Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Happy birthday bjeriann! Hope your day is awesome.

Doing ok with eating so far today. My husband is down a few more pounds and I'm still a few pounds away from getting under 200. Hope the weekend is going well for everyone!
    Old 09-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
    I don't know how you feel about the subject but I thought this article was interesting. Since I started my diet I've been eating all whole wheat bread for the fiber. Last night I made me a good old fashioned sandwich on white bread and then I had another piece with 1/2 tsp butter on it. It did a real number on my tummy and I feel very congested today. I won't be eating white bread again I don't think.

http://janicewhite.hubpages.com/hub/...is-bad-for-you

So sorry to hear that you had problems with your tummy...I know that can be really bad. I have been eating wheat bread for a couple of years now and white bread just does not taste good to me any more. Good luck on your weight loss.
    Old 09-10-2011, 05:54 PM
    elm

Hello all,
    It's late Saturday the 10th, and I just got back from my cruise on Lake Michigan. I'm afraid to step on the scale. I did eat a lot but also walked a lot. Will weigh myself tomorrow morning and let you know.
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM

createfourpaws, that is lovely and spacious room. Nice machines, too. I hope you didn't throw anything out. My two oldest daughters want to get into my sewing storage that used to be two pretty bedrooms, but I tell them not while I'm alive. If they wanted anything, it'd be different, but they just want to clean them out.

I bought a baked potato bag at the quilt show today. Got home at 4:00, used it at 8:45 and trashed it at 8:51. It caught on fire at five minutes. Luckily, I stayed in the kitchen because I'd read about that possibilty on the QB. Now my house smells terrible and I bet my hair does, too, plus I am all congested. I never wanted one because I don't cook with the microwave, but I tried it in a weak moment. Microwave rays change the chemical composition of food, so the only thing I do with it is boil water. It is a convection oven, too.

Food - light. Exercise - medium. Water - still not there. Weight - good this morning. Very close to a zero, but this one has been celebrated once and not held, so I'm trying not to get too excited.

I'm tired. Those concrete floors at the college are a killer. I am going to turn on the end of the football game and look through quilt magazines. They were 10 cents each at the show, so I came home with quite a few. I want a quilt with curved seams for my oldest daughter. My son is next, but he's easy. Wildlife panels with borders with a USMC panel on the back and he's good to go. K is my problem - she's a quilter and an exact one who will work with small pieces, so hers has to be nice. Though her little sister's Carpenter Star is gorgeous to both of us and it's huge pieces.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    createfourpaws, that is lovely and spacious room. Nice machines, too. I hope you didn't throw anything out. My two oldest daughters want to get into my sewing storage that used to be two pretty bedrooms, but I tell them not while I'm alive. If they wanted anything, it'd be different, but they just want to clean them out.

I bought a baked potato bag at the quilt show today. Got home at 4:00, used it at 8:45 and trashed it at 8:51. It caught on fire at five minutes. Luckily, I stayed in the kitchen because I'd read about that possibilty on the QB. Now my house smells terrible and I bet my hair does, too, plus I am all congested. I never wanted one because I don't cook with the microwave, but I tried it in a weak moment. Microwave rays change the chemical composition of food, so the only thing I do with it is boil water. It is a convection oven, too.

Food - light. Exercise - medium. Water - still not there. Weight - good this morning. Very close to a zero, but this one has been celebrated once and not held, so I'm trying not to get too excited.

I'm tired. Those concrete floors at the college are a killer. I am going to turn on the end of the football game and look through quilt magazines. They were 10 cents each at the show, so I came home with quite a few. I want a quilt with curved seams for my oldest daughter. My son is next, but he's easy. Wildlife panels with borders with a USMC panel on the back and he's good to go. K is my problem - she's a quilter and an exact one who will work with small pieces, so hers has to be nice. Though her little sister's Carpenter Star is gorgeous to both of us and it's huge pieces.

Judy
    Judy,
    No I didn't throw anything away that wasnt trash. I also go up there and sew with her.

Sounds like your potato bag was made with polyster and not all cotton. I made several and haven't had a problem with any of mine.

This week I will be getting my apartment organized and cleaned up. I will take some pre and post pictures to share.

I am losing and in control

Cindy
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws

Judy
    Judy,
    No I didn't throw anything away that wasnt trash. I also go up there and sew with her.

Sounds like your potato bag was made with polyster and not all cotton. I made several and haven't had a problem with any of mine.

This week I will be getting my apartment organized and cleaned up. I will take some pre and post pictures to share.

I am losing and in control

Cindy
    Okay along these lines...I have a question for all y'all...I am making hot/cold rice bags and have been told that denim is the best fabric because it won't catch fire in the microwave...is this true? I would love to make the bags with a variety of fabrics (all cotton though)...

Hmmm...what do y'all think?

Missy
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM

I gave my mom a potato bag that I made and it started on fire. I know I used only cotton fabric and thread. I even bought the special thicker batting made just for the bags. I felt so bad. I wonder if it is because her microwave doesn't have a turntable.
    Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 PM

i bake my potatoes in the oven on a shish-ka-bob skewer and it takes a half hour at 400. i'd rether wait 1/2 hr than have to put out a fire. it's quick enough for me. (i feel like mrs slowski from the commercial) lol!
    Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM

The exterior was definitely all cotton. This guild loves Warm and Natural batting, which I think is only 80% cotton. I just assumed it would have the cotton batting. I do not have a turntable. No harm done.

I have a heatable bag with buckwheat hulls in it. I like it a lot. The rice ones I made got a scorched smell. Can you tell I am very sensitive to smells?
    Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM

The exterior was definitely all cotton. This guild loves Warm and Natural batting, which I think is only 80% cotton. I just assumed it would have the cotton batting. I do not have a turntable. No harm done.

I have a heatable bag with buckwheat hulls in it. I like it a lot. The rice ones I made got a scorched smell. Can you tell I am very sensitive to smells?
    Where could I buy buckwheat hulls? I am open to having something different in them so long as the purpose/end result is still the same. Does that make sense?