I am glad that I have joined ya'll. I started on the 1st of August, going to the gym with a friend. We both made a commitment of going 6 days a week. 3 days cardio and 3 days cardio/strength training, and we also had a trainer to help us. Cause as I told my friend, I have been doing this for years on my own and it has brought my to this. Think we need some expert help. So, we have been at it for 5 weeks with a new healthy way of eating (trying not to use the word diet anymore) and exercise every day. Have dropped 11 lbs and 2 dress sizes. I am glad to have found this site for the encourgement and advise.
    Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose

I bought a South Beach Diet book for a quarter yesterday. I think Dr Agatston is on the right track for me. I truly enjoy high protein/low carb as long as I can have non starchy vegetables.
    Judy, I'd love to hear about the recipes/menus that you enjoy best.
    Lynne
    I studied the South Beach Diet on U-Tube on Ellen McCaulie's channel Pray It Off which is on losing weight only.It sounded like a great plan.She went from 378 pounds down to 160.So,worked great for her.