Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 AM

WOW ...congrats to Oldcottontop ......what a huge loss! :thumbup:

Can I ask what a skinny fat quarter is? :D
    Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 AM

A skinny FQ is just a FQ. This thread doesn't like to call anything fat, so someone changed the name. If you don't have a FQ, you can send a linear quarter yard. If you don't have an Autumn print, send a blender. I hope I do mine earlier this month. I usually don't it get out until the late middle of the month. My problem - choosing fabric for other people. I owe a board member a half yard. I need to make a choice and get that out, too.

18 pounds is impressive! Congratulations.
    Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM

oldcottontop-- congrats! wow! my first month i lost 5 lbs, i think, but i'd been slowly losing for a while before that. i'm a little bit jealous, but green is a good color for me!guess you're in the 5 lb challenge, right? very well done, dear! what color would you like?
    Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Thank you.....In all my yrs of quilting,have never bought a fat quarter.The 1st post said red or green.Might have to go shopping :D

[quote=irishrose]A skinny FQ is just a FQ. This thread doesn't like to call anything fat, so someone changed the name. If you don't have a FQ, you can send a linear quarter yard. If you don't have an Autumn print, send a blender.
    Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM

CONGRATS TO OLDCOTTONTOP!!!!
    That is so impressive you are a star. I will PM you today and now to pick the perfect skinny Q for you.
    Had english muffin with pb for breakfast with 4 oz of oj and just had 10 red grapes for snack. I just hope DH doesn't want to go our for lunch today at a place w/o a salad on the menu. I have no idea what for dinner unless our southern neighbor comes through with the ribs he said he would share with us. I love southern cooking. Thats why I'm here trying to shed some of the rich buttery yummy foods I have loved to eat. I have always enjoyed cooking for people so if you come to my home for dinner there is always more food than anyone could eat at one meal. Those days are for the most part over. Just can't eat that way anymore, not if I want to be healthy.
    So glad there are so many joining in on the challenge. The more of us there are the more we will work at making our goal or even surpassing it.
    Have a wonderful weekend eat smart and move as much as you can even if it's just sittting on a stool and swinging your legs and moving your arms about. As Xylie says "lets geter done"
    Gail
    Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 AM

I'd like to sign up for the 5pd challenge, but can't find the post.
    Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
    WOW ...congrats to Oldcottontop ......what a huge loss! :thumbup:

Can I ask what a skinny fat quarter is? :D
    skinny quarter is what we are referring to as our Fat quarters we send the winner.
    Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM

[quote=plainpat]Thank you.....In all my yrs of quilting,have never bought a fat quarter.The 1st post said red or green.Might have to go shopping :D

Originally Posted by irishrose
    A skinny FQ is just a FQ. This thread doesn't like to call anything fat, so someone changed the name. If you don't have a FQ, you can send a linear quarter yard. If you don't have an Autumn print, send a blender.
    you can cut from your stash if you have it. I just bought some (FQ's) skinny quarters of new batiks that are a western them. Great for texas.
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Thank you, thank you to all the warm wishes. Some are asking what I did to lose the weight and I thought I would write a little about it here.

For starters, I logged into this thread each and every morning and read all the encouraging words, tips, ideas. I also weighed, measured and wrote down every morsel that went into my mouth…even those little round peppermints that just melt in your mouth…(25 cals a piece). “You bite it, you write it” was mentioned on here and that’s what I did. I ate very little processed foods….like TV dinners or the boxed meals…those can be very high in sodium. I live alone and sometimes cooking for one can be hard but thats what I did, cooked.. And I did not eat the same amount of calories every day….one day maybe 1200, then the next 1800, then 1500, then back to 1200. I pretty much eat what I want...just watched portions. I still eat my ice cream in the evenings....just not a 1/2 a gal but a 1/2 cup and figure that into my daily calorie count. Just mixed it up; confuse my body to when more food would be coming.

I lead a fitness class to seniors three mornings a week and have full access to the health club, but my exercise passion is walking. On those days I am at the health club I hit the treadmill and walk for one hour. I mix these workouts up. One day I might walk really fast and no incline, another day maybe slow but high incline, or maybe a little of both. Confuse your body by mixing it up. On the days I don’t go to the health club I walk in my neighborhood, weather permitting. I try to walk six days a week…Sunday is my day of rest. On August 23 I started to jog a little bit and plan on training for a half marathon.

In 2009 I lost a total of 90.2 lbs. and have kept it off. I decided I wanted to try to lose those last 30 lbs.…got 12 more to go. This month my short term goal will be to get myself less than 200 lbs. We all need long term goals and short term goals that are reachable.

Again, thank you all for your support and encouragement I received this month. The rules say you can’t win two months in a row, but it’s not really about winning because when we lose even 1 lb., we are winners! So I am still going to be logging in each day as I did last month and put in my two cents worth.

Ya'll have a wonderful, blessed day
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 PM

A quote from Purplemen's late July invitation to the August challenge: "In August we are getting ready for fall. This month's theme is Fall colors or prints. As always if you can not send the theme fabric please send what you have. If you don't have an FQ, send a linear 1/4 yard."

September's winner will get red or green in October. With it being the 4th already, we need to get our FQs to oldcottontop (last month's winner) if she's going to use them this year.

oldcottontop, your dedication is admirable. I'm sure I would put off walking every day if I didn't have a commitment to my two walking partners. It isn't fair to have a dog in a situation where they can't run free if you don't walk them at least once a day, IMO. I wish you further success though I have to say I think 2 pounds a week is a realistic goal after that first big loss. Your previous 90 pounds loss with maintenance was commendable, too. Again, congratulations.

plainpat - the 5 pounds in September is Xylie's personal challenge within the bigger challenge. Just let her know here that you are in - you do it here, not a PM. I will extend a challenge to the two pound a MONTH losers like me to get it done. I haven't met that goal in a few months. Anyone want to join me? Let me know here.

I dropped a pound the first day I lowered my carbs and raised my protein. But nothing more for three days. I get discouraged easily. What next? I'll hang in there a few more days.

The lake walk looked gorgeous when I passed it to go to church this morning. A 2 1/2 mile walkway with old fashioned streetlights on beautiful Lake Cadillac. Lily and Moira are grounded from it, but I may have to try one more time. The sun is shining and a lovely breeze is blowing. See'ya.