Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by gaevren
    Well I was going to take part in this adventure- but now I have to bow out!

I found out literally just yesterday that I'm pregnant. So no weight loss for me! I am however going to try to limit my weight gain (within a healthy range, of course).
    I always lose weight when I'm pregnant because I eat better. Then after the baby gets here life gets so hectic I put it back on.

Sometimes I don't think my problem is overeating as much as it is not eating. I can go all day and not eat, but when I do it's the wrong foods.

I have never been a breakfast person but am trying to change that. I am trying to change a lot of things. Cleaning out the clutter (unwanted pounds) from my body and my house.
    Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 PM

mrsh2008-- you sound like you have the same pattern i do. my body is in constant starvation mode. so it holds onto everything it gets never knowing if it'll get any more. i find if i'm going to snack i want cookies, breads, cakes, not so much candy, but lately if i start something it's hard to stop before it's all gone. i'm trying to choose fruits and veggies for my snacks, but i'm not always successful. my dh and i went grocery shopping and i bought a few little things for dessert after meals. they are all gone. did i mention we went yesterday? all carbs, all gone. guess i can't do that! time for a new and better plan! i just seem to have strayed away! xylie- slap me around and get me back to where i need to be! i can do this, i have been doing it, i need to keep doing it right!
    Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 AM

Know what you mean.I did the same way for too many yrs & have the hips to prove it!
    Have also been clearing out the clutter from our closets.I feel if it hasn't been worn/used in a yr, it needs to be gone.Sent a whole lot to Salvation Army .Let others use what they need.I'm out of the clothes buying mode & don't intend to get new ones till the flab is gone.

Sometimes I don't think my problem is overeating as much as it is not eating. I can go all day and not eat, but when I do it's the wrong foods.

I have never been a breakfast person but am trying to change that. I am trying to change a lot of things. Cleaning out the clutter (unwanted pounds) from my body and my house.[/quote]
    Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Good morning!

'We're marching to Zion, beautiful, beautiful Zion, we're marching onward Zion, Zion the beautiful city of God..."

Forgive my singing, but that came to mind this morning as I was reading the posts.

Any movement activity counts in our WalkAbout. If you ride a bike, count the miles, hop, figure it out...

Can I count the miles in my wheelchair? It's electric, but I don't want you to leave me behind...

I lost 1/2 pound and I am so excited!
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Good Morning all the losers....I am off work for the next several days and plan to use that time to get some sewing/quilting done. I hadnt done anything at the machine in a few months. So I have several BOM's I had started and will finish the blocks and work on the setting of them.

This week one of the guys I work with asked me to make his wife a T-shirt quilt from her old t-shirts. I told him I hadn't done one yet and wanted to. So he brought me the shirts, but before I tackle those, I will take my old t-shrirts and make a practice one.

Now have any of you done a t-shirt quilt? I have been looking on line for info and what to charge him for this. It looks like most are charging by the number of t-shirts. I have to check and see how many are in the big black trash bag he brought. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also have 2 toddler quilts to finish, the quilting and binding and got an order for a 3rd one. I am so excited to get these done now that it is much cooler here in Texas

Have a wonderful and blessed day.

Cindy
    Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Cindy, I did a t shirt quilt for someone. I charged her $300 and it had all different sizes shirts from baby to XL. It was a pain but she loved it. I found lots of patterns online. If you want i can post a picture when I'm on my other computer. Good luck!!!

BTW I am down 1 1/2 pounds this week!!! whooohooo!!!
    Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM

MJ, you can count anything you want as you are medically excused from activity until mid October. The rest of us can convert minutes to miles - 30 minutes of activity equals 2 miles. That may be a little generous, but it's easier to calibrate than 18 minutes a mile. Now you have me curious as to how long two miles takes. I have a couple of two mile routes measured. I will time them. I do sometimes have to remind Lily and Moira that 'walk' means continuous forward motion.

nancia, why on Earth do you buy the stuff if you know you can't stay out of it? Purchase single servings - 100 calorie cookie packs, granola bars (the little squares covered in chocolate are good), ice cream bars, etc. When I make muffins or brownies, I freeze them immediately in serving size bags. I am too cheap to have more than one a day of anything measured, but can eat at least half a bag of unmeasured. I can eat a container of ice cream in two days, so I can't have it in the house. Actually, I could eat it all at once, but have some concern for the fat and my heart. There's no one to take care of me if I have another heart attack. You are an intelligent, warm, funny person. Use that intelligence to see what you are doing to yourself. Consider your posterior kicked!

Does the sentence, "If I eat this all up, then I won't have it in the house, so I can start fresh tomorrow" mean anything to anyone else? That one gets me in trouble, so for me, the food plan has to start in the grocery store.

On a lighter note, what do you hear from Olivia? Do you have any new pictures? She is so beautiful. She reminds me of my granddaughter who is of Hispanic descent. M was not a beautiful baby, but was before she a year old and still is at 17. Is Olivia your first grandchild? I have 12 and would like a 13th, but my son and his wife aren't getting any younger.

One more border to put on the quilt and the fabric I have looks too pink. I tell my oldest daughter that if it's sewn together, it matches, but I'm not sure I believe it myself. Decisions, decisions. I am anxious/scared to start the FMQ. A Carpenter Star has a lot of plain areas, so there's no print to hid my stitching. Help! I want to do it, but ---. The next quilt will be multiple wildlife panels put together with various borders. I know he likes flying geese. The Marine Corps panel will have to go on the back. It doesn't coordinate well with the others at all.
    Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Cindy, I did a t shirt quilt for someone. I charged her $300 and it had all different sizes shirts from baby to XL. It was a pain but she loved it. I found lots of patterns online. If you want i can post a picture when I'm on my other computer. Good luck!!!

BTW I am down 1 1/2 pounds this week!!! whooohooo!!!
    What did you use to stablize the t-shirts? How big did the quilt end up. If I have enough shirts they would like it to be king if possible.

Would love to see a picture when you have a chance.

Thanks
    Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
    mim

I'm sorry -- I don't have the gingerbread cook recipe here in Maine --

The way I figured out the recipe was to take the ingredients of my fav recipe. Then I got out my calorie book and separated all the ingredients. I look at all the calories and where I could alter the recipe -- took out the brown sugar, and 1/2 (or more) of the molasses. I doubled the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice so there would still be the strong flavors and dark color.. As I recall, the ginger stayed the same.

I changed the shortening by using some unsweetened applesauce instead. I totalled the calories and then figured how many cookies I could get at the calorie count I needed.

It was a rolled cook recipe and I rolled the dough thinner than I usually would.

I did a lot of recipe re-arranging so he could have a reasonablely happy diet but still live within his health needs.

When we met he was a 100 mile weekend bicycle racer and we did a lot of 10 mile hikes. We had 5 really good years before things changed and he started having increasing problems. It was a mental challenge to "have our cake and eat it too" -- looking up new recipes kept me busy.

Mim

I
    Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Yesterday went well, I've stuck to eating healthy and less this whole week. I am down some weight, so that helps too. It's easier for me to stay accountable since I have to post if I didn't stick to it. I'm still trying to drink plenty of water, but I need to throw myself outside for a walk. (even if it is hot outside) LOL I have a dehydrator, so that sounds like an interesting snack to make.

I see a lot of people posting on weight they are losing or activity like walking, so keep up the awesome work!